littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: How would a portable A/C work in a typical Russian apartment?

How would a portable A/C work in a typical Russian apartment?

(I know it's not one of the things in this list, but it is something technical. )

Unlike the sash windows like in the USA or UK, windows in Russia are casement or tilt-n-turn, so I am wondering how to hook up the all important vent.

The forte window and a window adapter.

If the A/C is from US with 100-115 V AC input only, you'll need a VERY powerful transformer 220 to 110 V.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    If the A/C is from US with 100-115 V AC input only, you'll need a VERY powerful transformer 220 to 110 V.
    I've got a couple of those. It's way cheaper to buy super quality items in the us and bring it to rus than to buy stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I've got a couple of those. It's way cheaper to buy super quality items in the us and bring it to rus than to buy stuff here.
    -super quality items - made i nChina? does not mean because of that it is crap, but i doubt things.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Bring a 500-1000 Watt quality transformer? it is somewhere around 5 to 8 Kilogram, good luck with that item in a suitcase, there is a risk for the suitcase, the other items in the suitcase, and the transformer if it is a case.
    With a little luck you can bring it on the plane as carry-on luggage, that may work out well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (19-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    Unlike the sash windows like in the USA or UK, windows in Russia are casement or tilt-n-turn, so I am wondering how to hook up the all important vent.
    I did it with a plywood plate and some wood from the local DIY stroy marked, and an angle grinder as a wood saw (works well, but smoke as hell), one part of the plywood as a platform for the A/C to stand on, the wood added under this plate to level it, an other part of the plywood was used to fill the window hole and some more wood was used as wedges to lock this plywood in place. Not the most beautiful construction, but it worked out ok.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (19-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Bring a 500-1000 Watt quality transformer? it is somewhere around 5 to 8 Kilogram, good luck with that item in a suitcase, there is a risk for the suitcase, the other items in the suitcase, and the transformer if it is a case.
    With a little luck you can bring it on the plane as carry-on luggage, that may work out well.
    I bought the transformers here in msk.

But, I regularly pay for extra weight and all my bags are stuffed to the limit with weird crap. For instance, an electronic drum kit for my kid was $500 in the us but around 2k USD here in msk.

So 8 kg is no problem

These air conditioners are sold in Russia, and they are about in line with the price for them in the USA, so there is no point in buying it in the USA and paying hundreds of dollars to ship it.