littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Nostalgic

Feeling Nostalgic

Greetings to all members. Whenever I enter this forum, I feel so nostalgic. Remebering how active it was before the social media tookby storm. Met intersting people from here, heard and shared valuable information. I am not so active on this website as I used to be before and I appreciate & thank the few people who spend their time to keep this forum alive.
    I have asked in the past and again, why don't the active people organize a get-together ? Can be anything, like an outdoor event, small picnic or even just a coffee/tea meeting ?
    This forum is a valuable resource, even though some of the informations may not be actual today due to update by the governmnet updates with the rules & regulation but this is a place you can look into see how it was used to be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tasel For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (05-03-2020)

wonder though how many members are actually in Moscow?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (03-03-2020), tasel (29-02-2020)

The general problem is that the vast majority of expats wind up leaving. Those who stay develop their own resources, are more often than not married into the society, and once you have a family, mobility and freedom to do get togethers becomes a lot more limited.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-03-2020), nicklcool (05-03-2020), tasel (29-02-2020)

Tasel, I agree with you. If someone organizes a get together, I'm in. Maybe coffee one morning at the Starlite on Oktyabrskaya?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (05-03-2020), tasel (10-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    The general problem is that the vast majority of expats wind up leaving. Those who stay develop their own resources, are more often than not married into the society, and once you have a family, mobility and freedom to do get togethers becomes a lot more limited.
    Apparently you aren't a regular at some of the regular expat old timer drinking holes. The same faces, the same stories, the same the same the same. It's wild. Talk about stepping into a time machine.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (05-03-2020), rusmeister (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Apparently you aren't a regular at some of the regular expat old timer drinking holes. The same faces, the same stories, the same the same the same. It's wild. Talk about stepping into a time machine.
    Never was. I got married early on, and eventually settled in the oblast. Moscow is a big stone city I prefer to avoid.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-03-2020), bydand (06-03-2020), Uncle Wally (03-03-2020)

Never was. I got married early on, and eventually settled in the oblast. Moscow is a big stone city I prefer to avoid.
    Yeah me too now. Before I had to live close because I worked at night and took a taxi home but now I perfer my little town, quiet and friendly.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-03-2020), rusmeister (03-03-2020)

AIM - yep, the drinking holes exist where old timers can be sighted during happy hour, talking about how it was back in the day. I'm an old timer, so I get it. However, I don't go very often. Like Uncle Wally, I prefer life at least 40 clicks outside the MKAD, as often as humanly possible.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (04-03-2020), nicklcool (05-03-2020), rusmeister (03-03-2020), Uncle Wally (04-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    AIM - yep, the drinking holes exist where old timers can be sighted during happy hour, talking about how it was back in the day. I'm an old timer, so I get it. However, I don't go very often. Like Uncle Wally, I prefer life at least 40 clicks outside the MKAD, as often as humanly possible.
    That's just about where I am. 49 to be exact.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

49 is a solid distance. Past the betonka, I take it. We're right at 40. I can feel and see Moscow coming though.

Our dacha is 220 km from our house...no trace of Moscow...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (07-03-2020)

49 is a solid distance. Past the betonka, I take it. We're right at 40. I can feel and see Moscow coming though.

Our dacha is 220 km from our house...no trace of Moscow...
    Yeah same here, I go down the road a kilometer and I can see the new buildings at the edge of Podolsk. Luckily though our town is on a hill and very small, it's about 700 meters by 1 kilometer, no more developments are possible. We have two streets, two bigger shops, Dixi and a few smaller ones. 1 church, a post office, one Sber bank machine, a museum which is the house of the guy the town is named after and brand new schools for kids and a clinic for children. There is no crime here, well unless you count the time two old friends were drinking and one beat the other with a vodka bottle. My wife left the baby carriage out by the front door one night last summer and it was still there in the morning.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (05-03-2020), rusmeister (05-03-2020)

I can feel and see Moscow coming though.
    There are talks in govt circles, appearing periodically, regarding administrative unification of Moscow and Podmoscowie. The first step is done - New Moscow/TINAO with 3 metro lines drilling there. The second is done too - 2 MCDs launched, 3 upcoming.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

23. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (06-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yeah same here, I go down the road a kilometer and I can see the new buildings at the edge of Podolsk. Luckily though our town is on a hill and very small, it's about 700 meters by 1 kilometer, no more developments are possible. We have two streets, two bigger shops, Dixi and a few smaller ones. 1 church, a post office, one Sber bank machine, a museum which is the house of the guy the town is named after and brand new schools for kids and a clinic for children. There is no crime here, well unless you count the time two old friends were drinking and one beat the other with a vodka bottle. My wife left the baby carriage out by the front door one night last summer and it was still there in the morning.
    Same here. When we moved here in 2004, our village was surrounded by fields. Now, dachnie posyolki have sprung up like weeds and with them, every known Russian retailer has shown up in the area. But we still have woods and a few fields nearby. Our nearest town, Pavlovskaya Sloboda, hasn't changed that much. The high rise apartments are about 25 km from us towards the center. Knock on wood, they won't come any closer.

Same here. When we moved here in 2004, our village was surrounded by fields. Now, dachnie posyolki have sprung up like weeds and with them, every known Russian retailer has shown up in the area. But we still have woods and a few fields nearby. Our nearest town, Pavlovskaya Sloboda, hasn't changed that much. The high rise apartments are about 25 km from us towards the center. Knock on wood, they won't come any closer.
    While the building we live in was built in 2004, the church was built in 1779, so the town is kinda old. They also built some 9 story buildings but most are 4 or even two story. We have one oak tree that is 250 years old and a maple tree that is 300 years old. We're completely surrounded by forest and farm land. We're 15 kilometers from Poldosk and it takes 30 minutes by bus to get to the train station and the new D2 line. But this is Moscow! It falls in the New Moscow area. That's why we picked this place, that and 20 meters from our house is a park. When we look out the window all we see are trees and flowers the babushka next door plants in the summer. I should have mentioned we live on the second floor of a 4 story building, oh and the air is so clean we can hang clothes to dry on the balcony. That was impossible at our old flat on the 14th floor, they would get dirty just hanging there. And like Andy was saying, the metro will be just 15 minutes away by bus someday. It takes about 1 hour to get to Moscow now. I love this place. Last summer I didn't leave here for almost two months, not even to go to Poldosk.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (07-03-2020)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Very homely and nostalgic, all these posts, but the gist of most of them makes it sound like we could've just lived in rural American (or fill in the country of your choice) and gotten the same life experience. Except for Wally's comment about crime, maybe, but those woes from our home countries are entirely traceable to the "diversity" and immigration agendas hoisted upon us. .... Which makes you wonder, why weren't they forced upon Russia; perhaps communism made them unouchable for the globalists' evil aims?? ... But I digress.

So, why the move to Russian suburbs & exurbs, vs. the ones in our own Homelands? Cheaper to live as a pensioner? Skills in higher demand because we're a novelty here? Something else? I for one am a little regretful I didn't try exurban America first, but then again there are no jobs out there, and hindsight of course is 20/20.

Interested to hear about your opinions and experiences!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast