littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: you did not receive your eBay,Ali Express or other parcels? it is not always the post office at fault.

you did not receive your eBay,Ali Express or other parcels? it is not always the post office at fault.

https://wien.orf.at/stories/3031402/
    interesting article. ( this is from the POSTOFFICE alone. no other external delivery companies) that was actually the last thing that i thought of. in AUSTRIA alone between 12 to 15 000 parcels can not be delivered. because the stickers came off, address can not be read, sticker got wet, cant read either. all these parcels go then to the - main postoffice - and if the -buyer - who is missing something, KNOWS and can tell what it was supposed to be, he can receive it. the rest will either be sold to employees of the post office. what no one wants or for whatever other reasons, will go to an external -Disposal Company-. Here, the post office says they have no control what they do with the itms. sell them to their employees or destroy them....

so it is not always the post office to blame, when a parcel does not arrive. wonder though if the General Postoffice on Warschavskakya Shosse has a -room- where they keep parcels that can not be delivered?

And what does UPS, Fedex or the likes do with things that can not be delivered? return them? destroy them? sell them?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    https://wien.orf.at/stories/3031402/
    interesting article. ( this is from the POSTOFFICE alone. no other external delivery companies) that was actually the last thing that i thought of. in AUSTRIA alone between 12 to 15 000 parcels can not be delivered. because the stickers came off, address can not be read, sticker got wet, cant read either. all these parcels go then to the - main postoffice - and if the -buyer - who is missing something, KNOWS and can tell what it was supposed to be, he can receive it. the rest will either be sold to employees of the post office. what no one wants or for whatever other reasons, will go to an external -Disposal Company-. Here, the post office says they have no control what they do with the itms. sell them to their employees or destroy them....

so it is not always the post office to blame, when a parcel does not arrive. wonder though if the General Postoffice on Warschavskakya Shosse has a -room- where they keep parcels that can not be delivered?

And what does UPS, Fedex or the likes do with things that can not be delivered? return them? destroy them? sell them?
    I always put clear tape covering the address label, so it can not be smeared, or rained upon, or come loose. I have had several packages marked (scanned) as 'delivered" but the customer says the package was not there. "Porch thieves." They want me to refund their money. I say sorry, but it is not my fault someone stole the package from your porch.

That doesn't sound like a good idea, to let the employees get the undeliverable parcels - it gives them an incentive to take something they see is valuable.

I was called to the "dead letter office" one time to identify and receive a package that was ripped up by the sorting machines. The sorting machines are huge (think warehouse-size), and if a parcel falls between the rollers, it may lay on the floor, undiscovered, for a month (they clean and inspect once a month for lost packages). Much more often, the customs officials create a problem, and the packages languish in their storage facilities, waiting for documents or ? Israel is number one on my scheiss-list of countries where packages disappear or are damaged on delivery or force the customer to jump through hoops to get his package. Cyprus, Italy, Slovenia, Canada (despite our so-called "free trade" treaty). China has a medieval postal system, the worst in the world. So they inundate the US with mailed items from China, but it is impossible for other countries to sell and ship there.
    If you can't be smart, be the least stupid one in the room!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (27-01-2020)

China has a medieval postal system, the worst in the world. So they inundate the US with mailed items from China, but it is impossible for other countries to sell and ship there.[/QUOTE]

Inundate? why might that be? because -we - are ordering....

China has a medieval postal system, the worst in the world. So they inundate the US with mailed items from China, but it is impossible for other countries to sell and ship there.
    Inundate? why might that be? because -we - are ordering....
    I have boxes and boxes of items I get at "yard sales" and auctions, that I can not sell on Ebay. I might as well throw them in the dumpster.

For example, a four-color ink pen. I have a box of 100 of them I bought at an auction for $1 (the whole box for $1).

I can sell these on Ebay for $1 each, and the minimum shipping cost for the US Post office is $2.70. So you have to pay me $3.70 for this pen, which writes in 4-colors.

However, similar 4-color pens are from Hong Kong and Shanghai, for $1, with FREE shipping.

So who are you, the customer, going to buy from? My pen, for $3.70, or the Chinese pen, for $1 ?

And not just pens, thousands and thousands of $1 items like this on Ebay. Light bulbs, paper, merchandise, jewelry, household, any small item, each item with hundreds, thousands of sales. Add it all together, it comes to $billions of dollars flowing to China, Inc.

Obviously, the Chinese seller can not send a pen across the Pacific Ocean, from Shanghai to Pennsylvania, for free. There is a shipping cost. The boats and airplanes do not carry cargo for free. And who is paying those fees? The Chinese government. They are subsidizing their sellers. I call this unfair trade practice "MicroDumping".

Obviously, the Chinese seller can not send a pen across the Pacific Ocean, from Shanghai to Pennsylvania, for free. There is a shipping cost. The boats and airplanes do not carry cargo for free. And who is paying those fees? The Chinese government. They are subsidizing their sellers. I call this unfair trade practice "MicroDumping".[/QUOTE]

but if you know you will not be able to sell things, why buy hem at an auction in the first place? why blame the Chinese Government? Dont you have any Christmas or Church Bazaars where you could sell these things? Makes you look good in the eyes of the community?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    The Chinese government. They are subsidizing their sellers. I call this unfair trade practice "MicroDumping".
    The main problem is that the US postage service just has to deliver the parcels/letters from Chine more or less for free (free for the sender of the thing), this is due to an international postage agreement in witch China is considered a third world country and because of this they get free delivery of letters/parcels in first world country's.
    But there had recently been changes to this agreement so Chine now (at some point in the future, when?) have to pay full price for their postage services in first world country's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (28-01-2020)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    China has a medieval postal system, the worst in the world. So they inundate the US with mailed items from China, but it is impossible for other countries to sell and ship there.

Inundate? why might that be? because -we - are ordering....[/QUOTE]

No, Benedikt, don't work that way: the traditional cause&effect of supply&demand has been manipulated by.....subsidies!!!

We still heavily subsidize China (& Russia BTW) for their international mail to us, such that it's way cheaper to mail something to us, than for us to mail to them.

WHO came up with this subsidy system, WHEN and WHY!? Who knows, but it shows yet again that a government program, once created, can NEVER be ended!

... Oh and it's another example of how the world sucks at the test of American greatness, all while never thanking us for it!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    WHO came up with this subsidy system, WHEN and WHY!? Who knows, but it shows yet again that a government program, once created, can NEVER be ended!
    Universal Postal Union https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

... Oh and it's another example of how the world sucks at the test of American greatness, all while never thanking us for it!
    American greatness appears only to be present when the US of A think they will get the money back one way or an other, or when they want to free the world from what ever they see as something bad, the Marshall Plan and the Vietnam war are just two examples.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

the United Nations came up with it, the United Postal System...
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/17/b...wal/index.html

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (27-01-2020), TheInterocitor (28-01-2020)

American greatness appears only to be present when the US of A think they will get the money back one way or an other, or when they want to free the world from what ever they see as something bad, the Marshall Plan and the Vietnam war are just two examples.[/QUOTE]

correct. the USA could not give two hoots per se about the losers of the war in Europe. They just wanted it quickly build up and prosperous as an alley against the growing Russian Bear in the -East block- and special the DDR... For the same reason, despite the dropping of the atomic bombs, they did no drag the TENNO to a - Nuremberg - style court. That would have turned the Japanese for sure against the USA. And they needed a strong alley against the -red danger -, China and once more the Soviet Union, in the Far east.

Social Justice does not work in International Trade, either

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Universal Postal Union https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

American greatness appears only to be present when the US of A think they will get the money back one way or an other, or when they want to free the world from what ever they see as something bad, the Marshall Plan and the Vietnam war are just two examples.
    I don't care about what the USA or China or Outer BoogieWoogiegolia do in their political and trade games, I just want a level playing field, for me, as an individual.

If I'm clever enough to go to an auction and buy a box of 100 foam plastic I-Phone holders for $1 and sell them for $5 each on Ebay (potential profit $499), and others are selling them on Ebay for $6, then I should be able to sell them quickly. But no, the other guys, China Inc., are cheating, they are getting help from their government and bureaucrats at the UN and the EU and DC, etc. for free shipping, which undercuts my price.

All I want is a fair deal, where I can rely on my ideas (instead of China stealing them and selling them) and my intentions and my work ethic, instead of international trade-o-crats to set unfair rules. And these bureaucrats are insulting - I don't regard residents of other countries as being stupid or less intelligent or capable than me. They don't need help. They just need for their governments to allow them to prosper and take advantage of their own abilities. They need to stop the corruption.

Hey Ukraine, are you listening? I did not open a business in your country (nor hire any Ukrainians as employees at higher-than-average salaries) because I did not want to have to pay off about 5 different bureaucrats...

The corruption works in a converse manner. In Israel and Korea (just for example, I'm not saying these are worst, they are certainly not) I sold intellectual property, which the buyer copied and sold to others, without remunerating me. The corruption is that their governments do nothing to stop this unfair practice. My Chinese teacher said, "We are all Chinese.". No, they are not. Chinese are individuals, too, each responsible for his own actions.

The trade-o-crats may have good intentions and think they are helping "poor" countries, but their approach is wrong. People would far prefer to be treated as individuals, not as member of countries. I could go on for several pages describing the "success stories" of immigrants to the US from Africa, Latin America, Asia, who become prosperous, or start new companies, that I have personally witnessed. The problem is not these people, it is their 3rd-world governments holding them back. As individuals, they are just as capable as me or you, at making themselves happy and prosperous. For the trade-o-crats to devise rules which benefit certain "poor" countries just gives support and ensures the continuance of the corrupt systems in those corrupt countries.

Also, having boxes of unsaleable items means they are going to be thrown in the dumpster, and not recycled, thus a larger environmental waste problem. China manufactures new stuff and we are supposed to trash our old, but exactly the same, usable stuff?

Also, having boxes of unsaleable items means they are going to be thrown in the dumpster, and not recycled, thus a larger environmental waste problem. China manufactures new stuff and we are supposed to trash our old, but exactly the same, usable stuff?[/QUOTE]

why blame the -producer- alone. if there is no buyer, the seller the - producer - does not produce to fill up ware houses. they want to sell. it is WE THE BUYER that should be made aware off, that most probably half the things we buy -must have -, are never opened and used... (i was reading in an Austrian newspaper that they have in their clothes cabinets 17 Million, seventeen millions, no typo, packets of unopened, new, never used, items of clothing. why, in the shop there was a -special offer-, - buy two for the price of one -, - it was a cheap sale - and the likes. all of it will most probably end up in the clothes collection thrash containers. coming as second hand to Africa,Russia or god knows where that goes)
    do we need every 6 month a now handy? a new computer? ( my iMac is from mid 2007, apparently a rarity on the market...). it is we the buyer and end user that has the power to stop all this.
    dont need, dont buy. as simple as that...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (29-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    China Inc., are cheating, they are getting help from their government and bureaucrats at the UN and the EU and DC, etc. for free shipping, which undercuts my price.
    Your problem is only one thing, that is that China, due to the treaty at the Universal Postal Union are having postage fee benefits, benefits you do not have, it has nothing to do with bureaucrats at the UN, EU or DC, the treaty is damn old and due to the economic development in China they benefit a hell lot from that treaty, but dry your eyes, if I got it correct then China will have to pay full postage rates from 2025.

International treaty's are very time consuming to make, and even much more time consuming to change, especially if one or a few big players are facing to loses/gain from the changes, the bigger the players are the more blindfolded they are in their arguments and nobody wants to play with somebody that only wants to see thing exclusive from own points of view.
    Did I forgot to name them? China and the US.

China and the US.[/QUOTE]

and how much money, - presents -, dinners, trips and lobbying is going on back and forth... all these things take time indeed.