littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Putin signs law making Russian apps mandatory on smartphones, computers

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,953
    Thanked: 103
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    I think VK and Yandex already have backdoors in them. Why is it that Russia only complains about Telegram and not WhatsApp? Could it be Russia can already read your messages? I mean WhatsApp store your info on your phone with cloud back up. Telegram is all on the cloud.
    Nope. By design, WhatsApp and Telegram doesn't store any data on their servers. All data is stored on the phone and if you wipe it clean or replace the phone and you will never recover it... even on a PC. So that's why it's technically impossible for WhatsApp or Telegram to share data because there is nothing to share and it doesn't ask for user's id or password. If Russia wants to monitor encrypted communications then they need to match the capabilities of NSA which they can't. They don't have the money or resources. It's technically impossible to analyze billions of WhatsApp/Telegram encrypted texts per day, even for NSA, unless if you're a terrorist.

    Also, Google Play and App Store will not allow apps to have backdoor since they do check to make sure the apps follows their privacy and security rules. Google Play is blocked in China and people there have to use China's approved Play store to download apps infected with spyware/malware. Apple's App Store had to remove many apps so it won't be blocked in China.

    It's eventual that Russia might block Google Play or App Store one day and build Russia's approved app store.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,704
    Thanked: 638
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Google Play and App Store will not allow apps to have backdoor since they do check to make sure the apps follows their privacy and security rules.
    All nice, but didn't it happen that apps in their stores were infected with backdoor's not that long ago?
    Backdoor's may be present, they may be made intentionally, or they may simply occur accidentally.
    So there may still be backdoor's that just not had been found yet.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (05-12-2019)

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,888
    Thanked: 3690
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Nope. By design, WhatsApp and Telegram doesn't store any data on their servers. All data is stored on the phone and if you wipe it clean or replace the phone and you will never recover it... even on a PC. So that's why it's technically impossible for WhatsApp or Telegram to share data because there is nothing to share and it doesn't ask for user's id or password. If Russia wants to monitor encrypted communications then they need to match the capabilities of NSA which they can't. They don't have the money or resources. It's technically impossible to analyze billions of WhatsApp/Telegram encrypted texts per day, even for NSA, unless if you're a terrorist.

    Also, Google Play and App Store will not allow apps to have backdoor since they do check to make sure the apps follows their privacy and security rules. Google Play is blocked in China and people there have to use China's approved Play store to download apps infected with spyware/malware. Apple's App Store had to remove many apps so it won't be blocked in China.

    It's eventual that Russia might block Google Play or App Store one day and build Russia's approved app store.


    Sorry but I did wipe my phone twice and all my WhatsApp messages, contact, and photos came back. Telegram too, I'm still using a Microsoft Lumia 650 and I got a Lumia 550 as a backup from my friend's kid (good thing too as my wife dropped her L650 and smashed it good so now she's using it) and I set the L550 to my Microsoft account. Both phones had all the same apps with the same info and I could go between phones and it was like one phone. You can download apps on up to 8 devices. This was except for WhatsApp. I could open Telegram on either phone and all messages were there but with WhatsApp I had to have the sim card that I signed up on WhatsApp in the phone for it to work. On Android with dual sim you can have two WhatsApp accounts but it's not possible with Microsoft phones unless to have two Microsoft accounts. I'm switching to Android soon because Microsoft will no longer support their phones and WhatsApp will stop working on December 31st. I will miss my Microsoft Phone, it is just a much better operation system, love the live tiles and start screen, it just lacked apps but I had most of what I needed, banking Yandex and WhatsApp. I've been using Windows Phones since 2013, my wife still has the Nokia Lumia 800 I bought her. That was a nice phone at the time. Funny that next year Microsoft is coming out with a new folding phone that will run Android.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (05-12-2019)

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,888
    Thanked: 3690
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    All nice, but didn't it happen that apps in their stores were infected with backdoor's not that long ago?
    Backdoor's may be present, they may be made intentionally, or they may simply occur accidentally.
    So there may still be backdoor's that just not had been found yet.

    Yes there was some apps that had backdoors but they could have been put in with an update and not when Google first checked them.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,953
    Thanked: 103
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    All nice, but didn't it happen that apps in their stores were infected with backdoor's not that long ago?
    Backdoor's may be present, they may be made intentionally, or they may simply occur accidentally.
    So there may still be backdoor's that just not had been found yet.
    Yeah it was Russian apps but they caught it. If it was Russia's or China's own app store then it would have gone unnoticed.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (05-12-2019)

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,448
    Thanked: 3106
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    It's going to be much more like surveillance or backdoor apps
    Going to be?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

    Uncle Wally (05-12-2019)

  11. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,888
    Thanked: 3690
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Going to be?


    Yeah what the hell is FACEBOOK? It's just there to gather your info to sell it. Google meet with Obama at the White House more than anyone else. What were they doing, having tea? I doubt that.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •