littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin signs law making Russian apps mandatory on smartphones, computers

Putin signs law making Russian apps mandatory on smartphones, computers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN1Y61Z4

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday signed legislation requiring all smartphones, computers and smart TV sets sold in the country to come pre-installed with Russian software.

The law, which will come into force on July 1 next year, has been met with resistance by some electronics retailers, who say the legislation was adopted without consulting them.

The law has been presented as a way to help Russian IT firms compete with foreign companies and spare consumers from having to download software upon purchasing a new device.

The country’s mobile phone market is dominated by foreign companies including Apple, Samsung and Huawei. The legislation signed by Putin said the government would come up with a list of Russian applications that would need to be installed on the different devices.

Russia has introduced tougher internet laws in recent years, requiring search engines to delete some search results, messaging services to share encryption keys with security services and social networks to store user data on servers in the country.
    Couldn't this be defeated by simply doing a reformat and re-install of the operating system? Perhaps Russia will demand that the Russian version of operating systems load this stuff as part of the install. (Of course, that would mean that folks could simply install a non-Russian version.)

Is that possible on a smart TV? Download and reinstall software?

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Is that possible on a smart TV? Download and reinstall software?
    Depend on brand and model, and luck..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    Couldn't this be defeated by simply doing a reformat and re-install of the operating system?
    A reinstall from scratch, then yes, but a build-in reinstall from what the manufacture had install may, or may not do the trick.

Perhaps Russia will demand that the Russian version of operating systems load this stuff as part of the install. (Of course, that would mean that folks could simply install a non-Russian version.)
    I do not think so, it may cover cases where the install is bundling a lot of shit onto you device, there the Russian law just want it to be Russian shit, that is properly all there is to it.

And most people do not want to reinstall their devices unless it is a one-click solution, and it rarely is so simple.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKBN1Y61Z4
    Couldn't this be defeated by simply doing a reformat and re-install of the operating system? Perhaps Russia will demand that the Russian version of operating systems load this stuff as part of the install. (Of course, that would mean that folks could simply install a non-Russian version.)
    Russia will demand manufacturers or phone carriers to pre-install Russian apps on the phone and the only way apps can be deleted when phone is jailbroken or rooted.

i am glad i do not have an iPhone or smart phone. Just sa simple handy with big buttons. ans when i want to change from English to Russian languid i just go to set up and change - langauge - there. And that is all i need my handy for. to make calls or receive them.And send an SMS.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    the only way apps can be deleted when phone is jailbroken or rooted.
    It depends on apps and manufacturer. For example, in my Samsung A70 I can delete some apps and shutdown some others even in usual user mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i am glad i do not have an iPhone or smart phone. Just sa simple handy with big buttons. ans when i want to change from English to Russian languid i just go to set up and change - langauge - there. And that is all i need my handy for. to make calls or receive them.And send an SMS.
    And with fresh and fully charged battery it lives for a week or two
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (07-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i am glad i do not have an iPhone or smart phone. Just sa simple handy with big buttons.
    Then you are just as clever as the Danish "Ministry of War", they had equipped all war plane pilots that is currently in Estonia, with old style Nokia phones, not that Smart Phone rubbish, the deal is that they are afraid that Russian hackers will hack Smart Phone and compromise the security and safety of the pilots and their mission to frighten Russian from overtake Estonia, or any other Nato country.

The funny thing is that Nato's own numbers/reports say's that Russia can overtake any/all Baltic country's faster than Nato can come and protect these country's, so what is the deal by have a military showoff there now and then? If it should work then it must be permanent solution and it will cost a lot of money, oh... btw. congratulations Nato, with you anniversary, everything is going fine? no dogfights behind the scene with Mister Trump? Article 5 is still good, the great US of A will come and help, even small non important, Nato country's?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (07-12-2019), FatAndy (04-12-2019), TheInterocitor (06-12-2019), Uncle Wally (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    It depends on apps and manufacturer. For example, in my Samsung A70 I can delete some apps and shutdown some others even in usual user mode.

And with fresh and fully charged battery it lives for a week or two

How do you like your A70? How is battery life? I'm thinking of getting a Samsung A50 and A30 for the wife but I read Samsung in screen finger print scanner is having problems so I might just get two A30.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Russia just wants companies to install VK and Yandex apps instead of FACEBOOK and Google. I don't use Google or FACEBOOK, only Yandex and VK so it's no big deal. You will still be able to download them one your phone anyways.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    How do you like your A70? How is battery life?
    The good device. 2 days easily. Loud calling signal, big screen, 6G RAM, 128G nand, dual sim, and yes, usb type c. Even if very drunken, charger fits
    I don't use fingerprint scan.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (05-12-2019)

Russia will demand manufacturers or phone carriers to pre-install Russian apps on the phone and the only way apps can be deleted when phone is jailbroken or rooted.
    I enabled have root access, but I haven't used it for anything, just thought it would enable me to get the newest update of Android, which won't download to my Samsung. When I have some time, I will get into it, but why? The smart-phone is just a big time-waster for me, it consumes useful productive time with truckloads of inane chatter.

Like you say, it should be easy to delete apps with root access.

Reminds me of my old Amiga, where you could drill down all the way to the operating system, making it easier to write user-friendly programs. Unlike Microsoft Windows, which was a nightmare to program of opaque DLL's, horrid multimedia, etc.
    I only drink on days ending in "y".

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Russia just wants companies to install VK and Yandex apps instead of FACEBOOK and Google. I don't use Google or FACEBOOK, only Yandex and VK so it's no big deal. You will still be able to download them one your phone anyways.
    Are you sure about that? It's not going to be just VK or Yandex apps. It's going to be much more like surveillance or backdoor apps and China is already doing that. Apple will not comply with Russian law but again Apple don't have their stores in Russia so it'll be up to independent retailers or phone carriers to install the apps.

Are you sure about that? It's not going to be just VK or Yandex apps. It's going to be much more like surveillance or backdoor apps and China is already doing that. Apple will not comply with Russian law but again Apple don't have their stores in Russia so it'll be up to independent retailers or phone carriers to install the apps.

I think VK and Yandex already have backdoors in them. Why is it that Russia only complains about Telegram and not WhatsApp? Could it be Russia can already read your messages? I mean WhatsApp store your info on your phone with cloud back up. Telegram is all on the cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    The good device. 2 days easily. Loud calling signal, big screen, 6G RAM, 128G nand, dual sim, and yes, usb type c. Even if very drunken, charger fits
    I don't use fingerprint scan.
    Yeah the A70 does have great specs! Very slim, 6.7 inch screen, 4500 mil battery, 48 megapixel camera and a headphone jack!

The Samsung A50 is the biggest selling phone this year. I was thinking about getting Nokia phones but after reading about them they have too many problems with their mid range phones. Samsung has only had a problem with the finger print scanner after the last update so it could be fixed. Also I'm thinking about getting a TV for my daughter, she just loves Sesame Street and if you buy a Samsung TV they have a great TV app on the phone. You can use the phone as a controller and even listen to the TV through your phone with head phones. My wife would love that.

For anyone looking for a new phone and thinking about Samsung they are giving away a Samsung smart watch when you buy a S10, S10+ or S10e if you buy before 31st Dec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast