littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War 1 Map?

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

World War 1 Map?

I am trying to figure out if this map is a military map. Actually there are 8 of them. Kiev, Odessa, Serbia, and other central Europe, etc.

Some of them say "Prepared in the Geography Department of the General Staff of the Army" if I am translating right.

They all are titled "Operationskarte". Military operations?

Kijew -> "Kiev".

"...bearbeitet in den geographisches Abteilung den Kgl. Preuß. landesaufnahme" -> Prepared in the department of the Prussian King?

Some of the maps say "nur für den dienstgebrauch" - does this mean it is "classified" information?

IMG_9688a.jpg IMG_9689a.JPG

IMG_9694a.jpg

IMG_9692a.jpg

IMG_9530a.jpg
    If you aim for nothing, you will hit it every time.

They appear to be Operations Maps from 1915, but there is no classified information on them.

The sheet would have been overlayed using a 'trace' (sheet of acetate type material) with military boundaries, routes / axis and objectives marked on it...........
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (01-12-2019)

If you are into collecting military maps, can I suggest that you try to collect the silk escape & evasion maps that pilots used to be issued with................they are really interesting and are becoming quite valuable.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (02-12-2019), TheInterocitor (01-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    If you are into collecting military maps, can I suggest that you try to collect the silk escape & evasion maps that pilots used to be issued with................they are really interesting and are becoming quite valuable.
    I suppose the Japanese pilots were NOT issued such maps.

[QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1490208]I am trying to figure out if this map is a military map. Actually there are 8 of them. Kiev, Odessa, Serbia, and other central Europe, etc.

Some of them say "Prepared in the Geography Department of the General Staff of the Army" if I am translating right.

processed in the geographical Department the Prussian Kings country survey"

They all are titled "Operationskarte". Military operations? indeed - operation charts - for military use

Kijew -> "Kiev". that was indeed the -old - german language translation for Kiev

"...bearbeitet in den geographisches Abteilung den Kgl. Preuß. landesaufnahme" -> Prepared in the geographical department of country survey of the Prussian King?

Some of the maps say "nur für den dienstgebrauch" - does this mean it is "classified" information? not neccessary, just for - official use only -
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (02-12-2019)

Thanks "B" and TR!

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I suppose the Japanese pilots were NOT issued such maps.

A weird translation for Minsk (now Belarus) - this old German map has "Pinßk"...

Pinsk is a different city in Belarus.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (16-12-2019)

A weird translation for Minsk (now Belarus) - this old German map has "Pinßk"...
    Pinsk is to the East of Brest and not far North of the Belarus / Ukraine border

I see, said the blind man...

Lemberg -> Lviv or Lvov or Lwow (Polish). Interesting, there appears to have been a dust-up between Poland and Ukraine in 1919.

Everybody wants their independence - Lithuania, Estonia, Galacia, Ukraine, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Walloonia, Catalonia, Hong Kong, the list keeps growing...

If elected mayor, I will declare our village an independent country. There's a pickleball court we can use as an airport (helicopter landing pad). We already have a defensive force.

Before Washington can send troops, we will quickly establish diplomatic relations with several other countries...

Everybody wants their independence - Lithuania, Estonia, Galacia, Ukraine, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Walloonia, Catalonia, Hong Kong, the list keeps growing...
    Please forgive me for being pedantic, but at best some politicians wanted Wallonia to become part of France, but there has never been much of an independence movement. Flanders, on the hand, does have a very strong independence movement. What is ironic in this situation, is that Carles Puigdemont, the Catalan leader, is exiled in Belgium and living in Waterloo. Which is in Wallonia.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (17-12-2019), TheInterocitor (17-12-2019)

Sorry, BB, I get those smaller enclaves mixed up, Wallonia and Flanders. Seems a little ridiculous when tiny places like Liechtenstein, Andorra, or San Marino have their independence. Which begs the question, why can't my county (about 500 square miles) have its independence. It's bigger than Luxembourg! (well, almost). Then you have those tiny countries like Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Abkhazia, etc...

The Chinese use tanks to prevent anyone splitting off - Uigher's, Hong Kong, Taiwan.

While the Left wants to have everyone under its thumb, most people want to be independent of oppressive politicians telling them how to live.

Who needs a big central government when we have the internet?

I always thought a Prinsk was South of the Brest?
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Sorry, BB, I get those smaller enclaves mixed up, Wallonia and Flanders. Seems a little ridiculous when tiny places like Liechtenstein, Andorra, or San Marino have their independence. Which begs the question, why can't my county (about 500 square miles) have its independence. It's bigger than Luxembourg! (well, almost). Then you have those tiny countries like Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Montenegro, Abkhazia, etc...

The Chinese use tanks to prevent anyone splitting off - Uigher's, Hong Kong, Taiwan.

While the Left wants to have everyone under its thumb, most people want to be independent of oppressive politicians telling them how to live.

Who needs a big central government when we have the internet?
    No worries TI! You raise an interesting point about small countries and corresponding small governments. Yes, sometimes they work well: Luxembourg (where I lived for a while and worked) is a case in point, whereas Abkhazia is maybe the opposite, at least if the number of cars with ABH number plates parked by the side of the roads around here selling mandarines and pomegranates are anything to go by.

However, in the end, lots of small governments can end up with lots of duplicated efforts that could be reduced by a larger, centralized, authority. If only that could be made to work properly. Unfortunately it seems that neither the USA nor the EU are good examples of that happening, albeit for different reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast