littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Should folks be concerned that the FSB would try to hack devices plugged into public USB ports for charging?

Should folks be concerned that the FSB would try to hack devices plugged into public USB ports for charging?

I was reading this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/18/t...e-jacking.html

Now, the FSB wouldn't be looking to steal (would they?), but certainly they want to be able to put in their spy surveillance stuff on a device.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    I was reading this:

Now, the FSB wouldn't be looking to steal (would they?), but certainly they want to be able to put in their spy surveillance stuff on a device.
    The NSA is listening, so is the Bundesnachrichtendienst and a few others.Would it come as a surprise the FSB would not? (when i did my TRP long time ago, the inspector had documents about me, that i never supplied but I knew, because i saw my name in latin letters.... they were mine or about me. And he did not even hide it when checking some things. did it right in front of me. So, nothing bothers me anymore)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    I was reading this:

Why would they need to do that when they have remote access anyway to your mobile and apartment phone?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (22-11-2019), FatAndy (24-11-2019), Hans.KK (22-11-2019), rusmeister (22-11-2019), Uncle Wally (22-11-2019)

Make your own charging cable that can only charge, no data can then be transferred (a shitty Chinese charging cable has it from the factory), it may set you back on charging power from an intelligent USB port, but, hey, better a little power than nothing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (22-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Make your own charging cable that can only charge, no data can then be transferred (a shitty Chinese charging cable has it from the factory), it may set you back on charging power from an intelligent USB port, but, hey, better a little power than nothing.
    And rarely use Blue Tooth outside of your own home!

And, furthermore, look for Remote Access Tools embedded on your phone.............

As well as checking here to see if your credentials (email and password combination) have been compromised in one of the many data breaches:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

or here:

https://breachalarm.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    And rarely use Blue Tooth outside of your own home!

And, furthermore, look for Remote Access Tools embedded on your phone.............

As well as checking here to see if your credentials (email and password combination) have been compromised in one of the many data breaches:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

or here:

https://breachalarm.com/
    this is nice Wally but - who checks the checkers-? how do we know they have no sinister ideas in mind? i know one can get paranoid. and might as well stay home and wait that the chandelier falls on your head... they say i have been pawned 8x but dont tell me where,what and why. but i should subscribe. and most probably also pay for that subscription? the other link tells me that my passwords have been compromised at least ONCE... wonder who and what i should believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    this is nice Wally but - who checks the checkers-? how do we know they have no sinister ideas in mind? i know one can get paranoid. and might as well stay home and wait that the chandelier falls on your head... they say i have been pawned 8x but dont tell me where,what and why. but i should subscribe. and most probably also pay for that subscription? the other link tells me that my passwords have been compromised at least ONCE... wonder who and what i should believe?
    Not true! They clearly state where your credentials have been compromised - there is no subscription! It is a free service...........

Yeah, the first one said I was hacked 4 times and 3 are still active. The second one said I was hacked once back in 2009 and then sent an email saying I was last hacked in June 2016.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Not true! They clearly state where your credentials have been compromised - there is no subscription! It is a free service...........
    i went only to here. and then i ASKED YOU do i have to pay for it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

i went only to here. and then i ASKED YOU do i have to pay for it?
    Ben, that link is for a different type of service at 1password.com which you can subscribe to if you want to receive notifications of future breaches and compromises. I think that it accepts voluntary donations,; there is no set subscription fee.

As you will see for the below, I have typed in a email address and it confirms which breaches it appeared in and what was actually compromised...........

35.jpg.jpg

As it reports, in the first listed breach. my business Credit Card and all associated data (email & password etc) was comprised which was a big issue / major headache as it occurred between Christmas 2011 and New Year 2012