littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge of English in Moscow is essential...

Knowledge of English in Moscow is essential...

Nice abbreviations
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (08-11-2019), nicklcool (08-11-2019), TolkoRaz (10-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Nice abbreviations
    not neccessary a need to know english. EVERYONE runs around with a handy in front of their faces. with english and cyrillic letters on the buttons.type in the abbreviations and if it is a good handy it will spit out the name, address and location of the place. and a google or Yandex card on top of it. ( since some of the English used, sounds like - Google translate -anyway, should be no problems there=
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    not neccessary a need to know english. EVERYONE runs around with a handy in front of their faces. with english and cyrillic letters on the buttons.type in the abbreviations and if it is a good handy it will spit out the name, address and location of the place. and a google or Yandex card on top of it. ( since some of the English used, sounds like - Google translate -anyway, should be no problems there=
    Oh, do chill out and pull your head out of it.

That list of abbreviations is a crime against any language, not just the Russian language (well maybe it sounds okay in Burmese, I've no idea). Yes, it's possible to find out what it means with a phone and internet, but that shouldn't be necessary. There is no justifiable reason for such nonsense. Russian is fully capable of writing something simple as "employment centre." Put state in front of it if needed - Гоструд or Моструд would work fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    Oh, do chill out and pull your head out of it.

That list of abbreviations is a crime against any language, not just the Russian language (well maybe it sounds okay in Burmese, I've no idea). Yes, it's possible to find out what it means with a phone and internet, but that shouldn't be necessary. There is no justifiable reason for such nonsense. Russian is fully capable of writing something simple as "employment centre." Put state in front of it if needed - Гоструд or Моструд would work fine.
    https://public.oed.com/how-to-use-th...abbreviations/ here is a list of English langauge abbreviations. would you know all of them? do you know, without checking on the link, what is the OED?
    I asked my (russian) wife what these russian langauge short cuts mean. and she answered without hesitation. we are after all in Russia. And Russian is the national language. Not English.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I asked my (russian) wife what these russian langauge short cuts mean. and she answered without hesitation. we are after all in Russia. And Russian is the national language. Not English.
    Your Russian wife sounds smart. How did she end up with you? :b

Here is a nice article from MT.

Twenty-eight percent of Russian respondents aged 18-24 said they’re hearing about the fall of the Berlin Wall for the first time, according to Levada’s results published Friday. Nineteen percent of respondents aged 25-39 had the same answer.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...ll-poll-a68104

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Armoured (09-11-2019), FatAndy (09-11-2019), Russian Lad (09-11-2019)

The Russians better learn the Chinese language, the onslaught from the East will be unprecedented I think. Even here in SPb the downtown area looks and sounds like a remote Chinese province already. I haven't seen so many Chinese in my entire life here. Doubt there is any meaningful hope for this territory, too many uneducated idiots around who lack the most basic skills but are eager to consume (this includes accumulating crazy debts and taking on mortgages at rip off rates). Too much time has been lost, too many fatal mistakes have been made. The days of reckoning and atonement have arrived. The payback will be very slow and excruciatingly painful for most of the Russians, including the women, the children and the elderly... The winter is coming...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Russian Lad For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (09-11-2019)

https://public.oed.com/how-to-use-th...abbreviations/ here is a list of English langauge abbreviations. would you know all of them? do you know, without checking on the link, what is the OED?
    Thank you for your submission to "Missing the Point." We are pleased to advise that no further submissions are necessary; on the basis of your collective work, you have won.

Pay attention: the point of the above is not that Russian is bad, nor that English has more or less acronyms and abbreviations, nor that English is better.

Acronyms and abbreviations make sense or are useful depending on context. The usage above is bad because it makes no sense as a public sign: it does not help people find what they are looking for (or determine that this is not what they're looking for). Note that my own suggestion - MosTrud - is also an abbreviation.

I can't believe I have to explain this, but the humour of the comment "why one needs to know English in Moscow" is that the foreign language explanation is more easily understood than the acronym is.

(The long twelve-letter acronym may make some sense or be useful as an internal designation within whatever government department this is - in the same way that a military unit may officially be named x platoon of the y company of the z brigade of the 1st division of the 3rd army, but outside the military that long description is probably impenetrable. They convey the information that is needed depending on the context).

This stuff really isn't that hard. Pull your head out.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (09-11-2019), nicklcool (09-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Twenty-eight percent of Russian respondents aged 18-24 said they’re hearing about the fall of the Berlin Wall for the first time, according to Levada’s results published Friday. Nineteen percent of respondents aged 25-39 had the same answer.
    It would be nice to know about results of the same poll in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Lad View Post
    Too much time has been lost, too many fatal mistakes have been made. The days of reckoning and atonement have arrived. The payback will be very slow and excruciatingly painful for most of the Russians, including the women, the children and the elderly... The winter is coming...
    Lack of trash, frenzy and sodomy again, comrade...
    All the world's Kremlin,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (09-11-2019)

I have my doubts about Levada. It's not the first time they have produced "funny" statistics. Cited, without the usual anti-Russian disclaimer by the Leftist Moscow Times, and cited by Western media and intelligentsia as a font of unquestionable integrity and honesty, Levada strikes me as just another Progressive organization which first sets the conclusion, then "finds" or fits the statistics to support the conclusion, rather than a genuine org conducting legitimate research.
    Freedom isn't Free - Thank a Veteran

Lack of trash, frenzy and sodomy again, comrade...
    I apologize for that, but, on the other hand, I am not mister Piskov or his supervisor to offer those... I can try though - the days have come when the dedushkas will regret they don't have the genitals of a babushka and vice versa. Потихонечку... Потихонечку...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Russian Lad For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (09-11-2019)

If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Lad View Post
    The Russians better learn the Chinese language, the onslaught from the East will be unprecedented I think. Even here in SPb the downtown area looks and sounds like a remote Chinese province already. I haven't seen so many Chinese in my entire life here. Doubt there is any meaningful hope for this territory, too many uneducated idiots around who lack the most basic skills but are eager to consume (this includes accumulating crazy debts and taking on mortgages at rip off rates). Too much time has been lost, too many fatal mistakes have been made. The days of reckoning and atonement have arrived. The payback will be very slow and excruciatingly painful for most of the Russians, including the women, the children and the elderly... The winter is coming...

Oh man. Theast time I flew thru svo it was nuts. 1/2 the people were Chinese and the restaurants were noodle shops catering to the Chinese. Well, maybe not half the restaurants, but enough that it was noticeable.

One time, in deep siberia, I was talking to one of my wife's cousins and he had some visa/work visa Id business. He pulled out maybe 100 IDs to show me they were mostly all Chinese. It was nuts. He explained that the Chinese run farms and a few are legal and then they bring over workers that aren't. The farms are really efficient and produce quite nicely. It was a while back, so it's a bit hazy, but I do remember that he was concerned about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    The US/NATO still has 40,000 troops in Germany to "protect" it from Russian invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Oh man. Theast time I flew thru svo it was nuts. 1/2 the people were Chinese and the restaurants were noodle shops catering to the Chinese. Well, maybe not half the restaurants, but enough that it was noticeable.

One time, in deep siberia, I was talking to one of my wife's cousins and he had some visa/work visa Id business. He pulled out maybe 100 IDs to show me they were mostly all Chinese. It was nuts. He explained that the Chinese run farms and a few are legal and then they bring over workers that aren't. The farms are really efficient and produce quite nicely. It was a while back, so it's a bit hazy, but I do remember that he was concerned about it.
    When I left Virginia (Fairfax County, DC suburb), ethnic Chinese were already 10% of the population. They had just bought and converted a large supermarket chain from typical American foods to oriental foods. Chinesa are second largest immigrant group, behind Mexico. They also run huge "birth tourism" scheme - have the baby in US while "touring" so they are all eventually granted citizenship.

While in NYC, in Chinatown, where there about 500,000 illegal immigrants I heard the word "Gweilo" more than once.

Chinese emigrate to Russia, Germany and US, but no one immigrates to China, they are dead list on accepting immigrants (gwáilóu's (鬼佬), foreign devils.) Who wants to live in a racist country?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    The US/NATO still has 40,000 troops in Germany to "protect" it from Russian invasion.
    When some state has foreign troops on its territory, it is called occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    When I left Virginia (Fairfax County, DC suburb), ethnic Chinese were already 10% of the population. They had just bought and converted a large supermarket chain from typical American foods to oriental foods. Chinesa are second largest immigrant group, behind Mexico.
    In 2007-8, LAX immigration control - ca 15 ppl in uniform on tumbochkas with slogan We Are The Face Of The Nation - all were Chinese.
    BTW, I work now for Chinese IT company.
    All the world's Kremlin,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast