littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knowledge of English in Moscow is essential...

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    The US/NATO still has 40,000 troops in Germany to "protect" it from Russian invasion.
    the USA-NATO will never pull out, not because the Germans need protections. But Ramstein ( 15 200 US personell there) for instance is the really only big airbase where they can fly to the Middle East, all the -Arab- states but also around ex Yugoslavia..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramstein_Air_Base
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (09-11-2019), Uncle Wally (10-11-2019)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Benedikt sorry but you are off on this one and Armoured is right; though you win points for being far more polite in this debate.

Making fun of the excessive abbreviations isn't an anti-Russian thing; didn't a ton of Russian writers make fun of the Soviet burescracy's superfluous and unnecessarily long acronyms and official titles? I'm pretty sure Gogol even did some ribbing about this in his novel Nos', right??

Defending the abbreviations when even Russian writers were poking fun at them decades ago is pretty pointless, Benedikt.

My only remaining question is where the heck did this practice come from?? Was it really as simple as a bunch of dumb sharecroppers taking over the country (the Revolution), and then they thought they could sound competent and respectable by giving themselves excessively long titles!?
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

Armoured (10-11-2019)

where the heck did this practice come from
    НКВД I think.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russian Lad For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (10-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Lad View Post
    НКВД I think.
    No. It's the rotten burp of WWI.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (11-11-2019)

Abbreviations in 1949 film

When Captain Henri Rochard (Cary Grant) is looking for “O.I.C., A.M.G., W.A.C.”, some signs on the hallway confuse him. They are all initials, for which Rochard seems to interpret the meanings as:

WAIRCO – War Administration Industrial Relations Coordinator’s Office.
    SSDPPDD – Service of Supply Displaced Persons Property Disposal Department.

Not having understandable signage can lead to confusion even in the more obvious spots.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (10-11-2019), Uncle Wally (11-11-2019)

F.U.C.K

The Federal University Commission of Kitchens.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

This sign was evidently created by a young snowflake, who does not understand that most people can not readily interpret his shortened words.

This is evidence of a large and growing problem of being able to effectively communicate, which leads to lessened understanding.

Not just the new generation, but everyone is ensconced into their own area of technology.

For example, if I want to talk about my Ebay stuff, I might talk about the FVF, and my item is NIB, NOS or IOB.

This is just a result of not only the accelerating growth of technology, but newly-defined areas of technology, each with their own special language.

Everyone is pigeonholed into a certain category of technology and adopt as the jargon for his/her area of expertise. They forget that everyone else is NOT in their area of expertise and are like, "What are you talking about?"

Your new product is useless, unless you can help other people understand how to use it, so they will want it and purchase it. And if you learn how to make other people's jargon understandable, you will be valued in writing user manuals or even Youtube tutorials.
    I only drink on days ending in "y".

PED Xing

My favorite American acronym is "Ped Xing".

You will see this ubiquitous yellow road sign in a million places in the USA.

But if a foreigner looks up the words in an English dictionary, neither "ped" nor "xing" are listed.

Image2a.jpg
    I only drink on days ending in "y".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (12-11-2019)

Yes, I saw it first in 2003 and also hung up a bit...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12