littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: article: Russia’s Domestic Internet Is a Threat to the Global Internet

article: Russia’s Domestic Internet Is a Threat to the Global Internet

so let it be...there will be much water running down the Moskva river before somethign is going to happen.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

The Russian government has also purportedly started rolling out deep packet inspection, a more sophisticated internet filtering technique, which it started testing last year.

DPI tests started more than 5 yrs ago, just after Crimean spring. Equipment is being shipped to ISPs for 3 years already.

But I haven't understood how purely defensive measures become "threat".
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (16-11-2019)

But I haven't understood how purely defensive measures become "threat". [/QUOTE]

because - news - like that brings clicks and likes and thumbs up or down. but most od all, one has to watch every time the advertising.and that brings $$$. into the pockets of the owners and shareholders. and only THAT counts. as simple as that. installing an adblocker does not help anymore. most advertising is - embedded - so the adblocker does not understand it anymore. OR the site just does not open with an adblocker activated. ( as it is with most of the Austrian and German newspapers that i read...)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Screenshot_20191024-235824.jpg

benedikt, what does this chart tell u?

In fact, here is the entire report from rostat.

https://t.co/9F6BocdYU6?amp=1

7. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (25-10-2019)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Screenshot_20191024-235824.jpg

benedikt, what does this chart tell u?

In fact, here is the entire report from rostat.

https://t.co/9F6BocdYU6?amp=1
    Oh man, American, a few years ago if seen States that I thought showed modest population gains, and assumed it was thanks to this materinskyi kalital??

Maybe your chart looks worse than the situation is because it starts in 2011, 4 years (?) after that program was initiated??
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

I just skimmed over the article, Slate is way too far Left for me, and there is too much false information in the article - I have to wear my hip boots to wade through it - but I see they attribute several false motives for Russia doing this.

In 2014 and before, the US State Department employed the internet to engineer the Maidan coup. George Soros and the US State Dept., under Hillary Clinton, colluded. Through USAID and NED they paid dissident Ukrainians to oppose and publicize opposition to the legitimately-elected Yanakovich government and trained Ukrainians on how to use social media platforms, such as Twitter and Facebook, to organize, which lead to violent demonstrations and the eventual overthrow of the government. There is a good reason why Google (with its social-media power to manage and alter "the news") was the most frequent visitor to the White House during the Obama-Clinton regime.

Such "social media-engineered" revolutions are in play in several other countries as we speak.

In short, the US Deep State/NATO have weaponized the internet. So I don't have any problem with sovereign countries taking defensive measures to protect their sovereignty, be it real or virtual.
    I only drink on days ending in "y".

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    In short, the US Deep State/NATO have weaponized the internet. So I don't have any problem with sovereign countries taking defensive measures to protect their sovereignty, be it real or virtual.
    It is a problem since many educational and technical websites are legit, apolitical and they're blocked due to Russia's blanket ban. Russia should do surgical ban instead of blocking so many good websites. I have to resort to using VPN most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    It is a problem since many educational and technical websites are legit, apolitical and they're blocked due to Russia's blanket ban. Russia should do surgical ban instead of blocking so many good websites. I have to resort to using VPN most of the time.
    I don't use a VPN, but I'm getting increasingly paranoid whenever I use a computer or my cell phone in a public place, and don't log into money accounts...

Are you saying you can use VPN to get into blocked sites? I thought it was just encryption tech. Good for you if you can.

Are you saying you can use VPN to get into blocked sites? I thought it was just encryption tech.
    Correct. You just drill encrypted channel outside of .ru zone to VPN proxy server in Finland, Germany or Netherlands, and connect to the needed resource from it.
    All the world's Kremlin,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (18-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Correct. You just drill encrypted channel outside of .ru zone to VPN proxy server in Finland, Germany or Netherlands, and connect to the needed resource from it.
    Yup and FSB won't know what you've been looking at... naughty boy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (18-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    and FSB won't know
    You and them make believe.
    All the world's Kremlin,

I wonder can they use VPN in China to get around Chinese government blocking and censorship?

I wonder can they use VPN in China to get around Chinese government blocking and censorship?
    China is getting sophisticated in blocking VPNs with their deep packet inspection or DPI and Russia is not that far behind. The only way to get around it is to use SSH Tunnel since it uses port 443 which is commonly used by browsers for secured connection and DPI won't be able to analyze the encrypted SSH Tunnel data as there is no public metadata available for DPI to see. VPNs use port 1194 and its metadata is not encrypted so it get blocked pretty quickly. Metadata is like a phone book or contact address but everything else is encrypted. China also blocks all known foreign VPN servers.

So far Russia has not started blocking VPNs but Russia did ask foreign VPN providers that host servers in Russia to comply with the data retention and censorship rules. VPN providers responded by shutting down their VPN servers in Russia. The only Russian VPN that still exist and complies with Russian rules is Kaspersky VPN.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (20-11-2019)