littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: British tax rebates received in cheques that can't be cashed in Russia.

British tax rebates received in cheques that can't be cashed in Russia.

Has any British expat experienced receiving cheques from the the UK inland revenue, and not being able to cash them in Russia? Not they refuse to transfer the money and you can't cash them in Russia. The only plan I have round this is to get a bad credit British bank account who won't require a residential address in the UK asking you for bills with your name and local address. But can it be done online without entering UK?

The "problem" for banks when opening accounts is that they are supposed to abide by so-called "know your customer" controls, introduced to combat money laundering. Normally this means that they have to have some proof of identity. For most banks, this means that they should at least see you once and check your id, if you have one. However, with the rise of internet banks, physical visits are not possible and they very often satisfy themselves by receiving some sort of proof of identity electronically or in writing. I've done this in the past with ME Bank in Belgium, for example, although I've closed that account now.

The problems might be to find a bank in the UK that will accept a cheque, and also the fact that you are no longer resident in the UK.

I'm assuming that you never found a solution when you raised this last year?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (20-08-2019)

Just found this site. I have no idea how old the list is but at least it gives the links...
    https://thefinancialbrand.com/69560/...digital-banks/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

bydand (20-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    Just found this site. I have no idea how old the list is but at least it gives the links...
    https://thefinancialbrand.com/69560/...digital-banks/
    From that list, the only one that I could find of those in the UK that accepted cheques AND allowed non-UK residents to open accounts was B (https://www.youandb.co.uk/). But I only made a cursory check and didnít make a wider search either.

Hope this helps.

No, I now have a dated cheque, I can send it back and get another one, but will wait for another bigger cheque I will receive from another pension pot. I suppose once I have both cheques I will have to personally go to a bank and get a no credit status bank account. required because of no UK address, no credit history and no utility bills with address to show them. Funny, they pay to a foreign accounts state pension income, but not rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    The "problem" for banks when opening accounts is that they are supposed to abide by so-called "know your customer" controls, introduced to combat money laundering. Normally this means that they have to have some proof of identity. For most banks, this means that they should at least see you once and check your id, if you have one. However, with the rise of internet banks, physical visits are not possible and they very often satisfy themselves by receiving some sort of proof of identity electronically or in writing. I've done this in the past with ME Bank in Belgium, for example, although I've closed that account now.

The problems might be to find a bank in the UK that will accept a cheque, and also the fact that you are no longer resident in the UK.

I'm assuming that you never found a solution when you raised this last year?

About the closest possibility, but I guess it's going to be awkward. While applying I got this. Screenshot from 2019-11-05 21-43-44.png