littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: What's подкопчённая & слабосолёная форел/сёмг

What's подкопчённая & слабосолёная форел/сёмг

For the first time I tried the подкопчённая, and the flavor seemed stronger than the слабосолёная I had been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    For the first time I tried the подкопчённая, and the flavor seemed stronger than the слабосолёная I had been getting.
    the first one is - lightly smoked - and the other one is - lightly salted - (but not smoked). i wonder though if the first variation is being -basted - with -liquid smoke - and quickly smoked, that gives a slightly - tart - flavor. and the color is also very distinctive....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

.......подкопчённая & слабосолёная форел/сёмг

The first thing to look at here is форел/сёмг.

форел is trout.

and сёмг(семга) is salmon.

Both are going to be farmed, (more than likely).

So, after that, one is smoked, and one is salted.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    So, after that, one is smoked, and one is salted.
    And both go pretty nice under vodka.

All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    the whole morning something was nagging me about the answers you got. - we - all think and know why is this -trout- also - pink-like the salmon. trout is after all smaller and not pink... the russian translation is a little bit a -misnomer-. in English it is -Salmon-Trout-. And the fish is an artificial cross, breeding done by the biologists and not the birds and the bees, between a wild salmon and a big wild trout. a better taste and not so fatty. that was the idea anyway. but now with all that cage farming in Norway, there is not TAHT much difference. not in taste nor in price... Only for REAL salmon you pay the real price. The Salmon is on top of the Salmon -family-. Then there is the -Somga -, Gorbuscha-, - Barabulka- and a few other salmonlike fishes...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (05-08-2019)

Barabulka isn't salmon-like fish , it's perch (Barsch, im Deutsch) -like fish.

And it is going better with beer.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    the whole morning something was nagging me about the answers you got. - we - all think and know why is this -trout- also - pink-like the salmon. trout is after all smaller and not pink... the russian translation is a little bit a -misnomer-. in English it is -Salmon-Trout-. And the fish is an artificial cross, breeding done by the biologists and not the birds and the bees, between a wild salmon and a big wild trout.
    The confusion is that they're both from the same biological family Salmonidae, fish that can live in both salt and fresh water (they're anadromous), and many of them have lifecycles where they spend part of their life at sea and part in fresh water (like the famous salmon runs in North America, sea fish that go upriver to breed). (Note they all breed in freshwater, just that some spend most of their lives at sea, others all of their lives in freshwater)

In fact, there are some fish that are actually identical and termed trout or salmon basically depending on where they're caught. Then there are lots of specific names (in both English and Russian) that are terms for fish where they're caught or live most of their lives - or some sub-fmilies/species that have distinctive shapes or features. Eg. arctic char (golets in Russian) has an almost entirely freshwater lifecycle.

So if you want a simple way to look at it: roughly speaking, salmon usually (but not always) refers to ones that are mostly saltwater fish (but usually /often go to freshwater sites to breed). What we term trout are generally fish that spend most/all of their lives in freshwater.

I have looked many times at different dictionaries and resources to find out what the difference between losos' and syomga is - and the short answer, the use of syomga is wildly inconsistent, and you can find sources that say one thing or another and they mostly all contradict each other. To make things worse, there is great inconsistency between different languages (eg the type known as freshwater whitefish in English doesn't seem to have a name in Russian, but probably does have a scientific name that is known in Russian).

Oh: and add to this, fish are often sold under different names based on what demand is. Given many of these fish are quite similar biologically, about the only way you could be really really certain is to do DNA testing. Short answer, when these tests are done on fish sold in markets, the fish are (mis)labelled under different names - at least with trout and salmon, they're probably in the same family. I believe but I'm not certain that the tinned gorbusha and various other names that are known in Russia may be covered by GOST, i.e. there is a better likelihood that the name corresponds to the fish's type (but I repeat - even that name may not mean very much). Also keep in mind for tinned product, if the fish processor has random other fish mixed in with their catch, no-one - even GOST - is going to catch that.

What does matter? Obviously freshness. Second, some salmon are prized based on their fattiness - atlantic salmon being the gold standard for being superfatty. Cold freshwater too. You can to a certain degree tell by looking at the flesh how fatty it is. The rest I leave to fish buying experts.

Oh, and the red/pink flesh thing? This is actually something that depends on diet. Certain types of feed give the deep pink colour. Some other fish in the salmonidae family are known as whitefish or greylings. Salmon are almost always pink. Trout - it depends on their natural diet. I think the difference is from eating some types of crustaceans but not certain about this. They can be almost perfectly white flesh if the things they eat don't have the thing that gives them that colour. If trout is smoked or salted and sold by a big company, it will usually be pinkish/reddish because that's what consumers expect (ie yes it is possible the company is adding colouring).

(I'm not an expert on this but have done a lot of reading on it over the years, and I'm pretty sure most of this is accurate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonidae

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (05-08-2019), Benedikt (05-08-2019), BigBear (06-08-2019)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotbarbe

indeed that is what it is....