littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Sending roubles to rouble account abroad

Sending roubles to rouble account abroad

I'm trying to find a way to aend roubles abroad without converting them first. Anyone know a bank that will do this? So far they all want a middleman bank, which I don't have, or say it has to be exchanged first. I opened a rouble account in the UK.

Go to your bank and ask about this, maybe a swift transfer can do it.
    https://transferwise.com/us/blog/tra...bank-transfers

Transferwise can't send roubles. No good

Have you asked in your bank?
    Swift should be able to do so, but the cost depend on all the banks that are a part in the transaction, so better ask in the bank(s).

Certain religious communities offer their members to transfer money from one country to another at very favourable price, perhaps for free.

Sberbank can't send roibles withoutba middleman bank in Russia. That's why I was going someone might know a bank that will do a rouble transfer

A bank outside of the Russian Federation, if it offers accounts in roubles, will itself hold those roubles on an account in its own name with a bank in Russia -- its rouble correspondent bank, or, as you call it, the "middleman bank." This is normal and is the same for any bank anywhere which offers accounts in "foreign" currencies. Sometimes lists of these correspondent banks are published, often they are not, so it is not surprising that whoever you were talking to at Sberbank insisted that you provide the information.

Your bank in the UK must have this information and should be able to provide you with clear instructions on how to make the transfer. If they can't provide it, consider closing the account and opening one with a bank that knows what it is talking about.

I think you'll find that Sberbank need to know the name and location of the Russian correspondent bank and its account number at the Central Bank of Russia, the name and location of the bank in the UK and its account number with its Russian correspondent bank, and then the title of your account with the UK bank and the account number. That's a relatively simple scenario assuming your UK account is with one of the main "High Street" banks. If it is not, then the entire payment chain may become far more complex. Again, I'm sorry to insist, ask your bank in the UK.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

bydand (08-08-2019), Hans.KK (08-08-2019)

Thanks Big bear, makes sense that. My account is with Revolut, not a high st bank. They have given me the BIC and IBAN, they say they have no middle bank

Try to send Roubles from Revolt UK to your Russian bank account. May be you find a missing link. Also take a look at somewhat similar issue.
    https://community.revolut.com/t/send...n-russia/42716

Can you not add funds to the account from a credit card? This article seems to suggest you can: https://www.revolut.com/help/getting...-money-by-card

I suspect that Revolut does not offer full services in roubles and assumes that remittances to a Revolut rouble account will be made in other currencies (e.g. pounds, dollars, etc.) and then converted by them into roubles. If your only other account is in Russia and in roubles, that is going to be difficult unless you send, say, a payment in pounds sterling.

Do go back to them and check, however. Having worked in international banking most of my life, I can assure you that sorting out incorrect payments is time consuming and costly.

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Have you looked into simply opening an Alphabank account??

Their lowest account tier only requires a 20k monthly spend on your card, which I think is pretty much unavoidable for most of us expats.

They have a really convenient, easy way to do international money transfers, right through their Alpha Klick online banking website. The fee is only 0.7% with a maximum charge of 700 rubles (as I recall), and for me the transfer went really quickly!

If you open a ruble and dollar account (no charge for that; probably there isn't for pounds, either,?), you can do the exchange right within your accounts and just send the foreign currency right overseas. Also, Alphabank has really good exchange rates, without the minimum exchange amounts like you see in those physical currency exchange places all over Moscow.

(I did a transfer to the USA)

The most unpleasant part of the experience was that my American bank, a regional one, PNC, ended up changing an INCOMING white transfer fee. But I solved that by doing the transfer the next time to Charles Schwab, where there was no such fee! . (when I called to inquire about their SWIFT code, I found out they have an intermediary bank in the States, but it wasn't tough at all; I just followed their instructions for the transfer reason, etc. and it all worked out just fine! )

(For my fellow Americans out there, I highly recommend getting a Charles Schwab account! In fact, somewhere here on this forum is where *I* foundthe recommendation, which is how I opened one! They have no minimum account balance requirements, and NO FEES for withdrawals from ATMs anywhere in the world!!! 👍☺️)

Happy Friday, everyone! Have a great weekend! 😁
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

nicklcool,
    Have you transferred money from US? Anybody did that without getting their account blocked? I am not talking about small sums like 1-2 K. I was planning to transfer 100K at the first time and then probably 50K every year. But now after reading about troubles with banks, their blocks for all kind of stupid reasons I am very scared and do not want to do any of that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seaworld For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (18-08-2019)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by seaworld View Post
    nicklcool,
    Have you transferred money from US? Anybody did that without getting their account blocked? I am not talking about small sums like 1-2 K. I was planning to transfer 100K at the first time and then probably 50K every year. But now after reading about troubles with banks, their blocks for all kind of stupid reasons I am very scared and do not want to do any of that.
    SeaWorld,

No, I have not. I've actually only done transfers TO the USA and then simple withdrawals here in Russia FROM the USA.

I've only withdrawn $1-2k all at once, MAYBE $3k at most, from my US Charles Schwab account through ATMs here in Russia. And since all the banks have incredibly small maximum withdrawal amounts for ATM transactions on foreign cards, you can imagine how many withdrawals that took! (Alphabank used to have a really high single-transaction cap for foreign ATM cards, something like 180k rubles, but they got rid of that about three years ago)

And so of course that flagged things and got my card blocked (not eaten by the ATM, just transactions blocked), which was sorted out pretty quickly after a call to the Charles Schwab folks.
    (BTW, neat tip for those who didn't know it, you can place toll free calls in the USA free through Skype)

I'm not sure if Charles Schwab has a monthly cap on withdrawal amounts (I'm sure they have a daily cap), because I never planned on withdrawing that much. But I can confirm 100% that they don't charge fees for overseas ATM withdrawals, so if you don't mind holding so much cash before dumping it into a Russian bank, and their daily/monthly withdrawal caps work for you, that could save you a lot on wire fees. And if you do decide to wire into Russia, I'd highly recommended looking at Alphabank-their outgoing wire process was so simple and cheap that I imagine they'd be the best for what you're looking for, too. Good luck!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

nicklcool,
    I have opened an account in Alphabank. I deposited money there from selling my apartment. But after reading stories on Russian forums I am stanned. They block everybody like other banks. I did not know it is that bad. They force you to close the account and remove your money to the different bank with 20-40% discount. Guess what - they send the notice to that bank that you are a potential money launder or whatever they call it!