littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Process for changing US driver's license to Russian license

Process for changing US driver's license to Russian license

Hey all!

I'm an American whose lived in Russia almost 9 years. I have permanent residency here.

I've been driving a long time on my US driver's license but it seems I need to replace it with Russian. Many of my foreign friends say that I don't need to change it but my wife is extremely nervous about what could happen if I'm stopped or in an accident.

So, who knows the procedure? Must I complete the physical driving test, theory test and classes? Or is there a possibility to simply switch?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
    Aaron

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    You don't need to change, I've been stopped many times, never had a problem showing my forigen driving licence, I've also got permanent residency.
    There was a thread on here about this, showing the rules about this , I'll find it later, if you wanna play it safe print out this rule.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Here's the thread,

https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...for-foreigners
    "You only need a local licence if you drive as a profession."

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    "You only need a local licence if you drive as a profession."
    We has it before, what is "you drive as a profession"?
    Is it that you are hired to drive a car/lorry/etc.?
    Is it that you are driving one of your company's company cars in your working hours?
    In both cases you get paid for "driving".
    Btw. the link have a reference to a law that is from 2013, is there any changes to that law?

I do also drive in my working hours, I do not have a Russian driver license, and I have to confess that I do not bring any sort of driver license with me at all, I do have one and it is legal, but I work out where there is almost no police and should they show up everybody knows within a few minutes. Tree times had the police been around within the last 5-6 years, and one time they were in riot gear with full face covered masks and armed like crazy, they stormed all our buildings at once, some kind of an achievement, we have many buildings and they are not all side by side, so some coordination must had been done before hand, to the best of my knowledge they gained nothing, they did knock down those that did not lay flat on the ground fast enough, so better follow the polices advice, especially if they are equipped with a mask and a big shooter thing.

Aaron, suppose it depends on the district where you live in... THEORETICALLY with a PRP you should change YOUR drivers license to a - local -one.after 6 month. THEORETICALLY that is. there are sites on the net where to check and learn what questions come up. try not to take the computer test if you can. you WILL fail at least once. after all - they- also need to make money... if you can accept the paper form and - for a small fee- the help of an Inspector. this way you will not fail. BUT as with so many things *Sacharovo does come to mind...*, you might have to take the test a second time. or if the - helping fee - is high enough, you pass at the first time. though it is not hundreds of $$$. dont let them become greedy and offer only local money... by the way, there is no need to hand in YOUY drivers license, just a copy. and if it is in English, a translation and the stamp and signature from a -Notarius- is needed. (I am talking about Strogino and the -GAI- here).
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....