littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Where were the cheap fruits & veggies this year?

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!

Where were the cheap fruits & veggies this year?

Seriously, what happened!?

I love how every year at some point in the summer the produce gets dirt cheap, especially the cucumbers and tomatoes!

But this year for some reason those two actually seemed more expensive than usual, and they never went down in price! Even the cheap Staples of onions and potatoes seem more expensive than usual! (In general this year I noticed inflation on all groceries, people say it happens every year, but since August 2015 when we arrived, I haven't once "felt"inflation; this is the first year I actually noticed the prices go up).

What happened? Was there a drought or something? Does the government usually subsidize these fruits and veggies, and this year they didn't?
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (28-08-2019)

Somebody had just decided: "We will all sell to this new high price, all of us that is!".
    I am in the south and fruit is more expansive than in St. Petersburg, and the thing is growing on all fields around here, locals says that there is an order that all have to sell at the same high minimum price, they can go higher no problem, but not lower.
    A fruit mafia?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (01-08-2019)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Don't know much about fruits & veggies prices, but meat seems to be getting cheaper, at Bila, Miratorg steaks with Bila discount card are a bargain.
    Another bargain to be had is at the small shops of Red and White, drinks much cheaper than your usual supermarkets, Boddingtons Bitter imported from the UK for 89 ru, Stella at 54 ru, Boddingtons Bitter at Bila is 205 ru, crazy price.
    If you spend more than a 1000ru at R&W you get a discount card, even cheaper for some things.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (20-08-2019), Uncle Wally (28-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    the small shops of Red and White
    Civil War!!!
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Judge (19-08-2019), Uncle Wally (28-08-2019)

......Boddingtons Bitter imported from the UK for 89 ru, ..... Boddingtons Bitter at Bila is 205 ru, crazy price.
    If you spend more than a 1000ru at R&W you get a discount card, even cheaper for some things.
    I might just have to check this out!

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    ..... but since August 2015 when we arrived, I haven't once "felt"inflation; this is the first year I actually noticed the prices go up).
    Maybe it is the first time you have paid attention?

When I first came, beer was like, 12-15 rub a can. That was a .5l can.

Now, many beer cans are .45, but are the same price as a few years ago. So, they sell less volume, but at the same price. = hidden inflation. and its the same all around. less weight or more packaging, but at the same price.

I remember a few years back being able to go out with the fam and spend a few rubies on the weekend for food n fun. Now, geez man.

Min 5k in my pocket for food (fast food or just slightly better) and funs? well, that's another 3-5k (for kiddie type stuff). and i have to even say no to most things cuz it's stupid crazy expensive.

I just got back from being gone a few months and a lot of the local biz that had been around for some time has gone belly up.

I can't imagine what it's like in the real russia.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Judge (20-08-2019), nicklcool (20-08-2019)

I can't imagine what it's like in the real russia
    Food prices in shops I'd say are generally the same, what's cheaper outside of moscow in smaller cities, towns is transport and restaurants, cheaper rent= cheaper steaks.
    I was in Electrostal the other week, had a decent size ribeye for 800ru.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Civil War!!!
    You always have war on your mind

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Maybe it is the first time you have paid attention?

When I first came, beer was like, 12-15 rub a can. That was a .5l can.

Now, many beer cans are .45, but are the same price as a few years ago. So, they sell less volume, but at the same price. = hidden inflation. and its the same all around. less weight or more packaging, but at the same price.

I remember a few years back being able to go out with the fam and spend a few rubies on the weekend for food n fun. Now, geez man.

Min 5k in my pocket for food (fast food or just slightly better) and funs? well, that's another 3-5k (for kiddie type stuff). and i have to even say no to most things cuz it's stupid crazy expensive.

I just got back from being gone a few months and a lot of the local biz that had been around for some time has gone belly up.

I can't imagine what it's like in the real russia.
    Aha, I chose to become a vegetarian about 7yrs ago and gave up drinking about 5yrs ago, so those are prices that I don't pay as much attention to
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

Don't know much about fruits & veggies prices, but meat seems to be getting cheaper, at Bila, Miratorg steaks with Bila discount card are a bargain.
    Another bargain to be had is at the small shops of Red and White, drinks much cheaper than your usual supermarkets, Boddingtons Bitter imported from the UK for 89 ru, Stella at 54 ru, Boddingtons Bitter at Bila is 205 ru, crazy price.
    Be careful with those bargain meat prices, Judge!! Benedikt posted a few weeks ago the "RosComSomething" report on meat food quality (I can't remember what cut it was for), and the results were pretty spooky! Pretty soon it will be better to raise your own cattle and pigs at your dacha!

Wow, if you spend only 5k per month on groceries, AND you've got Rugrats, I congratulate you on working some TRUE penny pincher magic!!

Seriously, I'm not sure how one could keep a family's monthly grocery budget under 20k, let alone 10!! Or maybe you were referring to a single shopping trip!

Be careful with those bargain meat prices, Judge!! Benedikt posted a few weeks ago the "RosComSomething" report on meat food quality (I can't remember what cut it was for), and the results were pretty spooky! Pretty soon it will be better to raise your own cattle and pigs at your dacha!
    it is ROSKONTROL and i think they do a quite good job,
    remember ONE thing when going shopping. the early bird catches the worm. Auchan out here for instance opens at 7 in the morning. the shelves are full. from cheap to very expensive. from quality - good - to substandard. first thing you see an -onslaught- of babushkas. They KNOW where to get the cheap things first, they KNOW where there is no hurry because prices are the same all day long and shelves are full.BILLA gets deliveries at 4 and 5 in the morning, time to stock the shelves, when they open, the trolly brigade does not look left or right. and if you are not fast enough, they run you over....LOOK IN YOUR MAILBOX,CHECK THE SITES OF THE SUPERMARKETS and THEN go shopping. Of course it is known by now that NO ONE in town has cheaper bananas then AUCHAN.but they are a -loss leader -. no one goes and buys bananas only. buy from the -stores - that have their own bakery and butchery.GLOBUS has. they buy meat in bulk, cut it up themselves and from the bits and pieces make meatloaf. at that counter you NEVER can get on without waiting. do not buy winter clothes when it starts freezing. prizes there are at a premium. buy in April when there is a sale on because they need space for the summer collections. do you REALLY need the fashion? that is outdated in 4 months...ok, then pay the pice. last years are cheaper by at least 50%. Have you ever shopped at an -outlet village -? Belaya Dacha for instance. by their management law everthing MUST be at least 30 % cheaper then in normal shops. how they do it.A lot is last seasons fashion. some is a small, not even noticeable color misprint or mistake. some is factory overruns.or some are just things the designer thought it WILL be a hit and it was not....
    and a few old hints and tips, indeed as old as the hills but still valid.
    never go shopping with kids. your trolley will be at least have 25% fewer things in it.
    never shop when you are hungry.
    bend down to the last shelf. (Bückware, or - bending down goods). the muesli tastes the same packed i na plain bag instead of a fancy multi colored box.
    do not always believe in advertising. sometimes 3 small boxes are cheaper then one big box.
    do you need all the which you buy. do you absolutely need that french plonk or smelly cheese? and then throw away half of it. because you forgot about it in the refrigerator.
    think wisely about the sell by date and use by date.lentils were found from 2000 years back and they were put into soil and grew. sugar, salt ,soda, needs no use by date as long as they are kept dry.
    fair enough attention should be paid to dairy, fish hand meat. but if it has no - mushrooms - growing on top, if it is not brown and slimy or tastes and smells sour, it still is eatables.MINCE though we do at home ourselves. for a simple reason. we do it the way we want it. THAT proportion of beef or pork and fat the way we want it. Invest in a good, old-fashioned RUSSIAN mincer. they will last forever and you get tons of spare parts and accessories.
    are you good with a knife, have a spare space and know how to cut up half a pig?Invest in a deep freezer. the maximum sizer you can buy. ( 13000 rubles at AUCHAN gets you something that you will have a great time to fill up. by the way forget about -OZON- or -AVITO- or other Internet sites, they are NOT cheaper. I checked. and -white ware - you only buy new...or at a big discount when a piece of paint is splittered off...At AUCHAN or GLOBUS but also MIRATORG you get big pieces of meat, a whole leg, a whole loin, cut it up, wrap it tightly in cling foil and freeze it.
    is that imported Argentinian or Australian steak realy that much better then the local Black Angus? Remember one thing. Beef imports come by ship,vacuum packed, stored at 0C and have already 3 or 4 weeks time to age. - Local - meat is butchered, packed, and goes onto the shelves in max after a week. with no time to age...
    take piece of paper with you, the shopping list that you did at home and buy only THAT which is written down. you think you can do that? NEVER in your live. advertising, special orders and offers, the smell of freshly baked bread, the soft music and light and NO windows are al there for ONE reason only. to make you spend much more on things that you do not need, did not want in the first place but could not resist. maybe tomorrow they are gone and i MUST better buy them today...
    HAPPY SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Wow, if you spend only 5k per month on groceries, AND you've got Rugrats, I congratulate you on working some TRUE penny pincher magic!!

Seriously, I'm not sure how one could keep a family's monthly grocery budget under 20k, let alone 10!! Or maybe you were referring to a single shopping trip!
    We spend a lot on food.* But we also make it all from scratch, so that cuts down quite a bit. I'm pretty crazy, for instance, I make my own bacon and grind my own meat.

Food purity in Russia is troubling, to say the least. Of course, Russia mostly borrows food engineering from the west, bit they also improve upon it quite a bit.

I put a special emphasis on the cleanliness of water (4 stage reverse osmosis filter) food, (all from scratch and very balanced. Our nanny is orthodox, so we also observe the various meatless periods, although not as strictly as she does.) And air purity in the apartment. I'm saving up to buy a super expensive cleaning system, but till then my older stuff has to suffice. I know the city is dirty, but for the time we spend and sleep in the flat, I know we will breathe clean air.

*I'm also pretty hyper vigilant on food prices and shop at around 5-6 stores over the city as I know the prices/quality of almost every common food off the top of my head.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (28-08-2019)