littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: choosing to build a house on plot of land, Ruza, west of Moscow.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    Can I ask the more experienced of you all, is it really true that even when you hire a company or independent contractors, you have to monitor the actual building process, to ensure you aren't defrauded or shortcutted!?
    Yes.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (01-07-2019), nicklcool (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    When we bought our house (which was built in the late 1980s) we were surprised (shocked even) to find that despite having been renovated fairly recently, the electrical installation was protected by one single fuse.
    Moreover, very many rural area houses still have 2-wire connection to power input lines (phase + zero), no grounding.

In cities, state standard for power with grounding in residential buildings was inroduced only in late USSR, in 1986th.

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Yes.
    Доверяй, но контролируй!
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

That was the situation in our house, Andy. We had an earth connection installed after we moved in. It got us a plus point from the Inspector

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (02-07-2019), nicklcool (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    That was the situation in our house, Andy. We had an earth connection installed after we moved in. It got us a plus point from the Inspector
    Heh. Once upon a time our company was renting premises in one of former USSR scientific/research institutes of Moscow... now they're bureaucrats in some govt institution.
    As they had some relation to telecom, they also had grounding contour in all premises installed... but not really grounded. We started to investigate and dig the question, as planned to launch IT equipment production site there and needed quality mains in. And in a couple of weeks we've found the cable end just behing the fence, torn many years ago while building somewhat garages or supplementary construction nearby. We've found the huge copper plate 2 m deep, required by GOST, and we've connected and molded the cable... then attached the guys-operators on assembly line to the contour by special antistatic bracelets. Failure rate for memory modules has immediately dropped down 10 times.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (02-07-2019), nicklcool (02-07-2019)

But at least they did use quality fuses (French, as recommended by Benedikt!)[/QUOTE]

we have one circuit breaker for each room. where there are lights and plugs only. And one each for the washing machine, hot water boiler, and electric oven.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (02-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimpson View Post
    Is there anyone interested or has experience in building a house (dacha) on a plot of land in Russia? If so I would like to share your experiences.

My wife and I have a plot of land (12 sotkas) in Ruza, about 60 Km west of Moscow. We have looked at various options, and it can be quite a task in costing under a budget, as obviously there is more to cost than the cost of the basic structure of the house, such as winter insulation, internal wood cladding. In some case not even the internal doors and may not be in the package price. You have then to consider sewerage for running water, washing machines and toilets, a well for running water, electrical wiring etc, etc, etc. We have a budget of $30,000 and realise their will have further costs over and above the house being built. This is one of the links we are considering as the package is quite good compared to what others are offering, as for example wood thickness as standard for insulation, and will include wood panelling on ceiling, floor and walls as well as tiled appearance roof. Prices can be deceiving where other put all of what I mentioned as extras.
    I once looked at a place near Ruza; nice area.

To be honest your budget seems tight - depending on what you want. Winterized, to live in full time, etc. You may end up having to do things in stages.

Depending also how much you want to live there - full time, part time, just weekends, etc. Electric heat does get expensive, but there are ways to deal with that (some examples, heat pumps, which will struggle a bit in cold temperatures, and the equipment isn't free, either). If you get the three-tariff rate, night time electricity is cheap.

No easy answers on trade-offs. Some of the stuff will just plain cost money, and the tricky part is figuring out what will cost you way more in the long run. If you're going to live in it year round, more insulation is worth the money.

I don't understand the brick obsession. It's expensive, it's harder to insulate, and it's just as vulnerable to doing a crappy job as any other building tech. Doing renovations/moving walls after is a nightmare. It is harder to burn a brick building to the ground, but then you've got a fire damaged interior and fixtures/plumbing/electrics that are barely reachable and may not be salvageable anyway.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (02-07-2019), johnsimpson (01-07-2019), nicklcool (02-07-2019)

Brick built? A higher budget than stated I presume. And what is wrong with the log houses shown?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

Armoured (04-07-2019)

Yes it's tight , and we have received a quote for that amount. Selecting a log house under the name of Russian chalet. russianchalet.jpg
    We may also have to giveaway without the attractive tiled appearance roof for the time being to keep within budget, of course there will be additional costs after the house is complete.
    http://https://teremwood.ru/catalog/proekty-domov-iz-brevna/russkiy-shale/

[QUOTE=johnsimpson;1488243]Yes it's tight , and we have received a quote for that amount. Selecting a log house under the name of Russian chalet.
    We may also have to giveaway without the attractive tiled appearance roof for the time being to keep within budget, of course there will be additional costs after the house is complete.

just make sure what is included in the price. is the FOUNDATION INCLUDED? HOW DEEP WILL THE CONCRETE BE? dont forget to look before they put the first beams onto the foundation that they have put down thick and good insulation. either mats or rubber or whatever they use. but NOT just with a brush some thin layer of bitumen... and it is obvious that the first foundation beams should be fastend with long thick screws into the concrete. so the building will not move. contractors tend to - forget - these things, special when no one is looking...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (02-07-2019), johnsimpson (02-07-2019), nicklcool (02-07-2019)

The details are provided specifically in the company website I gave, they have also given us a detailed quote for what we have selected based on providing a foundation, however get your point every stage needs to be watched to ensure it is to their specifications. It helps they have a profile history of many houses built for their previous customers. I must its doing my head in with my wife keeps panicking and changing to other options and the fear of the future when all money is spent. I continue to dream for our dream log house, as she worries of a recession as we struggle up and down with which she calls a recession.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (02-07-2019)

Would you agree the traditional Russian built log-house is clearly winterised naturally with the logs. The timber frame house comes with rockwall insulation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimpson View Post
    Would you agree the traditional Russian built log-house is clearly winterised naturally with the logs. The timber frame house comes with rockwall insulation etc.
    With the logs the issue is the connection between the logs particularly if they move and shrink as they dry. So it may be breezier after a few years. And they will shrink and settle.

The first one you linked to is engineered wood and is supposed to not have these issues of the wood beams are dried and laminated well. I'm a bit surprised it says they use rockwool as well. Do they have a picture of what the wall layering is supposed to look like?

Wood frame is sticks with gaps in which they put the insulation (usually rockwool). It can her perfectly fine but is actually a bit more sensitive to having guys who know what they're doing and also having the right outside cladding, vapour and liquid barriers, and being carefully sealed. Usually close to cheapest to build but I'd be cautious with that here. (tech is fine but build quality is easy to screw up)

Personally here I'd go for the engineered wood beams with good thickness. All else equal of course.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (03-07-2019), nicklcool (05-07-2019)

You are getting confused with two links and two option I gave. One is for a timber frame house and within the package yes there is rockwool insulation, internal doors, wood interior panelling on walls, ceiling and floor. The second option for logs and yes there is a set calculator for different options on the thickness of those logs and whether or not they are pre-machine finished which is the dearest option. Yes, the logs need to settle for a year before continuing the second stage and will have a temporary roof. On adding the attractive traditional lookin tiled roof and with double glazing rather than standard windows the budget price I now realise will be $40,000 perhaps a little more. Of course when you consider bathroom suites, running water, fitted kitchen etc, the budget may well run into $50,000. i suggest you read both sites as they are well written, even if you read it in google translation it is pretty good. Timber-frame: http:////new.homgart.com/catalog/
    Log house: http://teremwood.ru

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

Armoured (03-07-2019), nicklcool (05-07-2019)

In regards to the timber-frame house insulation, the rock-wool is placed first, and then wood panels are installed to the floors, walls and ceiling. The whole finished interior is wood. There are two options the thickness of wood and I would go for the thickest for lohg stay and winter living.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

Armoured (03-07-2019)

[QUOTE=johnsimpson;1488189]Is there anyone interested or has experience in building a house (dacha) on a plot of land in Russia? If so I would like to share your experiences.

this is a long shot and maybe even to late? contact this guy. looks super to me. wonder what he could do for you?
    https://www.facebook.com/olegkovalpr...type=3&theater

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast