littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: choosing to build a house on plot of land, Ruza, west of Moscow.

choosing to build a house on plot of land, Ruza, west of Moscow.

Is there anyone interested or has experience in building a house (dacha) on a plot of land in Russia? If so I would like to share your experiences.

My wife and I have a plot of land (12 sotkas) in Ruza, about 60 Km west of Moscow. We have looked at various options, and it can be quite a task in costing under a budget, as obviously there is more to cost than the cost of the basic structure of the house, such as winter insulation, internal wood cladding. In some case not even the internal doors and may not be in the package price. You have then to consider sewerage for running water, washing machines and toilets, a well for running water, electrical wiring etc, etc, etc. We have a budget of $30,000 and realise their will have further costs over and above the house being built. This is one of the links we are considering as the package is quite good compared to what others are offering, as for example wood thickness as standard for insulation, and will include wood panelling on ceiling, floor and walls as well as tiled appearance roof. Prices can be deceiving where other put all of what I mentioned as extras.

https://new.homgart.com/catalog/zago...gorodnyy-dom-/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (30-06-2019)

My wife and I have a plot of land (12 sotkas) in Ruza, about 60 Km west of Moscow. We have looked at various options, and it can be quite a task in costing under a budget, as obviously there is more to cost than the cost of the basic structure of the house, such as winter insulation, internal wood cladding. In some case not even the internal doors and may not be in the package price. You have then to consider sewerage for running water, washing machines and toilets, a well for running water, electrical wiring etc, etc, etc. We have a budget of $30,000 and realise their will have further costs over and above the house being built. This is one of the links we are considering as the package is quite good compared to what others are offering, as for example wood thickness as standard for insulation, and will include wood panelling on ceiling, floor and walls as well as tiled appearance roof. Prices can be deceiving where other put all of what I mentioned as extras.

dont forget if you have a -septic tank- needs emptying once a year.
    telephone, Internet, where does it come from.
    is there enough sun to have a photovoltaic installation. for hot water but also electricity. ( rather new in Russia, no subsidies and it needs about 10 or 15 years for amortisation)
    definitely worth to install an extra tank to collect rainwater. even bathroom and,washing machine and all basins water. only toilet to go into septic tank
    in winter who cleans the road of snow? how much to pay, if any?
    very important how many kgr per sqm weight of snow will the roof be able to hold.
    if you have a house you should at least part of it make a cellar or at least a -pogrip-. to store all the jams, pickles, compotes, fruits and vegetables that will accumulate from friends, neighbors and your own.
    how good is your electricity supply. worth to invest in a generator to have in a fix at least some light and the freezer going. and of course the hot water kettle. at least one can prepare - doshirak- noodles...
    check out the KROKUS EXPO website. there is in October i believe an exhibition about building, constructions, houses, dachas and the likes. well worth seeing.
    and definitely well worth to contact the local - hardware - store and building suppliers.. they are around every other corner either were a new suburb goes up. or on the outskirts of every bigger construction site...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (29-06-2019), nicklcool (30-06-2019)

From what I understand, most companies subcontract out the actual work. So, the easiest and cheapest way is to choose the cheapest options and then explain what u want to the guys that are a actually going to do the work.

You buy the materials and have them delivered, they do the installation. But u also have to keep track of materials, since they might over estimate and then sell the excess or replace with cheaper/inferior materials.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (06-07-2019), nicklcool (30-06-2019)

For sure find out how much it will cost to connect to gas and electricity, if not already there. This can be a big expensive hassle.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (29-06-2019), johnsimpson (29-06-2019), nicklcool (30-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    From what I understand, most companies subcontract out the actual work. So, the easiest and cheapest way is to choose the cheapest options and then explain what u want to the guys that are a actually going to do the work.

You buy the materials and have them delivered, they do the installation. But u also have to keep track of materials, since they might over estimate and then sell the excess or replace with cheaper/inferior materials.
    correct. you never let them buy material themselves. first their friends write out higher cheques and they split the profits. or they charge you - lookalikes- and later when they burst you see that inside was cheap cast iron with a -veneer - of stainless steel instead of stainless steel. the firs -kapremont - we still had to pay our dues. but no more. never buy the cheapest, you do not have enough money for that!and never buy from a friend who has a friend who knows Micha who has everything, does everything and knows everything. while it does not mean anymore - made in Germany- is best quality and - made in China - is crap. you get what you pay for.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (30-06-2019)

Our plot of land is co-op owned so no problem with road clearing etc. In regards to gas, no gas, but there is electricity.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (30-06-2019)

Thank you all for your posts, most helpful. In my case I would have a problem with snow clearing or electricity supply as it is co-op land. I will have to put up with mobile telephone internet, Satellite dish etc for internet, most important as our income comes from internet. There will be no land-line as far as I know. Our current intentions is to use a large company who will also carry out the construction. My wife has come up with another as she often does and I must admit I'm sold. A timber log-house, more space, for same budget and solid, no chance of this house falling down from snow on the roof. Worth looking at and the videos are enjoyable to watch.

https://teremwood.ru/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (30-06-2019)

, no chance of this house falling down from snow on the roof. Worth looking at and the videos are enjoyable to watch.

ask them how many kgs of snow per sqm it will carry? and dont let you being told that all is according to law....the law in EVERY country is like a prostitute. you pay and you get what you pay for...
    find out from a reputable insurance company what will be the premium for insuring a wooden house. will you get a discount for having a pond (always filled with water...). what difference is needed for wiring between a concrete and wood House. and try to get all this in writing and signed by a person who CAN sign.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

bydand (30-06-2019), johnsimpson (01-07-2019), nicklcool (30-06-2019)

To paraphrase Benedikt; don't trust anyone you don't have to!!!

A former employer/mentor taught me, you don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect.
    I have found this to be especially true in Russia.
    Last edited by bydand; 30-06-2019 at 09:13.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

Armoured (30-06-2019), Benedikt (30-06-2019), nicklcool (30-06-2019)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Thank you to the OP for this incredibly useful and needed thread!

Can I ask the more experienced of you all, is it really true that even when you hire a company or independent contractors, you have to monitor the actual building process, to ensure you aren't defrauded or shortcutted!?
    That sounds awfully inconvenient, and almost defeats the purpose of hiring other people to do the work!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    Thank you to the OP for this incredibly useful and needed thread!

Can I ask the more experienced of you all, is it really true that even when you hire a company or independent contractors, you have to monitor the actual building process, to ensure you aren't defrauded or shortcutted!?
    That sounds awfully inconvenient, and almost defeats the purpose of hiring other people to do the work!
    definitely. to me it does not matter who did our constructions or repairs. one of us was always with them. with a car. or other means of transport. they would tell you we need this and that and ten thousand other details. and still forget a small little detail. on purpose or not, it did not matter to us. Leroy Merlin is around the corner. And so were other building suppliers. and things that we had ordered, either via Internet, visited a showroom, one of us was there to check and made sure it was what WE ordered. and that all the LITTLE DETAILS were also packed.never mind we did the BIG -shopping- at the beginning. and since WE bought all the things, they did not bring more then the basic tools. and we bought the rest. of course when machinery was needed, tile cutters, big - perforators- they had their own.

some small little details for instance. we bought FRENCH circuit breakers. because i know they are better the anything else. 2 years later, at an inspection (for something different) an inspector who did not know the circumstances, told me that this were the best ones and that he had never seen them before. he only had heard of them. came along the neighbors lady, she -just have bought some circuit breakers at a special sale-... the inspector looked at them and replied HE for sure would not install them....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

bydand (01-07-2019), johnsimpson (01-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    To paraphrase Benedikt; don't trust anyone you don't have to!!!

A former employer/mentor taught me, you don't get what you expect, you get what you inspect.
    I have found this to be especially true in Russia.
    -trust is good, check and double check even better.-

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    ...some small little details for instance. we bought FRENCH circuit breakers. because i know they are better the anything else. 2 years later, at an inspection (for something different) an inspector who did not know the circumstances, told me that this were the best ones and that he had never seen them before. he only had heard of them. came along the neighbors lady, she -just have bought some circuit breakers at a special sale-... the inspector looked at them and replied HE for sure would not install them....
    When we bought our house (which was built in the late 1980s) we were surprised (shocked even) to find that despite having been renovated fairly recently, the electrical installation was protected by one single fuse. And had been inspected and approved. So donít expect the same safety standards that you might be used to.

We couldnít afford to have the entire installation ripped out and renewed so we contented ourselves with a more superficial update, resulting in a nice new fuse box with about 25 different circuits. Again inspected and approved. But no-one ever checked how many power sockets were on each circuit, for example, and none of the circuits where, for example, apparatus that is connected to water (heater, washing machine, etc.) are still not protected by differential circuit breakers ó a legal requirement back home in Belgium.

But at least they did use quality fuses (French, as recommended by Benedikt!)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (01-07-2019), nicklcool (01-07-2019)

I was talking about about a solid built Russian log house, as shown in the link.

Brick is the way to go.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast