littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: American Tax Return

American Tax Return

Just wondering what you use to file taxes to the USA. I thought that TaxAct or TurboTax would do that. But when I tried them I did get what I was looking for. I did not pay for the software. Probably that was the reason. But I cannot tell that the version that they say will do the work for me shows all forms I need to submit. What do you use?

Figured it out. Turbotax for $60 did everything. BTW anybody needs help I can walk you through or do it for you.

It's time for the tax return for Americans! Do you have anything sitting in your 401/Traditional IRA? Would you like to move some amount of them to ROTH IRA without paying taxes?

Taxes filed abroad are due later, not the traditional April filing

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    why are you so keen on paying taxes? not paid taxes, does your receiver put it in the computer and they arrest you already at the airport when returning?

https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...lectronic-form
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    why are you so keen on paying taxes? not paid taxes, does your receiver put it in the computer and they arrest you already at the airport when returning?
    Failure to pay more than $52,000 in federal debts and IRS will notify State Department to revoke US passport. If you don't pay taxes for several years and federal debts adds up so now you know why we have to do it or renounce US citizenship.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (27-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Failure to pay more than $52,000 in federal debts and IRS will notify State Department to revoke US passport. If you don't pay taxes for several years and federal debts adds up so now you know why we have to do it or renounce US citizenship.
    more or less the same, just a little bit different, i nRussia. if you have a certain amount of money owing, i do not on the fast recall the sum,and you want to fly out on vacation, kiss at least your plane good buy. might that be alimony, traffic fines, not paid service charges for your apartement, they are getting more and more clever at the airport. and most of the times the controls are happing when SBERKASSA has closed...and the Bankomat is out of order. Or the law wants also a stamp and signature of the bank clerk who took your money...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Americans abroad don't pay taxes if a person earns less than something like $98,000 a year. More if married, kids, etc. Anyways, if you don't pay/file, then eventually you prob won't get the "government pension".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (27-01-2020)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Americans abroad don't pay taxes if a person earns less than something like $98,000 a year. More if married, kids, etc. Anyways, if you don't pay/file, then eventually you prob won't get the "government pension".
    ... Which won't be around for us, anyway!

But yeah, American, last I checked, our tax-free earnings cap cap is more like 80k, and housing and a buncha other expenses are deductible... But in spirit, you are right!!
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

It does not come automatically. You MUST file your US taxes if you reach your filing requirements (single $12,200, married filing jointly $24,400 (if both are US citizens or residents), married filing separately $5 (if one is US citizen and second is not)). Then you can exclude up to $105,900 of foreign EARNED income. But again, if you have any traditional IRA in US it is probably the time to convert them into ROTH without paying any taxes.
    June will be here soon
    Wrong answer. Americans abroad could pay taxes, for example self-employed people because Russia is not a member of Social Security system. Too many details...

BTW self-employed people have different filing requirement - $400.