littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: What is the registration status of train or hotel that doesn't register?

What is the registration status of train or hotel that doesn't register?

OK, I've been registered at a previous hotel up until a certain date, taking a train for a few days and then staying in another hotel for a few days, to be followed by getting an apartment where the landlord will register. (This hotel says "we are a small hotel so we don't register".)

I wonder if being on the train counts as "being registered".

Also, if I stayed at a hotel, and the hotel didn't register me, doesn't that mean that it's not my fault since a hotel is supposed to register all foreign guests?

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    OK, I've been registered at a previous hotel up until a certain date, taking a train for a few days and then staying in another hotel for a few days, to be followed by getting an apartment where the landlord will register. (This hotel says "we are a small hotel so we don't register".)

I wonder if being on the train counts as "being registered".

Also, if I stayed at a hotel, and the hotel didn't register me, doesn't that mean that it's not my fault since a hotel is supposed to register all foreign guests?
    Train doesn't count as being registered but need to keep the ticket stub as a proof. If you stay in the city for more than 5 business days then you need to register.

By law, hotels are required to register you. You do not want to be walking around without a registration slip and you can get into a lot of trouble if you get caught. If hotel refuse to register you then go stay at a different hotel.

What if you have already paid for the hotel for all the time of your stay? It seems that the law clearly states that the hotel is supposed to register, so that would appear to give safe harbor.

What if you have already paid for the hotel for all the time of your stay? It seems that the law clearly states that the hotel is supposed to register, so that would appear to give safe harbor.
    It's your responsibility to check if the hotel will make registration before you make a reservation. Some small hotel or hostel advertised on airbnb will not comply with the law. Police won't care what your excuses are if you get stopped for document checks.

I've heard that police can't ask for registration any more. What about the law that requires landlords register? I'm more interested in being able to get registered after staying in such a place for a few days, and having the registration bureau not count those days.

I've heard that police can't ask for registration any more. What about the law that requires landlords register? I'm more interested in being able to get registered after staying in such a place for a few days, and having the registration bureau not count those days.
    we all have - heard - or -seen- or - know from someone who FOR SURE KNOWS-. The police will indeed not stop you and check your documents if there is no cause for it.but that is then the end of it.god forbid you are involved in an accident, something happens to you, a dog bites you, or you get into a fight with a drunk or - just happened- you need a policlinic or hospital.should you need for work a medical book, as i do, first thing they looked ALWAYS where is my registration...NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING better make sure the docs are ready and correct.AIRBNB I would not stay if they offer me for free. most of them have mini cameras in their place. fair enough, they want to know who trashed their place. and they do NOT tell that you are being recorded. it is not that they want your nude frolicking and doings that goes on, just to make sure the palce is not left in tatters when you check out. but still... also, most of them are themselves not registered anywhere, once more, they want to avoid paying tax... so it can happen and it WILL happen ( as I was reading in an Austrian newspaper) that the law might come knocking...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

You got very bad information. You can be fined 2,000 to 5,000 rubles plus a strike in Russian database which can prevent you from getting a new Russian visa or 5 years ban from Russia. If you get 3 strikes for breaking any laws and it's bye-bye Russia. The police have the rights to ask to see the registration. I have been stopped by the police for document checks thrice in 14 years in Russia and recent one was 2 months ago in a blablacar.

Landlords are required to register you but many of them do not to avoid paying taxes. The fines for landlords or companies can go up to 500,000 rubles if they do not register foreigners.

As far as I know, after arrival in a Russian city you are supposed to get registration within 7 days. Also, you will need a registration to buy sim cards, open bank accounts, or any services you need in Russia. Some hotels will refuse to register you if you've been in the city more than 7 days.

Don't be naive and get registration done properly to avoid hassles or fines.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (21-04-2019), Hizam4747 (26-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    ... which can prevent you from getting a new Russian visa or 5 years ban from Russia. If you get 3 strikes for breaking any laws and it's bye-bye Russia.
    I guess it is a nightmare if you cannot not get back to Russia. It is funny. It is also completely opposite to the opinion at the forum of Russian women in USA- they are very grateful that they were taken out of that hell. Pretty much all of them came using that fiances visa(mail order brides). Most of them are staying at home because it is cheaper not to work -they cannot get any jobs that pay more than $15 in hour. It's just so funny what you said!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to seaworld For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (21-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    You got very bad information. You can be fined 2,000 to 5,000 rubles plus a strike in Russian database which can prevent you from getting a new Russian visa or 5 years ban from Russia. If you get 3 strikes for breaking any laws and it's bye-bye Russia. The police have the rights to ask to see the registration. I have been stopped by the police for document checks thrice in 14 years in Russia and recent one was 2 months ago in a blablacar.

Landlords are required to register you but many of them do not to avoid paying taxes. The fines for landlords or companies can go up to 500,000 rubles if they do not register foreigners.

As far as I know, after arrival in a Russian city you are supposed to get registration within 7 days. Also, you will need a registration to buy sim cards, open bank accounts, or any services you need in Russia. Some hotels will refuse to register you if you've been in the city more than 7 days.

Don't be naive and get registration done properly to avoid hassles or fines.
    Well, I hadn't arrived in St. Pete until the 17th (Wednesday). In any case, I finally got registered via my landlord on the 23rd, although we started the process at Мои Документы on the 22nd.

Oh, and how would a hotel know that you've been in a city for more than 7 days? The only thing it would know is the last place that I've been registered, which in my case was a different city.

Well, I hadn't arrived in St. Pete until the 17th (Wednesday). In any case, I finally got registered via my landlord on the 23rd, although we started the process at Мои Документы on the 22nd.

Oh, and how would a hotel know that you've been in a city for more than 7 days? The only thing it would know is the last place that I've been registered, which in my case was a different city.
    They will ask to see your train ticket or registration slip to make sure you didn't overstay in the city without making new registration.