littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about passport check by Проводница

Question about passport check by Проводница

Today I had to leave my Canadian passport at the Chinese Embassy (I applied for a tourist visa). So I will get back my passport only next week with the Chinese visa.
    Now, I want travel for the weekend to Nizhny Novgorod with the sapsan. I have at the moment no passport with Russian Visa. Does it mean I can not travel by train?
    Well, I have double citizenship. My parents are French, so I also have French passport (which has no Russian visa on it thou).
    My question is if the Проводница will check only my identity (which I can prove with my French Passport), or also if I have a Russian visa?

I travel with trains a lot, I see that they check you ticket against your document and that is all, but I have also seen that the police comes into the train and while we are rolling they check everybody's documents, and those that do not comply to what ever the police are checking have to follow the police through the train, and this line get longer and longer as the police go wagon by wagon, at a station they all go to the police house at that station and the police do their stuff.

I think you may have luck to use you French passport, especially if you buy the ticket online, if it is a clever approach to use your French passport is a totally different question, I am in doubt if it is wisely to travel to much around without you visa.

If the Chinese embassy gave your a sort of paper (in Russian, otherwise translated and notary stamp) that state that they have you passport for processing, then that may be a thing to have on hand together with a notary stamped copy of you passport with the visa.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Max1982 (25-03-2019)

If the Chinese embassy gave your a sort of paper (in Russian, otherwise translated and notary stamp) that state that they have you passport for processing, then that may be a thing to have on hand together with a notary stamped copy of you passport with the visa.[/QUOTE]

to late now for you, but maybe next time or for others who might be in the same situation. to WHOVER you hand over your passport, embassy, consulate, police, OMB and they will keep it, ask and demand a piece of paper that they have your passport. and it would be wise to have a color photocopy of your complete passport ( also the empty pages) with you.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

DiscoverLearn (25-03-2019), Hans.KK (25-03-2019), Max1982 (25-03-2019), natlee (25-03-2019)

Thanks guys!
    The only thing the Consulate gave was a small paper called "Pickup Form" with a number on it; some Chinese text and then the words "Please present this form and pay when pick up." then further down the date to pick up (next week). And then at the bottom "Accepted by" followed by the signature of the lady who took my passport. The consulate was full of people, a bit of confusion in the air. I tried to make this visa through a visa agency (in order to avoid queue, language problems etc.) but they told me they are specialized only in Russian clients applying for touristic visa, my case was too complex for them. Quite frankly, if I would be a cop, this piece of paper would mean nothing to me, unfortunately. But I don’t know how a Russian officer would see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    to late now for you, but maybe next time or for others who might be in the same situation. to WHOVER you hand over your passport, embassy, consulate, police, OMB and they will keep it, ask and demand a piece of paper that they have your passport. and it would be wise to have a color photocopy of your complete passport ( also the empty pages) with you.
    Only need notarized copy of the detail page, visa and last entry stamp with migration card. Police don't care about other stamps or empty pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    I travel with trains a lot, I see that they check you ticket against your document and that is all, but I have also seen that the police comes into the train and while we are rolling they check everybody's documents, and those that do not comply to what ever the police are checking have to follow the police through the train, and this line get longer and longer as the police go wagon by wagon, at a station they all go to the police house at that station and the police do their stuff.
    Not in Moscow. Maybe Petersburg since you live there. I never seen a police on the train checking the passports going to/from Moscow. Commuter train, yes, I have seen police as migrants usually sneak onboard without paying.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Armoured (25-03-2019), Hans.KK (25-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Not in Moscow. Maybe Petersburg since you live there. I never seen a police on the train checking the passports going to/from Moscow. Commuter train, yes, I have seen police as migrants usually sneak onboard without paying.
    That's my experience, too, including sapsan to / from st pete, that they only wish to see proof of identity for the ticket purposes. Haven't seen police at all (not counting the security at the train platform, don't even recall whether those are police).

That said, it can always be different, and police anywhere can ask to see identification incl visa. In my own experience (and acquiantances') they've usually been lenient about taking a photocopy with all relevant and explanation that it is with some official body for processing. Some say it helps to have a stamp of some kind, any kind on the photcopies, others insist notarised copies, I've seen both ways and no stamps at all work fine, but also have known it to not work on occasion.

So unfortunately no firm answer.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (25-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    That's my experience, too, including sapsan to / from st pete, that they only wish to see proof of identity for the ticket purposes. Haven't seen police at all (not counting the security at the train platform, don't even recall whether those are police).

That said, it can always be different, and police anywhere can ask to see identification incl visa. In my own experience (and acquiantances') they've usually been lenient about taking a photocopy with all relevant and explanation that it is with some official body for processing. Some say it helps to have a stamp of some kind, any kind on the photcopies, others insist notarised copies, I've seen both ways and no stamps at all work fine, but also have known it to not work on occasion.

So unfortunately no firm answer.
    It all depends on the police mood. I have only been stopped by the police for quick document check on the platform only once in 15 years in Moscow because I was running not to miss the train.

Thanks guy. I read on other site that they recommend to take the birth certificate (in my case the notarized translation of it too) just in case the Проводница needs more proofs.
    I will bring what I have (for now the second passport, this piece of paper from the Consulate and my BC) to the station and post the result here next week. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Max1982 View Post
    Thanks guy. I read on other site that they recommend to take the birth certificate (in my case the notarized translation of it too) just in case the Проводница needs more proofs.
    I will bring what I have (for now the second passport, this piece of paper from the Consulate and my BC) to the station and post the result here next week. Thanks!
    Birth Certificate will not help. I think you'll be okay with your French passport, paper from the consulate and migration card. Don't do anything to get the police's attention like I did by running on the platform.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Max1982 (25-03-2019)

Only need notarized copy of the detail page, visa and last entry stamp with migration card. Police don't care about other stamps or empty pages.
    the law says so. but tell this the - lawers -. ( during the last few years i had 4 different inspectors where i do certain papers, re registration, prolonging a registration. NOT Sacharovo but closer to home. and each and every one asked for different papers.. the latest one asked actually only for these docs that are needed...)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    the law says so. but tell this the - lawers -. ( during the last few years i had 4 different inspectors where i do certain papers, re registration, prolonging a registration. NOT Sacharovo but closer to home. and each and every one asked for different papers.. the latest one asked actually only for these docs that are needed...)
    You're talking about FMS which is more stringent and that's not what OP is asking. Police and FMS don't follow the same rules.

You're talking about FMS which is more stringent and that's not what OP is asking. Police and FMS don't follow the same rules.
    OBM, that is their new name since 2 years already,are one thing. but for my work as Chef i also need other documents. and even these are different in different oblasts or towns where i was working.

Just a small final update: I went to the trip (and already came back to Moscow). It was no problem at all to use my 2nd passport with no Russian visa.
    Проводница just compared the data on my passport with the train ticket (which was saved on my mobile phone as PDF file). Uff.
    Oh, but I must say one thing: I saw the cops checking people at the station. Rather randomly, because I dont know which criteria they used, because IMO they did not seem to be suspicious. It was a group of 3 officers. When I saw them, I said to myself: damn. But they did not show any interest for me. Uff#2
    Peace.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Max1982 For This Useful Post:

Armoured (05-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Max1982 View Post
    Just a small final update: I went to the trip (and already came back to Moscow). It was no problem at all to use my 2nd passport with no Russian visa.
    Проводница just compared the data on my passport with the train ticket (which was saved on my mobile phone as PDF file). Uff.
    Oh, but I must say one thing: I saw the cops checking people at the station. Rather randomly, because I dont know which criteria they used, because IMO they did not seem to be suspicious. It was a group of 3 officers. When I saw them, I said to myself: damn. But they did not show any interest for me. Uff#2
    Peace.
    If you have a copy of the passport or saved photo of your passport in your phone then it'll work on the train domestically only. The police usually focus on the caucasians or asians since most of them are foreigners and many are in the country illegally. If you look Russian then you're fine. I do look like Russian but I was running on the platform and that's why I got stopped. If I walked then they would have ignored me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast