littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Radio Tubes from Sovtek

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Corning, Нью-Йорк
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 946

    Radio Tubes from Sovtek

    Got a box of these tubes at the auciton, along with a couple of bass guitars and some JBL 18" speakers.

    Anyone want to guess at how old are they? The yellow package when I looked it up, referred to Yugoslavia. And the Russia company is called "Sovtek"?

    They are from the 1970's? I have an old tube-tester, but it is from the 1950's.

    Some of the old 5U4G tubes go for $100's of dollars each on ebay. If you come across any, snatch them up! They are prized by musicians for the authentic reproduction of sound in their vintage amplifiers.

    IMG_3930a.JPG

    IMG_3932a.JPG

    IMG_3936a.JPG

    IMG_3939a.JPG
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,635
    Thanked: 3598
    They still make them in Russia and are found in Fender amps among others. There is only two factories making them, on in China the other in Russia.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,340
    Thanked: 3014
    Although the vacuum tube looks more or less similar to my 197x childhood, the abscence of Cyrillic letters looks suspicious. Some sources say, Sovtek uses factory in Saratov, NPO Reflector in Soviet times, now Expopool.
    https://www.audiomania.ru/content/art-1234.html

    Elektronska industrija - this is not Russian, but West Slavic - Polish, Czhech, Slovakian...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (14-03-2019)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,639
    Thanked: 567
    Hope you did not pay to much for these? Because they are not very old, or vintage if you like that term more, as I read the the date code 0908 then it could be 9th week of 2008 or 8th week of 2009.
    They are not rare or anything like that, you can buy them any day for 10-20 USD each.
    Remark the term "Made in Russia" so they are most likely made after 1991.
    Sorry nothing special, just for the audiophiles out there with golden ears that can hear things that is not there and walk on water.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    19,578
    Thanked: 4163
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Although the vacuum tube looks more or less similar to my 197x childhood, the abscence of Cyrillic letters looks suspicious. Some sources say, Sovtek uses factory in Saratov, NPO Reflector in Soviet times, now Expopool.
    https://www.audiomania.ru/content/art-1234.html

    Elektronska industrija - this is not Russian, but West Slavic - Polish, Czhech, Slovakian...
    correct, they are from Saratov ( my mother in law was working there as dispatcher...)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (14-03-2019)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,639
    Thanked: 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    the the date code 0908
    The manufacture is more smart than me, he says: August 2009. Vintage? I do not think so, but is is a valve tube properly handmade by nude virgins with long white beard that is carefully listen to each individual item and make their approval signature on special selected paper, with a goose feather dipped in dragon (golden dragon that is) blood, before they put the thing into its own unique box, it do not get any better.

    Reality is, as I understand it, that there is three manufactures left in the world that make these things today, one in Russia and the rest i China, I will not be surprised if they are all own by the same person.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (14-03-2019), TheInterocitor (14-03-2019)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Corning, Нью-Йорк
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 946
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Hope you did not pay to much for these? Because they are not very old, or vintage if you like that term more, as I read the the date code 0908 then it could be 9th week of 2008 or 8th week of 2009.
    They are not rare or anything like that, you can buy them any day for 10-20 USD each.
    Remark the term "Made in Russia" so they are most likely made after 1991.
    Sorry nothing special, just for the audiophiles out there with golden ears that can hear things that is not there and walk on water.
    Paid $30 for the box, I got about 15-20 of them. There was only one other person bidding against me, or I could have had them for $5.

    The audiophiles and Fender musicians really like the old ones:

    Complete=1&LH_TitleDesc=0
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,340
    Thanked: 3014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    The audiophiles and Fender musicians really like the old ones:
    Yeah, "тёплый" ламповый звук (с) / warm tube sound...
    Cables for hundreds dollah per meter, with arrows.
    And Denon's AKDL1 Ethernet patchcord for $500.
    At least, some more ppl in Saratov have job. Allah o akbar.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

    Hans.KK (15-03-2019), TheInterocitor (16-03-2019), Uncle Wally (15-03-2019)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    19,578
    Thanked: 4163
    i remember to read an article about these tubes. high end, high priced amplifier and record player makers are using them more and more. Fundis swear tube amplifiers give off a much better, warmer and richer sound then the electronics stuff. and SHOULD something burn out, just change a tune, which one can do yourself. and do not have to schlepp to a workshop and have the whole electronics removed and changed... and pay $$$$ through the nose...
    that also might help to identify where they come from. Saratov is the third name http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,639
    Thanked: 567
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i remember to read an article about these tubes. high end, high priced amplifier and record player makers are using them more and more.
    Marketing BS and wankers paradise.

    Fundis swear tube amplifiers give off a much better, warmer and richer sound then the electronics stuff.
    "better, warmer and richer sound" is all just subjective indicators, it do not tell anything objective or measurable, but great for selling hot air lubricated with a lot of snake oil.
    It is true that tubes is more soft (you can even measure this) when they go into distortion mode so to speak, but who listen to sound/music that is turned that much up for the volume that it is distortion that is coming out of you speakers? Ok, party time, all people are drunk, but does quality in music matter at that point in time?

    and SHOULD something burn out, just change a tune, which one can do yourself.
    How to see/hear when they are burned out? no you cant always see/hear that, and next question is what tube to replace? I know that you should just replace the tube without light, right?

    and do not have to schlepp to a workshop and have the whole electronics removed and changed... and pay $$$$ through the nose...
    You did not get the concept? The real value is not the better, warmer and richer sound, no the impression you can give other people that you are one hell of a audiophile personality, and they go green of envy when you can tell about all the money you had spend on your gear, that is where the real value of valves, sorry, tubes is.

    There is times/places where a tube amplifier is the right tool for the job, amplification of single music instruments, guitars is one example, but for amplification of a band playing different instruments, no it is just wired.
    I had had a tube tape reverb machine, wonderful device from a technically point of view, clearly with a unique sound that you could not reproduce with a semiconductor device, but honestly is hum, hiss, wow and flutter something you really want, because it is the side effect of such a thing, or is it the main effect?

    When it comes to amplification you really need to distinguishes between when you need amplification of a single instrument (single sound source) or the whole band so to speak.

    Hallo, 100 watt class A (class A is the best) tube amplifier, with a 1000 watt power-supply (that is what you need) + an UPS so you can change the frequency of the mains (because you can hear that the music sound better at 55 Hz instead of the normal 50 Hz), do not forget the cables, they all need to be pure copper also the cable for your digital connection (the optical too), don't forget to cast your 2005 kg horn speakers in quality concrete (those need to be painted with lead paint, the water based rubbish will just give bad sound)

    Had I been fighting with to many audiophiles (and CB radio wizards) that wanted me to support their strange claims?

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

    Armoured (17-03-2019), FatAndy (15-03-2019), TheInterocitor (16-03-2019)

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Corning, Нью-Йорк
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 946
    I was at the casino. It is a big casino, and there is a lot of sound and noise. There is the jingles and mini-music of slot machines, and the commercial music the casino pipes in from overhead speakers.

    I arrive in the afternoon. I am only playing blackjack. Slot machines are a quick way to lose a lot of money, so I only play blackjack. By midnight I am down $1200, but then I start to win.

    I am listening to the music in the background. Playing blackjack, sitting there, staring at the red-and black cards, the dealer's hand, my hand. Hand after hand after hand. It is trance-like. I tune out the dealer's patter. After a while I start to hear two things.
    The first is two notes together, a 2-note chord, a dyad. It is "do" and "mi" together (from "do-re-mi..."). It is everywhere, throughout the casino, permeating the atmosphere. The perfect dyad, this, it makes you feel comfortable, like everything is just right.

    But I also gradually start to distinguish more background sound, in addition to the everywhere-sounding do-mi dyad. It is 4 AM and I am almost back to even now in my blackjack. I hear a major chard, then in the same key, the augmented chord, or the 6th, or a 9th or even 11th. Not sure which one, but it switches back and forth with the major chord. A few drowsy seconds of one, then a few languid seconds of the other. They alternate. It gives one a sense of anticipation, as if we are on the edge of a great breakthrough, you know, like the music in a movie, when there is about to be a revelation or someone realizes great happiness. There is, throughout the casino, constantly playing, in the very air, this breakthrough mental music, telling you, coaching you, subconsciously, you are about to achieve, you anticipate, you are on the edge of greatness! You are traveling from the normal into a new universe of the unusual, the mysterious and the wonderful!

    I wander through the casino (it is open 24/7 but at 5 AM is nearly deserted), searching, and I think I find where this strange but wondrous dual-chord, pumping slowly back-and-forth, is coming from. Behind several slot machines back to back, I can almost sense it. It is slightly louder there behind this circular arrangement of tall slot machines, but audibly camouflaged, sonically hidden amongst the harmonious cacaphony of ringing slot machines, the background popular music, and the over-arching do-mi dyad.

    I go back to the blackjack table and babble to the dealer about the major-augmented chords and the dyad and they nod their heads and smile...

    I can't tell difference in quality between amplifiers (I have a "tin ear" as they say), but it is interesting how the casino tries to lull you into spending more time and money there...
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    12,635
    Thanked: 3598
    Music/sounds are a very powerful thing.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    19,578
    Thanked: 4163
    I can't tell difference in quality between amplifiers (I have a "tin ear" as they say), but it is interesting how the casino tries to lull you into spending more time and money there...[/QUOTE]


    Casinos, special the ones in the big hotels, will do anything to keep you there. have you ever seen a clock i na casino? a window? free buffets, the cheaper variety or - eat all you can - for 5$. With the slot machines right next to the lobster... they know, once you are out of the building, maybe for a bite to eat, you will not come back any more. because somethign else, or someone else is luring you into their place.
    why do the supermarkets roast chicken in their trade halls or bake fresh bread there.and not at the back? the smell of fresh chickens and freshly baked bread makes people buy,buy, buy...
    why is what you NEED, bread and milk, in a shop always somewhere at the back? why are the cheap or cheaper items always at the bottom of the shelves where one has to bend down?
    things that kids like, even small kids, are always packed that way so THEY can reach them easily.
    why do you think the supermarkets have these huge trolleys? they should you make feel bad, putting there only the few things that you came for in the first place.
    do we really need all these xxxl size packets and cartons? cheaper for sure they are NOT always. and it also have been proven that up to one third is not being used, gets stale before one has a chance to get through it. and is being thrown away.
    finally you have arrived at the check out. and what is there? tons of stuff only the kids like and WAAANT..you are tired and exhausted from all that - no, you can not have this- and - no that is not good for you-. so you give in. and wonder while you wanted only milk and bread, a few cold cuts and a six pack of beer, there is not enough space for all the shopping in the back of your SUV. time to buy a new, even bigger one?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (17-03-2019)

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Corning, Нью-Йорк
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 946
    I can't tell difference in quality between amplifiers (I have a "tin ear" as they say), but it is interesting how the casino tries to lull you into spending more time and money there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Casinos, special the ones in the big hotels, will do anything to keep you there. have you ever seen a clock i na casino? a window? free buffets, the cheaper variety or - eat all you can - for 5$. With the slot machines right next to the lobster... they know, once you are out of the building, maybe for a bite to eat, you will not come back any more. because somethign else, or someone else is luring you into their place.
    why do the supermarkets roast chicken in their trade halls or bake fresh bread there.and not at the back? the smell of fresh chickens and freshly baked bread makes people buy,buy, buy...
    why is what you NEED, bread and milk, in a shop always somewhere at the back? why are the cheap or cheaper items always at the bottom of the shelves where one has to bend down?
    things that kids like, even small kids, are always packed that way so THEY can reach them easily.
    why do you think the supermarkets have these huge trolleys? they should you make feel bad, putting there only the few things that you came for in the first place.
    do we really need all these xxxl size packets and cartons? cheaper for sure they are NOT always. and it also have been proven that up to one third is not being used, gets stale before one has a chance to get through it. and is being thrown away.
    finally you have arrived at the check out. and what is there? tons of stuff only the kids like and WAAANT..you are tired and exhausted from all that - no, you can not have this- and - no that is not good for you-. so you give in. and wonder while you wanted only milk and bread, a few cold cuts and a six pack of beer, there is not enough space for all the shopping in the back of your SUV. time to buy a new, even bigger one?
    не надо bigger SUV, there will online groceries everywhere soon. But I wonder...well of course, the Amazon groceries, home-delivery splash page will feature delicious-looking ice-cream, candy and potato chips... and triumphal march music welcoming you the buying King or Queen...finally when you navigate to the milk page or vegetables, that page will be edged with ads yelling "Buy me! buy me!" for cookies and pretzels and other stuff Google has noticed you buying in past weeks...
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (17-03-2019)

  22. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Corning, Нью-Йорк
    Posts
    2,707
    Thanked: 946
    Yes, here it is, your own cute little car to deliver your internet order of groceries:



    The only problem is, when, for example, cucumbers are $1, then I get the biggest, juiciest one. But the clerk would take the first one he sees, for the order.
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •