littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Colliding Galaxies

Colliding Galaxies

(This will be "Current Affairs" for the next 100,000,000 years ... )

Science/NASAs-Hubble-captures-stunning-image-of-two-colliding-Galaxies

After reading George Gamow's (Georgiy Antonovich Gamov) books (Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland), I thought all galaxies were receding from all other galaxies - similar to blowing up a balloon with spots painted on it. As the balloon gets bigger (the Big Bang theory which (re?)started the ever expanding universe), the spots get more distant from each other. So these galaxies had an argument or something?
    The Snowflakes are even Stupider than We Were!

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I thought all galaxies were receding from all other galaxies - similar to blowing up a balloon with spots painted on it. As the balloon gets bigger (the Big Bang theory which (re?)started the ever expanding universe), the spots get more distant from each other.
    They are all receding in different directions. ).

Or, to use your analogy, there are multiple balloons; on average, they are receding.

(I heard this reply, the first part, somewhere else - don't ask me to explain in more detail ))

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    They are all receding in different directions. ).

Or, to use your analogy, there are multiple balloons; on average, they are receding.

(I heard this reply, the first part, somewhere else - don't ask me to explain in more detail ))
    My analogy was one balloon, or one universe. So you are saying there are multiple balloons - representing multiple universes? And these two colliding galaxies are also two colliding universes?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...axies-collide/

I understand from this that it's more like there are multiple galaxy clusters moving away from each other as universe expands, but for those that are somewhat near each other, gravity can have local effect pulling some of them into each other. And momentum and stuff like that.

So on average they are all receding but in somewhat different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...axies-collide/

I understand from this that it's more like there are multiple galaxy clusters moving away from each other as universe expands, but for those that are somewhat near each other, gravity can have local effect pulling some of them into each other. And momentum and stuff like that.

So on average they are all receding but in somewhat different directions.
    Maybe these galaxies were born that way, like Siamese twins, and are still slowly separating, not colliding...

or maybe galaxies reproduce, like amoebas... let's see if the feminists can force a galaxy to have an abortion.

Yeah, I think it's time to step away from the computer...

I can understand what you're saying, Armoured. I was thinking of galaxies as sole separate entities, unrelated to each other.

But like people, galaxies have families...

Good grief, everything I post here sounds goofy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Armoured (17-03-2019)