littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Restarting our Moscow Photography Club

Restarting our Moscow Photography Club

I've been watching how well the Moscow Expat and Travel Social Group was going as an indication of whether of not to try and restart our photography club. I received this email just now:
    Members of Moscow Expat and Travel Social Group,
    Your Organizer, ***** ******* just stepped down without nominating a replacement. Without an Organizer, Moscow Expat and Travel Social Group will shut down on January 20, 2010.

I was a member of this group and I understand the frustration the director had when there are over 200 native English speaking members, and only 1 or 2 show-up for the monthly get-togethers. Usually at least around 20 would say they would show up and then maybe only 2 would show-up. Its kind of frustrating to make reservations and reserve a room in a restaurant or club based on the number who say they would show up and then do not.

So me and the other member based on this most likely will pass on trying to restart the club. Instead when spring comes, I may make an announcement here about lets meet at so and so place and take a photography walk, I usually do this quite often, I have even written articles about some of the old historic streets here. So most likely I will just make an announcement here about a walk I'm taking and those who want to go can meet me me at so and so place and we'll go. That way its no big deal if nobody shows up since I'm going on this walk any way.

I'm really sorry that the Moscow Expat and Travel Social Group is shutting down, but it looks as if nobody wants to replace the director and I can not blame them after all the trouble the last director had with people saying they would show up and then do not. My decision is not firm and I may restart the photography club or not, but based on how the Moscow Expat and Travel Social Group went, I'm just not really inclined to buy tickets for a tour and then hardly anybody shows up and I lose this money.
    JD

I agree, instead of trying to restart the club, that involves a lot of logistics. It is better to start it as an informal gathering/meeting on the interest of photography. A post with the event can be created and those interested can include their name into the list.

On the other-hand, since it is very cold out in the streets, we could have a gathering to get-to-know each other & exchange/share photography tips.

I propose to start one session to "test" for response & turn out

Get-to-Know Gathering
    Date: 17/1/01 (Sunday)
    Location: Starbucks along Old Arbat Road nearest to HardRock Cafe.
    Time: 11am

Interested in this event? Add your name to this list:
    1. Shannon Heng

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Heng View Post
    I agree, instead of trying to restart the club, that involves a lot of logistics. It is better to start it as an informal gathering/meeting on the interest of photography. A post with the event can be created and those interested can include their name into the list.

On the other-hand, since it is very cold out in the streets, we could have a gathering to get-to-know each other & exchange/share photography tips.

Get-to-Know Gathering

1. Shannon Heng
    this is a great idea! i havent picked up a camera since highschool but i just got one for new years as a present and i am very excited to get back into it :-)

i will try my best to make it on the 17th but im not putting my name down cause i still have family visiting - they just wont leave... ;-)
    We're All Mad Here...

tvadim133 wants to come but in case or let's say I would like to confirm it on the 15th if it is possible.
    not only s.t happens!

I believe I'll be free

Another option we used to use in winter was to hold online meeting by skype since this is how many of use keep in touch with our families back home and use skype in our work. They were pretty lively and fun, especially if you have video setup. I think I'll be free on the 17th.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Heng View Post

Get-to-Know Gathering

1. Shannon Heng
    2. Mirka
    Ok I am putting my name here but.....11am? Come on. Saturady is a party time. I will probably be deadly tired and you'll have to serve me loads of coffee )))

Hello!
    I am a new in this community, but I would like to take a part at this meeting.
    Can I do it?

Quote Originally Posted by sailormoon1 View Post
    Hello!
    Can I do it?
    Some of us have never even met each other, so we will be new at the meeting (some of us) as well! Do not worry and Welcome!
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirka View Post
    Ok I am putting my name here but.....11am? Come on. Saturady is a party time. I will probably be deadly tired and you'll have to serve me loads of coffee )))

The same with me will be probably!
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirka View Post
    haha. Starbucks serves lots of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by sailormoon1 View Post
    Hello!
    Can I do it?
    Sure. if u r interested in photography, u r more than welcome to join.

Get-to-Know Gathering

1. Shannon Heng
    2. Mirka
    3. Sailormoon1
    4. Southernrep
    5. tvadmin133 (tbc)
    6. jeyla (tbc)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    If you like I can make this thread a sticky so it will always be at the top.
    To get ore members together you can make a post in the Local Events section,put up date and time of meeting and so on.Or you can set up your own social group right here on this site...
    http://www.expat.ru/forum/groups/

1. Shannon Heng
    2. Mirka
    3. Sailormoon1
    4. Southernrep
    5. tvadmin133 (tbc)
    6. jeyla (tbc)
    7. andyUK

Do we bring our cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by andyUK View Post
    Do we bring our cameras?
    if you want to

Can I join you, lady and gentlemen? My daughter is also inerested in phtography but just started. If nobody againist, please add us.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast