littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: London to Tokio by train? Maybe sooner then one would think

London to Tokio by train? Maybe sooner then one would think

http://siberiantimes.com/business/in...erian-railway/

only - problem- it seems to me are the difference in gauges on the Russian and EU trains. so far, undercarriages are being changed in Brest. Goes quite fast with a passenger train. and when there are not to many. But what about when thre will be trains with 500 containers and 100 carriages? put one train next to the other and just - push- the containers from one trai nto the other? or make one line from Tokio to London with the - narrow gauge- line? or the other way round. one Russian gauge line from one end to the other?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

BigBear (11-01-2019), FatAndy (11-01-2019)

According to this article (https://www.smartrailworld.com/new-m...lin-train-line) automatic gauge changes are possible and in use already for some passenger trains. I think, as you say, that the China-Russia-Europe freight trains "simply" move the containers from one train to another: terminals in Kazakhstan and another in Belarus handle the logistics.
    Interestingly, other articles I've read suggest that there is a secondary problem, and that is that containers arrive from China full and most go back empty because of the imbalance of trade. Many empty containers just get put onto ships to go back.
    Then there are cost issues. The train is quicker than a boat but also more expensive (on a cost per container basis) and the train cannot carry as many containers. A plane is even quicker, carries even less and also costs even more. So the calculations to decide what goods go by rail and what goes by sea or air can be complicated.
    As for passengers, even at 400 kph it is going to be a long journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    one Russian gauge line from one end to the other?
    Wanna see T-80s trashed by pigeons on Trafalgar Square?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Wanna see T-80s trashed by pigeons on Trafalgar Square?
    Via the Mukran Ferry?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Via the Mukran Ferry?
    Even via IL-76, if BMD-2 is enough:
    https://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/cont...jm.htm/player/

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    The train is quicker than a boat but also more expensive (on a cost per container basis)
    It depends... for example, from Kunshan to Moscow 40' by Chinese railways+RZhD costs 5-7% less and arrives 15 days faster than by sea. Maybe it's short term promo price, but...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    According to this article (https://www.smartrailworld.com/new-m...lin-train-line) automatic gauge changes are possible and in use already for some passenger trains. I think, as you say, that the China-Russia-Europe freight trains "simply" move the containers from one train to another: terminals in Kazakhstan and another in Belarus handle the logistics.
    Interestingly, other articles I've read suggest that there is a secondary problem, and that is that containers arrive from China full and most go back empty because of the imbalance of trade. Many empty containers just get put onto ships to go back.
    Then there are cost issues. The train is quicker than a boat but also more expensive (on a cost per container basis) and the train cannot carry as many containers. A plane is even quicker, carries even less and also costs even more. So the calculations to decide what goods go by rail and what goes by sea or air can be complicated.
    As for passengers, even at 400 kph it is going to be a long journey!
    that is true. but there are things were time might be a factor. and airfreight is too expensive. suppose they will find ways and means to bring more and more containers onto rail. and than the price will also drop.it is not a thing for one month or a year. the Chinese think long term, very long term. maybe it is time for others also start thinking like that?

Fesco (for example) ships 40 footers from all over Asia to Vladivostok and from there to Moscow by rail. The Vladivostok - Moscow leg is 11 days shipping time by rail and well established. It's a fast way to get containers to and from Asia.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (11-01-2019)

only - problem- it seems to me are the difference in gauges on the Russian and EU trains. so far, undercarriages are being changed in Brest. Goes quite fast with a passenger train. and when there are not to many. But what about when thre will be trains with 500 containers and 100 carriages? put one train next to the other and just - push- the containers from one trai nto the other? or make one line from Tokio to London with the - narrow gauge- line? or the other way round. one Russian gauge line from one end to the other?
    Trust me Ben, this has been talked about for years, it is not going to happen, I dont even think Moscow Kazan will happen, Russia does not have one dedicated High Speed Rail Line, there is not a market for High Speed Rail in Russia, Russians cannot afford it

https://www.railway-technology.com/f...gh-speed-rail/

The only problem is Russia does not have the money and there is no business case. China built a high Speed line to the Russian Border, it stops there, Russia said to China, "well if you want it to go to Vladivostok, you build it"

A Russian talking sense

https://www.theepochtimes.com/russia...l_2753913.html

[QUOTE=Alan65;1485523]Trust me Ben, this has been talked about for years, it is not going to happen, I dont even think Moscow Kazan will happen, Russia does not have one dedicated High Speed Rail Line, there is not a market for High Speed Rail in Russia, Russians cannot afford it

we are talking about trains with containers. this is a low tech, (fairly) low-speed train. no passenger hi-speed trains.