English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Director and Wife to get divorce

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    No , it's funny how we can **** over the other the ones we we claim to love.
    Or ...it is funny how the ones that say they claim to love us try to **** us over by being ill informed.

This is a real world example, my wife never tried to **** me over, yes lazy, yes a bit above herself but more importantly, "friends" that gave bad advice, in the UK we call it "Barrack room lawyers"

Bad advice costs more than good advice, the only people that win are lawyers.

My wifes friends simply "blew smoke up her arse", made her think she could get 50% but when the facts and law came out, the friends ran for the hills after stirring up loads of shit, the moral of this story, never trust people that think they know it all, they do not, look for an amicable solution or reconciliation.

Am I the only one who can see that breaking with someone you've shared your whole life with is not worth any amount of money, not even the whole world, that you are certainly going to die, most likely in less than a quarter century, and that divorce makes that more likely? That nothing matters a hoot if we can't be faithful at all?
    I had a book about marriage and divorce translated into Russian; I have encountered the most amazing levels of self-deception over divorce.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

natlee (11-01-2019), TheInterocitor (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan65 View Post
    No, not all females are money grabbers but some get given very bad advice from "friends".
    Two people (or countries) can usually get along until a 3rd person, or country, starts "helping" one of the first two.
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Lawyers are drooling all over this case!
    Financial terrorists!
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

natlee (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    When I was married, the rule was neither one of us would take advice from 3rd parties - friends or relatives. Two people (or countries) can usually get along until a 3rd person, or country, starts "helping" one of the first two.
    You have hit the nail on the head, no 3rd Parties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan65 For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (11-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    Am I the only one who can see that breaking with someone you've shared your whole life with is not worth any amount of money, not even the whole world, that you are certainly going to die, most likely in less than a quarter century, and that divorce makes that more likely? That nothing matters a hoot if we can't be faithful at all?
    I had a book about marriage and divorce translated into Russian; I have encountered the most amazing levels of self-deception over divorce.
    Rus, I think we are all speaking the same language, work it out do not get 3rd parties involved

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan65 For This Useful Post:

natlee (11-01-2019)

Rus, I think we are all speaking the same language, work it out do not get 3rd parties involved
    What on earth do you mean by "speaking the same language"? And what "3rd parties"?

My context on divorce is complex, Natlee, it's not simple judgement of people who have gotten divorced - we are all victims, but the truth is we - or our parents - knew not what we/they did, because we didn't know what we were doing when we got married in the first place. Nevertheless, divorce is ultimately a bad thing, even if no one wants to admit that basic truth. As to "why it is bad" - you have to be at least slightly curious - if you are not, if you think I am just a kook spouting off a crazy opinion, then there is not much I could say. Our children have paid or will pay a tremendous price for our own will to self-deception, in any event. And it comes down to our unwillingness to love when it is hard to love. It's easy to love someone who is being nice to you. That's no virtue at all.

No idea about the USA, but i the UK this is how it typically works:

If I owned a property or had other assets before i got married, they would be 100% mine, there can be no claim to them.

If I were to get married, sell the existing property, buy a new one, this could then be deemed the marital home of which a percentage could be claimed, however it is not simply 50%. It works on a sliding scale of how long married and the contribution to marriage e.g. if married for only one year, this amount would be 10% from the date of purchasing the new property, that is when the clock starts ticking, it only becomes 50% (the maximum) after 5 years.

It then gets slightly more complicated, the above example is if I were to sell and we were able to buy outright e.g. mortgage free, if we had to keep an existing mortgage going or increase the mortgage, then the equation gets a bit more complex as it would have to consider what the other party contributed to the ongoing mortgage payments.

It is amazing how many people give bad advice, mainly friends but I include some solicitors in this statement.
    In the states what you owned prior to marriage is yours. Any wealth accumulated during marriage is a 50/50 split. If your wife dose not have a job (stay at home wife) You will have to pay alimony. 2 to 5 years. If you have children. You pay 20% for first child 10% for each one after up to the point of 65% of gross income. You don't pay you go to jail. Also, if married over 10 years she can get 50% of your pension. Furthermore, the ex will get the money tax free. While the man has to pay taxes on her money. Men get a real raw deal here when divorced. Each state law differs a little. But you get the idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12