littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent questions regarding Russian citizenship process and renouncing own citizenship

Urgent questions regarding Russian citizenship process and renouncing own citizenship

I have a very important and urgent question along with a lot of stress due to the situation. I hope somebody can please give me some advice.

I'm married to a Russian man and have received my permanent residency the end of last year. I'm going to soon attempt the citizenship exam.
    I'm quite confused about the issue of possibly being asked to give up my dual UK/US citizenship during the Russian citizenship process. I have
    a medical condition and fly back to the UK yearly to receive treatment, take care of things there and refresh my soul. I'm going to need very important
    surgery in the future. Also, my mother lives abroad and she has a lot of health problems, plus she's alone. I can't take the risk of having restrictions
    on me trying to get a visa in an emergency situation back to my own countries for either her or I should I lose my dual citizenships.

Of course, I worry just the same that without Russian citizenship, when I have my surgery in UK, I might be out of Russia too long and lose everything that I have worked for to be with my husband. I also have to check in every December with the migration office, too, just before Christmas, so can never spend it with my family abroad outside of Russia. That's when I was given my permanent residency last year. That could be resolved by Russian citizenship, too, and free me up.

Is this true that I must submit a letter renouncing my citizenships before or during the Russian citizenship process? Do the Russian authorities send
    anything to my embassies that are checked? If I need to send the letter myself, do they check what goes into the envelope at the post office? I know
    it's more difficult to lose US citizenship because you have to go before embassy staff plus submit tax returns, and pay money, I believe. However, the UK
    one really worries me as I believe you can renounce in written form. If someone here knows different, please let me know. I absolutely cannot lose my
    UK citizenship.....or it would be a complete distaster and like I said, I rely on the medical treatment I receive there for my specific condition.

My husband is really pushing me to get on with it, but I'm scared about what could happen.

Does anyone know that once you do apply for Russian citizenship, can you still travel during the process? They don't hold our passports, right? I was able
    to travel during the temporary and permanent residency processes. This could be different, though, I don't know.

I would be so grateful to anyone with any insight and/or experience in this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to seagirl333 For This Useful Post:

Judge (26-11-2018)

I'm American applying for Russian citizenship. I believe you can get your UK citizen back easily after you renounce it. Best to check with your UK embassy about this and they'll give you some tips how to keep your UK citizenship. I already gotten advices from American embassy and I will do what they suggested by sending a registered postcard to US embassy. Russia Post don't check the letter or contents in the envelope. Americans, once they renounce US citizenship, it's nearly impossible to get it back so I'm not going to do it officially as its more difficult.

While your citizenship application is being processed, you will still need to follow your Russian residence permit rules just in case if your citizenship application is denied which is unlikely since you are married to a Russian citizen.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Judge (26-11-2018), seagirl333 (26-11-2018)

Thank you very much for your reply, Remington.

May I ask what the registered postcard is for and what was their advice for you as I will likely need to do the same for the US side of my citizenship. My UK citizenship is
    another matter it seems. My main home throughout life has been in UK, so that would be more devastating to lose.

If the Russian post office doesn't check, what keeps someone from posting a blank page to their embassy or Christmas greetings?

Please, feel free to PM me if it would be better.... Thank you, again.

Actually, US embassy said to mail anything even a renunciation letter or a Christmas post card. They will not do anything since it's not proper US renunciation procedures and renunciation letter will be discarded. You will have to fill out the renunciation application, pay $2,350 fee, make sure last 5 years taxes are squared up, and swear in front of US consul officer, and wait average time of 15 months or longer for US Dept of State to approve the renunciation even it's not guaranteed. I'm not going to bother with this and FMS will not try to follow up on this within a year as they know renouncing US citizenship isn't simple as writing a letter.

Russia Post will give you the receipt for the registered mail which is more like a tracking number to confirm the 'letter' was sent to US embassy. They will not check, inspect the contents in the envelope or report anything to FMS. It's not their job and it's illegal as well.

Is your Russian residence permit tied to your UK or US passport? It will be much easier if it was tied to your US passport as FMS is already familiar with cumbersome US renunciation procedures.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Judge (26-11-2018)

Seagirl: I applied for and got Russian citizen. The Russian migration office requires a copy of a standard notarized document (in Russian) showing that you are renouncing your UK citizenship when you apply for citizenship. They also ask for a receipt from the post office showing a letter was sent to your embassy. This receipt has to show the spelling in Russian of your name that matches the spelling on your other documents.

You can send a picture of Donald Duck to the UK Embassy or nothing at all, it makes no difference. The notarized document in Russian will remain with the migration office who has no right to go to your Embassy and get involved with your status as a UK citizen.

I sent an empty envelope to my Embassy. Suggest you do the same thing.

Dual citizenship is allowed in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship. It is also allowed in Russia.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

JonLDS (27-11-2018), Judge (26-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by seagirl333 View Post
    I also have to check in every December with the migration office, too, just before Christmas, so can never spend it with my family abroad outside of Russia. That's when I was given my permanent residency last year. That could be resolved by Russian citizenship, too, and free me up.
    You have two months to do your "uvedomlenie" (it's annual, from 12 to 14 months after receipt of residency), so you could always go back for Xmas and do it later.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RooRu For This Useful Post:

Judge (26-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by RooRu View Post
    You have two months to do your "uvedomlenie" (it's annual, from 12 to 14 months after receipt of residency), so you could always go back for Xmas and do it later.
    I've read that many times on here, that you have a 2 month window from the date. On my first ever visit to fms for this "uvedomlenie", I went a day before the year expired, to be on the safe side.I asked if I had a window of 2 months, the guy(head of my local fms) said, no, you came just on time, if you came a day later, we would have cancelled your residency.So, from then on, I've always done it a few days before the year ends.

If you or anyone else can share a link which says about this rule , please share, would be useful to print and to show in the future .

Most probably this is a case of fms's interpreting the rules differently.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

RooRu (27-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

I was given a piece of paper (can't find it now) when I got my RVP in 2013 that said I was signing this to acknowledge that I had to "uvedomit" from 12 to 14 months after receipt. I have now been several times and always after the receipt date, sometimes a couple of weeks after. I've never had a problem and when I renewed my PRP this year they didn't say anything at Sakharovo either (even though my uvedomlenie wasn't in the system and I had to go back to the local MVD to get them to input it, several months after I went there and got a signature and stamp on my part of the form!).

Here's article 8, point 6 of the Law on Foreigners (О правовом положении иностранных граждан в РФ от 25.06.2002 года № 115-ФЗ). Not a word about deadlines:

6. Постоянно проживающий в Российской Федерации иностранный гражданин обязан ежегодно уведомлять о подтверждении своего проживания в Российской Федерации территориальный орган федерального органа исполнительной власти в сфере миграции по месту получения данным иностранным гражданином вида на жительство. Подача данным иностранным гражданином уведомления осуществляется им лично или в установленном порядке почтовым отправлением при предъявлении документа, удостоверяющего личность данного иностранного гражданина и признаваемого Российской Федерацией в этом качестве, а также его вида на жительство либо путем направления уведомления в форме электронного документа с использованием информационно-телекоммуникационных сетей общего пользования, в том числе сети Интернет, включая единый портал государственных и муниципальных услуг. Требование предоставления иностранным гражданином иных документов или других сведений, помимо подлежащих внесению в указанное уведомление, не допускается. В указанное уведомление вносятся следующие сведения:
    1) имя данного иностранного гражданина, постоянно проживающего в Российской Федерации, включающее его фамилию, собственно имя, отчество (последнее - при наличии);
    2) место проживания данного иностранного гражданина;
    3) место (места) работы и продолжительность осуществления данным иностранным гражданином трудовой деятельности в течение очередного года со дня получения им вида на жительство;
    4) период нахождения данного иностранного гражданина за пределами Российской Федерации в течение очередного года со дня получения им вида на жительство (с указанием государств выезда);
    5) размер и источники дохода данного иностранного гражданина за очередной год со дня получения им вида на жительство.

However, this from the Moscow MVD site made me nervous, as it says you have according to "norms" you have to do the uvedomlenie no later than one year after receipt: https://77.мвд.рф/ms/вопрос-ответ/item/9294060/

Might have to get myself along there a bit earlier this year!

However, if the Moscow MVD site is correct, Seagirl can do her uvdomlenie earlier and go home for Xmas. As we all know, this often depends on the local MVD approach to things, but it might work.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RooRu For This Useful Post:

Judge (27-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

And here is the St. Pete MVD site's answer to the same question where they state that you can submit it at any point during the following year:
    "Уведомление о проживании по виду на жительство подается по истечению года с момента фактического получения ВНЖ (дата выдачи ВНЖ подтверждается распиской) до конца текущего календарного года, то есть до 31 декабря."
    http://ufms.spb.ru/uvedomlenie-o-pro...na-zhitelstvo/
    Guess it varies from place to place.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanga For This Useful Post:

Judge (27-11-2018), RooRu (27-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    And here is the St. Pete MVD site's answer to the same question where they state that you can submit it at any point during the following year:
    "Уведомление о проживании по виду на жительство подается по истечению года с момента фактического получения ВНЖ (дата выдачи ВНЖ подтверждается распиской) до конца текущего календарного года, то есть до 31 декабря."
    http://ufms.spb.ru/uvedomlenie-o-pro...na-zhitelstvo/
    Guess it varies from place to place.

Yes, from your link above, translated.

Legislation establishes the form and rules for filing a notice. According to the law, a notice of residence under the RWP must be filed no later than within 2 months from the day of the end of the next year of residence under the RWP.
    For Moscow, we can show them the St Petes site, and tell them to upgrade their site, might not go down that well!!!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

RooRu (27-11-2018), seagirl333 (30-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    Actually,

Is your Russian residence permit tied to your UK or US passport? It will be much easier if it was tied to your US passport as FMS is already familiar with cumbersome US renunciation procedures.
    Firstly, thank you so very much for your replies! I could hug you! I've been so stressed about this, even losing sleep literally. What you say is good news and a relief. Something that I had seen somewhere previously made it sound like the Russian authorities actually have me sign a document and send a copy to my embassies along with me having to do it also. Then apparently, they follow it up by sending confirmation of my new Russian citizenship to my embassies so that I may lose my native citizenships. What you say cancels all that out. Thank God for that! Thank you so much, Remington!

To answer your question....My Russian residence permit is tied to my UK passport, unfortunately. So, I guess holiday greetings or something like that might be in order.

I'm wondering if even though my UK passport is the one tied to my residence permit, won't they still require me to send a renunciation letter to both embassies? Well, the US side seems safe either way.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    You can send a picture of Donald Duck to the UK Embassy or nothing at all, it makes no difference. The notarized document in Russian will remain with the migration office who has no right to go to your Embassy and get involved with your status as a UK citizen.

Dual citizenship is allowed in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship. It is also allowed in Russia.

Dual citizenship is allowed in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/dual-citizenship. It is also allowed in Russia.[/QUOTE]

Xt-si, so the Russian authorities didn't send any type of confirmation to the embassy confirming your new Russian citizenship after you received it, either?

I was under the impression previously that we were required to show proof of loss of native citizenship after one year. It sounds like from what you're saying
    and Remington that it wouldn't be required...well, or even possible...because we're not really wishing to actually lose it by sending in the renunciation form to begin
    with. So, if they've never asked you for proof, that's really good...excellent! I'm so happy and relieved, if that's the case! It's an especially huge relief that
    the Russian authorities won't be sending anything to my embassies at all.

I wonder why, if both UK and Russia are allowed dual citizenship, why do they want us to send the form to begin with? It's not logical....

Many thanks, Xt-si for your help and suggestion! Very much appreciated!

but you also think a little bit further. what is the procedure when you want a new UK passport? when the old one expires? if you still want one. what questions will be asked there and then? (I have seen the Austrian application form for my new passport and there they ask - did you ever renounce your Austrian citizenship. Or do you have a second citizenship?) my,now new, passport expires in 9 years, still some time to think about things. maybe go straight to Austria and do my passport there?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by RooRu View Post
    RooRu....thank you very much for your reply. So, we actually have 12-14 months after receipt of residency?! I didn't know! They gave the impression that I had to check in one year from the date of first receiving my residency. I have already bought my ticket to return as I was afraid of missing check-in, plus the 6 month limit. So, if we have between 12-14 months after first receipt of residency, does this also apply to the second year of residency? Is it always 12-14 months from the date? I'm going to go for citizenship now, but just in case of failure, so I'm prepared next year. I hope to be a citizen by that time......

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    I've read that many times on here, that you have a 2 month window from the date. On my first ever visit to fms for this "uvedomlenie", I went a day before the year expired, to be on the safe side.I asked if I had a window of 2 months, the guy(head of my local fms) said, no, you came just on time, if you came a day later, we would have cancelled your residency.So, from then on, I've always done it a few days before the year ends.

If you or anyone else can share a link which says about this rule , please share, would be useful to print and to show in the future .

Most probably this is a case of fms's interpreting the rules differently.
    Hmmmmm....RooRu said that it's between 12-14 months and I can see some information that he posted below about this. On the other hand, I was given the impression
    by the local office there that I had to return within the 1 year period. I see what your experience is with them also telling you that you have the same 1 year period.
    I agree with you, it must be down to local interpretation. RooRu said he's never had a problem. Maybe it's just we must get the people working in our local offices to double
    check this for us. Of course, when we return there could be another person there, too. I wish they would remain consistent in all migration offices across Russia. I already bought
    my ticket back for fear of being late, plus the 6 month rule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast