littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: do YOU remember any of these buildings or places?

do YOU remember any of these buildings or places?

https://themoscowtimes.com/photogall...-and-now-59225

the article is old but still interesting. ( i am long enough here, to remember even the infamous swimming pool... in winter always a big - steam- cloud was hanging over there....)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Judge (09-11-2018), rusmeister (09-11-2018), TolkoRaz (09-11-2018), Uncle Wally (09-11-2018)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Some I remember, some I don't. It's interesting to note that in many cases they didn't build more, just left an empty space for people to enjoy , and when they did build, it's benefited the area.

VDNKh is another, the metro walk to the exhibtion place used to be a jungle of kiosks selling all that's possibe, now just a clear walk.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (09-11-2018), FatAndy (09-11-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Some I remember, some I don't. It's interesting to note that in many cases they didn't build more, just left an empty space for people to enjoy , and when they did build, it's benefited the area.

VDNKh is another, the metro walk to the exhibition place used to be a jungle of kiosks selling all that's possible, now just a clear walk.

the only thing that I am really missing from the VDNH is that -Yougoslav- grill. He had the best Shashlik, sausages and this huge - pleskavitska- in all world. lots of pickled vegetables and the likes. and everythign was done by the style of Yougoslavia of old. Not adjusted to -local- taste. therefore no dill,no majo,no ketchup. But all sauces were done by the owners taste and knowledge. And you never could get a space there to sit o na sunny day. He also opened then a second palce at the Sokolniki park. But it was not run and supervised by him, so it went dow nthe drai nquickly and became an -ordinary- shashlik space.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    https://themoscowtimes.com/photogall...-and-now-59225

the article is old but still interesting. ( i am long enough here, to remember even the infamous swimming pool... in winter always a big - steam- cloud was hanging over there....)
    Yes, all of them.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (10-11-2018), TolkoRaz (09-11-2018)

The famous — or infamous — Intourist Hotel in 1995
    It wasn't that bad... but it did start showing its age early 00's.... once in the 90's I was in the toilets on the ground floor peeing And somebody came in, grabbed my wallet (left on the ledge) and ran out again! I couldn't believe it.... anyhow towards the end it has the ubiquitous travel agent on the ground floor and cafe and stuff... wasn't at all bad.

Here is a funny story.

i turned up (at the Intourist) unannounced back in '95 and asked for a room.... they said they were FULL!! (This was hard to believe), if I recall standard rate at that time was $50/night.

So I grabbed my rucksack and walked around the corner and entered the National and asked if I could have a room at $50 a night.... they said yes!!

Imagine that... a week in the National at $50 a night!

The good old days....

PS. Yes I know the situation Moscow was in then... but I was young (25) and naive.... and in the scheme of things, was nearly the best hotel in Moscow at the time..... (still is in my opinion!)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan100 For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (04-02-2019), TolkoRaz (04-02-2019)

The good old days....

could have been a slow period? and few bookings? and maybe because you are a foreigner they just tried to make you happy and get some GOOD feedback,comments or the likes?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by alan100 View Post
    It wasn't that bad... but it did start showing its age early 00's.... once in the 90's I was in the toilets on the ground floor peeing And somebody came in, grabbed my wallet (left on the ledge) and ran out again! I couldn't believe it.... anyhow towards the end it has the ubiquitous travel agent on the ground floor and cafe and stuff... wasn't at all bad.

Here is a funny story.

i turned up (at the Intourist) unannounced back in '95 and asked for a room.... they said they were FULL!! (This was hard to believe), if I recall standard rate at that time was $50/night.

So I grabbed my rucksack and walked around the corner and entered the National and asked if I could have a room at $50 a night.... they said yes!!

Imagine that... a week in the National at $50 a night!

The good old days....

PS. Yes I know the situation Moscow was in then... but I was young (25) and naive.... and in the scheme of things, was nearly the best hotel in Moscow at the time..... (still is in my opinion!)
    Can you remember the Dezhernaya's name?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    The good old days....

could have been a slow period? and few bookings? and maybe because you are a foreigner they just tried to make you happy and get some GOOD feedback,comments or the likes?
    I do not recall any reviews then? No internet full of fake news etc............
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    I do not recall any reviews then? No internet full of fake news etc............

in hospitality, mouth to mouth advertising, good or bad, is still the best. -we- all know by now, many of these comments in the media are either bought or paid for comments. or comments from people who are in some way involved but can not easily be traced back. or maybe for me it is easy, before i book anything there is always some one who knows someone who is in the know and will tell the truth?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (04-02-2019)

Here is another funny "National Hotel" Story....

Back in 1998 my black friend (from US) was visiting Moscow... he was quite rich and wore Armani suits and similar... he looked like a diplomat a bit.... anyway he sometimes went for a walk on Tverskaya starting at Oxhotny Ryad and going up to the top... well.. he was almost ALWAYS stopped by the old Militisia who asked for his passport.... which he never carried (he kept in the Hotels safe)...

So instead of his passport he showed his "National" Room Pass... and immediately they would salute him and let him go.... )))))

I told him... one day that wasn't gonna work!

Can you remember the Dezhernaya's name?
    Sorry was so long ago now... anyway the lights were always so dim it was hard to see anybody .... I watched "Three days in Moscow" Три (дня в Москве) and even then (1974) intourist looked the same (poor lighting)!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan100 For This Useful Post:

Well, I'm local and don't wear Armani, but neither militsia, nor police asked my passport in the street during 35 years in Moscow. Once upon a time back in 199x on the entrance into Krasnopresnenskaya or Barrikadnaya metro (I always mix them, radial purple line) militsia asked me to serve as a witness when they were "packing" one absolutely drunken guy who tried to enter the station. The only time was when they asked for a passport to insert my data into handwritten protocol on detention of the guy.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Well, I'm local and don't wear Armani, but neither militsia, nor police asked my passport in the street during 35 years in Moscow. Once upon a time back in 199x on the entrance into Krasnopresnenskaya or Barrikadnaya metro (I always mix them, radial purple line) militsia asked me to serve as a witness when they were "packing" one absolutely drunken guy who tried to enter the station. The only time was when they asked for a passport to insert my data into handwritten protocol on detention of the guy.
    suppose than you are also not a - person of color- to be political correct...
    on the other hand, also I was asked only once for an ID. But that was the army, as there was a drive on and they were taking ID from every male that more or less looked army age. ( now you can guess how long ago that was) I showed them my Austrian passport and told them I was working at the -diplomatic academy-. our restaurant was on their grounds. But i did not tell them that i am -just a Chef- and the because the whole passport was German langauge, the guy had not found my visa yet. but it also did not say Chef. those were the good old times.... The guy saluted, said in perfect German -entschuldigen sie bitte- and off i went...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (04-02-2019)

Was asked late 90's early 00's sometimes.... may be twice a year or so, my Pakistani friend was asked nearly every day... so ben is right about the colour bit! I think MUCH better now... very rarely stopped (unless look Caucasian my Chechnyan friend told me).

Once knew girl who was very blonde, tall and beautiful... I asked her whether she had ever been stopped by the Militsia... she gave me a puzzled look and said "I am pure Russian they will never stop me" and she believed it!
    Last edited by alan100; 04-02-2019 at 20:24.