English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Shipping Suitcases to Russia

Shipping Suitcases to Russia

I would like to ship to suitcases to ST Petes, it is only personal belongings, clothes etc, does any only know of a cheap and reliable shipping company, there is no rush to get the stuff there just trying to weigh up options, this or a flight and excess baggage etc

Thanks

Alan65

Start measuring up how much size and weight. Think about if you can divide it into different sizes and weight to benefit most from size and weight limit at different shippers.
    Then you looked at Royal mail, plain ordinary parcel, after that ask DHL/UPS/etc.
    You may end up with the fact that it is cheaper to bring it as excess baggage when you take the plane anyway.
    If you will send it as cargo things starts to be tricky, then there is some customs work that need to be done, and it must be done right the first time other wise they just return your stuff and the money you paid is lost.

I would just take as excess luggage. It is around 50 euro per bag of 20 kg (approx). Otherwise, you will have to spend tons of time on paperwork, it will take longer, and you might even have to pay import taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Start measuring up how much size and weight. Think about if you can divide it into different sizes and weight to benefit most from size and weight limit at different shippers.
    Then you looked at Royal mail, plain ordinary parcel, after that ask DHL/UPS/etc.
    You may end up with the fact that it is cheaper to bring it as excess baggage when you take the plane anyway.
    If you will send it as cargo things starts to be tricky, then there is some customs work that need to be done, and it must be done right the first time other wise they just return your stuff and the money you paid is lost.
    Thanks, I was thinking the same, best just excess luggage. it is only two suitcases but had to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Alan65 View Post
    I would like to ship to suitcases to ST Petes, it is only personal belongings, clothes etc, does any only know of a cheap and reliable shipping company, there is no rush to get the stuff there just trying to weigh up options, this or a flight and excess baggage etc

Thanks

Alan65
    easiest way to do. divide it into 10 kg parcels and send it with the post office. within, i think, 6 months of arrival in Russia, and doing it for the first time, you do not need to pay any taxes or other duties. most probably you might have to go to the Central Postoffice in St.Petes. When i sent my things from South Africa this way, i could go to my local postoffice around the corner and just collect my parcels. No hassles, no fuss. though i could see, and was told, customs opened them at the main postoffice. found nothing, put tape around and sent them on.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (27-10-2018)