English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: When do you switch over to winter tyres?

When do you switch over to winter tyres?

So, this is my first time actually buying winter tires (i only put tyres in the title, I can't keep it up the entire post). I have lived in snowy places before, but I was able to get by with a 4x4 and some deep all-terrain tires. However, last year before I had my car, the entire city of Saratov was covered with ice throughout the winter. So, now that I have a car, I am thinking about winter tires.

When do you all usually switch over from summer to winter tires? I am probably going to get some studded tires because of how icy it was here last winter, so I am a bit cautious about switching over. However, it's looking like the first week of November is going to be dropping down to freezing temperatures at night and only be around 4 in the day. So, it will only take a little rain or something for it get bad quickly. Should I just switch over at the end of next week...or would you guys wait it out a little longer?

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    I live about 200km north of Moscow,

Changed over last week, got caught out twice before, won't be a third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonners View Post
    the first week of November is going to be dropping down to freezing temperatures at night and only be around 4 in the day. So, it will only take a little rain or something for it get bad quickly. Should I just switch over at the end of next week...or would you guys wait it out a little longer?
    If you don't wanna celebrate "Tinsmith Day" or stay in a queue at Шиномонтаж garage, change tyres at least a couple of days before the minus temperatures come, tracing by Gismeteo.ru or http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=RSXX0414
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    @Andy "queue"
    Half a day is wasted if you get the timing wrong.

A good set of tyres to buy is Nokian, Finnish , they know a thing or two about winter driving.

When the temperature outside is below 7 degree Celsius more or less around the clock, or the time you plan to drive, if it is warmer you breaking/stopping distance will be significant increased.

wonder where my reply disappeared to? nothing unlawful, rude, crude or anything else I did reply. Just a few facts. And this is not the first time. The -you are not logged in....- still carries on.it sucks!!!!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Thanks for the push towards switching over my tires sooner rather than later. I had to drive all over the city two days in a row because absolutely nobody had the wheels I needed for my car. I finally found some and had my tires installed the night before our first snow and many nights of freezing temperatures this week.