English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: 1963 Digi-Comp 1 Computer

1963 Digi-Comp 1 Computer

Only paid $1 for this at the auction. Nobody knew what it was.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332838718101

"Edmund Scientific", located in New Jersey, was a company that sold science-related (physics, chemistry, electronics, and lots of optics) experimental and research equipment and supplies. You could buy this "toy" computer, which probably calculated up to 127, and educate yourself on how computers worked.

IMG_0847.JPG
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (24-10-2018), Hans.KK (24-10-2018), Uncle Wally (24-10-2018)

[QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1483896]Only paid $1 for this at the auction. Nobody knew what it was.

"Edmund Scientific", located in New Jersey, was a company that sold science-related (physics, chemistry, electronics, and lots of optics) experimental and research equipment and supplies. You could buy this "toy" computer, which probably calculated up to 127, and educate yourself on how computers worked.

Did you get it really that cheap? the price there was 160 $?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Nice find!
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Ohh Great Find TheInterocitor

is edmund scientific no longer around? im pretty sure i remember getting their catalogues when i was younger.....

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    is edmund scientific no longer around? im pretty sure i remember getting their catalogues when i was younger.....
    Still around, but not the same as I remember; I ordered stuff from them back in the day...
    https://www.edmundscientific.com/
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (24-10-2018)

[QUOTE=Benedikt;1483902]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Only paid $1 for this at the auction. Nobody knew what it was.

Did you get it really that cheap? the price there was 160 $?
    I paid $1 for it at the local auction, and then sold it on Ebay for $160. I had it listed on Ebay for less than a day before someone snatched it up.

You can find all sorts of cool stuff at the auction, and cheap!

I wish they had auctions in Russia.

Wow, the 1955 ES catalog sold for $86:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-195...p2047675.l2557

A couple of pages from the 1974 catalog (they were visualizing solar-powered homes 44 years ago):

edmund.jpg

edmund2.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

bydand (25-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post

I wish they had auctions in Russia.
    There used to be an ebay knock-off- molotok.ru (hammer). I think Ebay was even connected somehow. There isn't a second-hand market here because most people have super cheap crap. I was just talking to a guy from the provinces who was complaining about how expensive clothes are here in Moscow and I was like, well, H&M has some pretty decent stuff for under 2k. He just looked at me and said, that's what I was talking about.

Although the quality issue is changing, at least in Moscow, (at least in the center of Moscow).

You can check out avito.ru, if you want to buy interesting things.

i just found this one, dunno if its any good.....

https://auction.ru/

buyusa.ru mirrors the US (mostly) ebay and amazon websites. I guess the advantage is price, they drop-ship what you purchase so you don't have to pay exorbitant shipping charges.

I wonder what happened to molotok.ru

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    There used to be an ebay knock-off- molotok.ru (hammer). I think Ebay was even connected somehow. There isn't a second-hand market here because most people have super cheap crap. I was just talking to a guy from the provinces who was complaining about how expensive clothes are here in Moscow and I was like, well, H&M has some pretty decent stuff for under 2k. He just looked at me and said, that's what I was talking about.

Although the quality issue is changing, at least in Moscow, (at least in the center of Moscow).

You can check out avito.ru, if you want to buy interesting things.

Go to "Funny Prices" a pair of Nike for 600 rub. Pants, 1000 winter coat, 2000.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"