English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Received HMRC tax rebate cheque from UK. Can't deposit or cash it.

It won't work with a British cheque. Sperbank tried to cash the cheque and couldn't find bank name and number, as the issuing name on it is HMRC (British tax authority). https://epayservices.com/en/checks-processing.html is good for USA checks, but not British. Paypal also provide the service where you can take a photo of the cheque from your I-phone, but I am having difficulty having them confirm whether they can do British cheques from HMRC (UK TAX office).

As far as I can see from the HRMC website, it looks like they bank through
    Barclays Bank PLC
    1 Churchill Place
    London
    United Kingdom
    E14 5HP

The Swift BIC is BARCGB2 and the sort code is 08 32 10.

At least those are the bank details they give if you have to pay them anything.

Also on their website they confirm that they can only pay reffunds into British bank accounts. In the absence of that, they issue cheques. Good news (perhaps) — it is possible to nominate someone else to receive the money. Who would then presumably have to go to the trouble of sending it to Russia.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/...ious-job/no/no

Hope this might help.
    Last edited by BigBear; 04-11-2018 at 21:08. Reason: Further info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (05-11-2018)

Thanks, I may give Barclay’s a try in Russia. Yes', I'm aware they don't offer the standard over the counter service as they do in the UK, but maybe they can cash my cheque or cheques, as there will be more. And yes I have already thought of contacting an accountant in the UK asking them to cash my cheque in return for a say, 5% fee. I thought of an accountant as to be trusted with a professional integrity. The tax office is prepared to change the name on the cheque for a nominee on my behalf.

Paypal cash a cheque

May be useful for Americans in Europe. I'm not sure if they can help me with a British cheque. EU checks seem to be OK and definitely USA checks. I'm waiting for a straight answer from PAYPAL Russia. That can be difficult . It was Hell getting an account with them. Useful link for Americans, not sure for me yet, as I said https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/...al-app-faq3725

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimpson View Post
    Thanks, I may give Barclay’s a try in Russia. Yes', I'm aware they don't offer the standard over the counter service as they do in the UK, but maybe they can cash my cheque or cheques, as there will be more. And yes I have already thought of contacting an accountant in the UK asking them to cash my cheque in return for a say, 5% fee. I thought of an accountant as to be trusted with a professional integrity. The tax office is prepared to change the name on the cheque for a nominee on my behalf.
    Why not just send by courier to a family member or friend in the UK to deposit in your account via a local bank branch and then electronically transfer to Russian bank if you need the money?

Would be far cheaper than asking an accountant to do it and you would have to send the physical cheque to the UK anyway...........
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

The Paypal apps don't work in Russia, Europe and the rest of the world yes. The apps also have limits of $2,500 per check (cheque). I have contacted Barclay's in Moscow, so maybe they might help. So thank you very much British tax off ice for giving me a nice cheque I can't cash in Moscow .

Problem solved I think. So it may be useful to British expats or it may apply to all cheques. In my case I contacted Barclay's in Facebook and got this answer.

Hi John, thanks for your message. The easiest thing to do would be to post it to us in the UK, along with a covering letter detailing what account to post it to. I’d recommend sending it by courier, so you know it has definitely been received by us and including your address too, just in case they need to write back to you. You can send the cheque and letter to Barclays Bank UK PLC, OS&D Dept, 51 Saffron Road, South Wigston, Leicester, LE18 4US​. –Amiee

Have you tried searching the money shop in UK. It's blocked in Russia. Why. It's a company that cashes cheques instantly in Britain over the counter, for a charge of course. I haveexperience blocking like lenkedin for example. But what's the point in blocking legitimate companies?

Not solved. You need a Barclay's account. You can't get one unless you have a permanent address in UK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12