littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Received HMRC tax rebate cheque from UK. Can't deposit or cash it.

Received HMRC tax rebate cheque from UK. Can't deposit or cash it.

I received a cheque made payable to me from the tax office in UK (HMRC). The problem is I can't cash it. I tried my own bank Unicredit first, and they said they don't accept cheques period. I tried several other banks and they won't cash it. I tried Sperbank and at least they tried, but couldn't find the information on the cheque to be able to cash it. The banker asked who is the bank as it doesn't state it on the cheque. I must assume it is HMRC themselves as it says on the cheque.

I tried Epay, but that's only Euros and dollars.

Surely British expats have received rebates when for example claiming a private pension payment where tax is deducted and then paid back.

What's the problem with Epay (oiros and dollah), you don't have currency exchange / bank office nearby? Or you mean the cheque is in GBP, and they don't accept LizzyQueen?

I'm afraid there are only 2 ways:
    1st is to talk to the issuing bank, if they can accept the cheque mailed from you back to them, organize an account for you, connect plastic debit card to it and mail the card back to you.
    2nd - go to vacation back to UK, cash it there, and bring pound "cotelette" back to Russia.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (16-10-2018)

I did cash a check here a long, long time ago. The only bank that could do it was the state bank VTB. It will cost you and will take at least 45 days to get your money, but like I said that was a long time ago.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (16-10-2018)

Thanks for your answers. I tried VTB and they no longer tried cheques. VTB no longer cashes cheques. Sperbank tried but hte cheque had no issuing bank name on it and with the numbers and info on the HMRC cheque they couldn't do anything. EPAY might be a possibility, but I only see mention of Euro or dollar and no mention of pounds. I asked advice from HM tax office and all they could suggest is to find a nominee with a UK bank account. I would open a UK bank account myself in the UK, but I have a feeling I need a permanent address in the UK, in other words I must be currently resident there.

As for your first option Andy, the issuer is the HM tax authority and they are not very flexible, so the y are unlikely to open an account for me, and stated they do not wire the money.

The only option is to take a holiday (vacation) in the UK and cash the cheque. As you said.

If anybody has recently cashed an HMRC cheque in Russia, please let me know.

The advice from

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    I did cash a check here a long, long time ago. The only bank that could do it was the state bank VTB. It will cost you and will take at least 45 days to get your money, but like I said that was a long time ago.
    https://www.vtb.com/o-banke/ - short Eng version is here
    https://www.vtb.ru/tarify/#tab_0_1# - local version in Rus is here
    https://www.vtb.ru/o-banke/kontakty/...d/office-1948/ Zhukovka office, nearest to Gorki-10, working at Sats
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

johnsimpson (16-10-2018)

There is another option and hopefully this will help others as I am sure many have pot pensions etc, where what you may receive is deducted in tax, in which you in turn receive back from the tax office.. The HMRC (British tax authorities) are prepared to send another cheque to a named nominee Sit could be taken by someone prepared to deposit into their own British bank account and transfer the money to your Russian bank account. Of course it would need to be someone you trust or perhaps a professional service if it exists? a 4% (depending on value of cheque) commission could make it worthwhile for both parties.

As I said I tried VTB recently in Moledoznia personally with my wife for translation, and VTB clearly stated they no longer cash cheques. In fact we tried several banks including Sperbank.

As for Epay. The cheque is written in pounds, and I'm not sure if the will cash it. I'm waiting for an answer.

HSBC bank is a British bank in Moscow. I wonder if they can help. I have emailed them and will phone them on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimpson View Post
    HSBC bank is a British bank in Moscow. I wonder if they can help. I have emailed them and will phone them on Monday.

Ha, a bank helping someone! That's a good one.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Well, they are advertising themselves as the helping bank for expats. So will I have a good word for them on their answer, or will I not? Watch this space.

in the us- most banks these days offer online checking, which means that you can just download the app, take a photo of the routing numbers, add in how much you are depositing and it will be done. The uk has to have similiar tech. maybe look around and open a new account?

There is this service, but no joy for a British cheque.
    https://epayservices.com/en/

HSBC

Unfortunately HSBC has not retail service in Moscow Russia.

Russians (people or business) do not use checks. They have different type of payment. That is why no one bank is going to cash your check. I agree with americaninmoscow - use app to deposit check you received to your british bank account.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to seaworld For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (31-10-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast