English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Safety Deposit Box in Moscow?

Safety Deposit Box in Moscow?

Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced safety deposit box in Moscow?

I checked with the Sberbank branch on Stary Arbat (probably the most expensive place to check), and their A4 x 5cm box was 12.4k rubles a year.

Meanwhile, on the internet, there is a place called "isbank" out by metro universitet that appears to be about 6k/yr + 4k deposit.

6k/yr would be on the upper end of what I would pay. For a branch of a good bank. Somewhere near either MGU or Arbat.

Thanks for your help!

P.S.
    If anyone wanders in here, the documents they asked for are *notarized* passport and migration card

Quote Originally Posted by holumc View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced safety deposit box in Moscow?

I checked with the Sberbank branch on Stary Arbat (probably the most expensive place to check), and their A4 x 5cm box was 12.4k rubles a year.

Meanwhile, on the internet, there is a place called "isbank" out by metro universitet that appears to be about 6k/yr + 4k deposit.

6k/yr would be on the upper end of what I would pay. For a branch of a good bank. Somewhere near either MGU or Arbat.

Thanks for your help!

P.S.
    If anyone wanders in here, the documents they asked for are *notarized* passport and migration card
    open an account and rent a P.O. Box at your local post office. Most probably around the corner? no one steals anything from there. and it is open 24/7/365.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

holumc (21-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    open an account and rent a P.O. Box at your local post office. Most probably around the corner? no one steals anything from there. and it is open 24/7/365.
    How much are contents insured for there?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    good question. when I am the next few days at the post office I will ask. though it will NOT bee today or tomorrow. Also, maybe not SO valid, but maybe it might be, can a -foreigner - also open an account and rent a P.O.Box or only citizrens...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (17-10-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    May I guess? Your post/mails/parcels about the value that goes for these normal conditions (not that much), value that have a separate insurance = the value of the insurance.
    Stuff you put your self = ZERO.

good question. when I am the next few days at the post office I will ask. though it will NOT bee today or tomorrow. Also, maybe not SO valid, but maybe it might be, can a -foreigner - also open an account and rent a P.O.Box or only citizrens...
    They are not normally covered by CCTV, nor have dual key control (2 Keys), do not offer a high level of protection against forced attack using hand tools, and most are not in a separate room into which access is robustly controlled.............and, although I have not studied all keys or lock barrels, I think that most will be inferior locks allowing the easy copying or purchase of replacement keys!

Given that, I certainly would not be seeking to store anything valuable in such a place!

Given that, I certainly would not be seeking to store anything valuable in such a place![/QUOTE]
    reply from the manager of - MY- post office. 123181 here in Strogino.
    everyone can rent a P.O.Box. you sign a contract, need a passport and LEGAL registration. cost pr month 2000 rubles
    There is only ONE key, -you - have it. postal workers drop letters in through a slit from the top. like the boxes at home in the -podyest-.
    Access to the boxes is during the time that the post office is working.ONLY. 8 am to 8 pm. Monday to Saturday. Sundays closed. Nights closed. To break into the boxes (room) one needs to get through 2 heavy doors. And the steel door at the nentrace to the post office. THAT is also being locked after working hours. Also during the day one could not brake into a box. they are not made from -foil and superglue-. Would be to much noise. And peopel are walking constantly in and out.
    -Our- post office is being protected by CCTV, so is the yard and I suppose every 100 m there is a camera. Because we have several schools and colleges, a polyclinic, kindergarten and other public buildings around there.
    There is no insurance of any kind, neither for the boxes, or the content. Registered letters or parcels will be handed over anyway to you personally only. with the filled in the slip of paper and your passport.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (17-10-2018)

Given that, I certainly would not be seeking to store anything valuable in such a place!

reply from the manager of - MY- post office. 123181 here in Strogino.
    everyone can rent a P.O.Box. you sign a contract, need a passport and LEGAL registration. cost pr month 2000 rubles
    There is only ONE key, -you - have it. postal workers drop letters in through a slit from the top. like the boxes at home in the -podyest-.
    Access to the boxes is during the time that the post office is working.ONLY. 8 am to 8 pm. Monday to Saturday. Sundays closed. Nights closed. To break into the boxes (room) one needs to get through 2 heavy doors. And the steel door at the nentrace to the post office. THAT is also being locked after working hours. Also during the day one could not brake into a box. they are not made from -foil and superglue-. Would be to much noise. And peopel are walking constantly in and out.
    -Our- post office is being protected by CCTV, so is the yard and I suppose every 100 m there is a camera. Because we have several schools and colleges, a polyclinic, kindergarten and other public buildings around there.
    There is no insurance of any kind, neither for the boxes, or the content. Registered letters or parcels will be handed over anyway to you personally only. with the filled in the slip of paper and your passport.[/QUOTE]

No CCTV of boxes themselves, only one key! There will be spare keys and the previous person who rented the box could have copied the key..............

People walking in and out................

Less than 30 seconds to break into one those boxes..............

If you value what you are wanting to secure, then avoid those types of boxes.......

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (17-10-2018)

Thank you for the advice. I've never considered it, and it's not a bad idea for some semi-valuable things (hard/flash drive, documents). Unfortunately, I may need to store some jewelry or other items in the future.

Also, P.O. Boxes i'm familiar with usually open up completely in the back for postal workers to put in parcels. I'm skeptical (not saying it's false; just that I'd have to verify) that they're just slits in Moscow.

But I'll weigh my options

Quote Originally Posted by holumc View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I've never considered it, and it's not a bad idea for some semi-valuable things (hard/flash drive, documents). Unfortunately, I may need to store some jewelry or other items in the future.

Also, P.O. Boxes i'm familiar with usually open up completely in the back for postal workers to put in parcels. I'm skeptical (not saying it's false; just that I'd have to verify) that they're just slits in Moscow.

But I'll weigh my options

usually yes,no problem with that. but it does happen, not the one in Strogino. Postoffice workers do not - fill- them from the back, there is just a slit on top where they themselves throw in the mail. no parcels, nothign more thean 1 cm wide. no space for that. and the boxes are of sturdy thick steel. nothing that can be opened SILENTLY in 30 seconds.obvious it is not a BANK safe room. so people walk in and out all the time.
    want to -hide- something safely at home? buy a 3 lter glass jar with honey. pour out the honey. (or jam...) wrap the passport or flashkey, or whatever, tightly a few times in cling film. pour honey half back into the jar. put the passport on top of the honey. fill up with the rest of the honey. put the jar back into the cupboard. no -thief- will ever steal your honey...