English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: While I'm here, can we be silly?

While I'm here, can we be silly?

Because I didn't want to put the subject in the actual title of this thread ....

I was going through some of my stuff today and found a pair (why do we call them pairs?) of ladies *cough* knickers that I bought in the Smolyenska perehod in about 2004 from a vendor who had a table of cardboard boxes of ladies underwear for sale for 20 rubles apiece. I had never seen anything like it before in my life; it was freezing cold, I had no idea what world I'd been dropped into, and I could buy panties from fold-out tables in the subway.

Those were the days, eh?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to annasophia For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (17-09-2018), natlee (14-09-2018), nicklcool (17-09-2018), TolkoRaz (14-09-2018), Uncle Wally (14-09-2018)

Thank you! I'd much rather talk panties than Trump or GRU!
    Go where you are celebrated not tolerated.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to natlee For This Useful Post:

annasophia (14-09-2018), FatAndy (17-09-2018), Uncle Wally (14-09-2018)

You're welcome m'lady.

I was always trying to memorize in which perehod I had seen what, in case I found myself in need of a negligee, an Egyptian handbag, or a new hair color from Slovenia.

I was forever threatening to draw up a map of the Cherkizovsky rynok to make my fortune in the world. That place was impenetrable but sold every good under the sun and was a massive maze of iniquity, before the advent of GPS. I always eschewed the covered areas figuring if I ever went in there I'd never find my way out again - someone in the future would find my corpse clutching a bag full of of rhinestone studded high heels and a sack of cute skivvies and housewares.
    Last edited by annasophia; 14-09-2018 at 15:39.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to annasophia For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (17-09-2018), natlee (14-09-2018), nicklcool (17-09-2018)

I was always trying to memorize in which perehod I had seen what, in case I found myself in need of a negligee, an Egyptian handbag, or a new hair color from Slovenia.

looks like you are here also for a long time.
    there were indeed times when I also was looking out for these tables wherever they were standing. some of them had good (counterfeit) music. some kiosk, special when I was still in Lipetsk, had all the english language films, long before they came on youtube. and there was the, Russian language, Computer Bild, a German Windows sponsord techie rag. But they always had in the middle a good CD with one english or German languge film. and tons of virus free freebees. I still have about 200 CD's from that time.
    and at one time they had watched. all fakes. all - konfiskat- or so they said. most of them were junk. but then I learned by chance, take them in your hand. and the ones that are HEAVY are the good ones. I still have a few, need a new batterie every other year. at that time the watches were 100 rubles each.
    There were always people around who flogging -genuine- Gillette razor blade. I found out quickly though, only when the cardboard was shiny, that is it was as covered with a thin -cling film-, they were genuine. the ones in plain cardboard were made somewhere in a - padval- and one could throw them away after one shave.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by natlee View Post
    Thank you! I'd much rather talk panties than Trump or GRU!

Yeah me too!
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (17-09-2018), natlee (14-09-2018), TolkoRaz (15-09-2018)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Right on, annasophia, in another thread Benedikt and another member are debating whether the abolishment of kiosks was a good thing. I'm kind of with the other poster; if you don't want to waste time then the kiosk WAS the best equivalent to a quick run to the 7-11 in the US (better, even), and without these kiosks it does feel like there's nowhere to grab a quick (affordable) drink on the run.

Besides I think the kiosks made Russia uniquely Russian and just like you don't want a Starbucks to replace Paisian cafes, I don't want these kiosks replaced with Vkusvilles & Pyatyorichkas.

Another uniquely Russian thing that's still around are these closed and open air markets, like mini versions of Cherkizovsky I guess. What they lack in hygeine and quality of goods they more than make up for in convenience: I needed a connector to elongate my washing machine's drainage hose and while I did find it at Obi, it took forever to reach that part of the store and the price wasn't much lower than what I later found at some old man's kiosk in the market. So the next time I needed a knick knack, I didn't make the same mistake: instead of travelling and searching forever at Decatlon for a pump needle (to inflate a football), I went to the gray-bearded kooky guy at our local market and sure enough he had it for under 100 rubles, cash only, no big bills, please
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

annasophia (18-09-2018)

^^ Absolutely. My local rynok had everything from fishing gear to a light bulb vendor to the Azeri who fixed my boots, to fresh crawdads and the best cookie kiosk in Moscow. The trips to Cherkizovsky were always a safari into the consumer cornucopia of riches and mystery and jeopardy.

The whole plaza/perehod complex around Biblioteka Lenin was street party central, that was where I went to get my party on with a couple of Stary Melniks and whatever else was happening.
    I remember when the metro was full of slot machines, that was crazy.

One time I was at Kievskaya in the early construction of the Evropa mall, and there was a huge dumpster full of construction debris that was on flaming fire. Perched on the edge the dumpster was a Tajik with a garden hose squirting water on the flames. No one paid a bit of attention to it. And nearby, I could also buy panties from a cardboard box while standing out in the snow.

Silly ninnies.