co-atmosphere.ru        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: bilingual preschools in Moscow

bilingual preschools in Moscow

Hello! I could be moving to Moscow in the next year with my 3.5 year old daughter. I know Moscow, used to live there until 2014. My husband is Russian. (If y'all remember us, we were in Moscow years ago, had some problems, now we are happy and together.) I know about the usual suspects (AAS, Moscow Montessori, all the English only schools) but am looking for other tips. Our daughter only speaks English, so I don't think I want to just throw her into an all Russian education, but I would like her to learn Russian. We would not be living in the West or one of the fancy expat neighborhoods, but possibly Paveletskaya or one of the historic neighborhoods. All Russian would be fine if I can just take her a few days a week. Just a good school, play based, fun, outdoor activities, nice staff. Our budget is not too strict. My husband thinks there are schools which teach in English but are geared towards middle class Russians; I guess that is what I am looking for. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to molly picon For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (17-07-2018)

Glad to hear everything turn out well for you and your family.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (17-07-2018)

It depends if your husband has Moscow registration (propiska) or he's from some other place. If he's a local, then your child can go to a local state kindergarten for free (well, something like $25 a month), the state kindergartens in Moscow are pretty good (my son went to one, and then during summer vacation when they were closed he went to a private kindergarten for like $500 a month, and I'd say the environment and staff in the state kindergarten were significantly better). If your husband is registered out of town, then you don't really have a choice and can only go to a private kindergarten, so just check out what are the options in the neighborhood where you'll be renting. In my 'hood there was some kindergarten that claimed to be bilingual in Russian/English, tuition was something like $700 a month, and also a bilingual Russian/French one that cost almost a grand a month.

If your embassy has some sort of Sunday school for its citizens, maybe you can just visit there on weekends to maintain your kid's native language and culture, while attending a Russian kindergarten on weekdays. That's what we did when we lived in Moscow.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Glad to hear everything turn out well for you and your family.
    What he said.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

molly picon (26-07-2018)