English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Apostille processs to get married

Apostille processs to get married

I hate paperwork. To me, the US was a Kafkaesque bureaucratic hell, Russia, being a million times worse sends me into existentiel agony....

Im divorced and want to get married. I was divorced in Oregon. I do not have a certified copy of the divorce.

Ive googled the last hour what to do and still have no idea. I know I need a certified copy. Check.
    It seems strange to order a copy , fedex to Moscow, then send back to Oregon sec of state to apostille and resend back. There must be a better way.

It's not like they will know you've been married before unless you tell them. Just get the confirmation from your embassy that you're currently single, and if the Russian ZAGS asks if you've been married before tell them you weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiancai View Post
    Just get the confirmation from your embassy that you're currently single
    Not all country's embassy/consulate will make this paper, you may have to "go home" to get it, and to get it Apostatised stamped.
    In some country's it is a standard formula that tells that NN and MM can marry each other (shame on me, I worked in an office where they issued these documents and we had them in many languages, but I simply can't remember the name of the ducument).

and if the Russian ZAGS asks if you've been married before tell them you weren't.
    The issue for ZAGS is, if you are legally finally divorced, and that all property and children are legally finally divided between the couple, and that can be a nightmare to prove, so better avoid this if there is any chance that the divorce was just a bit muddy.
    ZAGS love court decision, but not all country's in this world are making divorces into a court decision and ZAGS can have some issues to understand, or just accept this, so best is to get something official paper that tells you can marry or tell that you are unmarried.

Don't let it get you down, it's only castles burning.

I was married in Oregon. We got our marriage certificate apostilled in no time flat. Arranged the whole thing while sitting on my duff here in Moscow. The State of Oregon is up to speed on apostilles, they even have a page in Russian.

Go to this site to order your divorce certificate:

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/birthd...ges/index.aspx

Then go to this site to get it apostilled:

https://sos.oregon.gov/business/Page...apostille.aspx

As far as I can recall, I had the department of vital records send the certificate to the department of apostilles at the Secretary of State. I have a PO box in the US that I use for mail. Always handy. I had it sent there, then FEDEXed on over to Russia.

If you have questions, call the numbers shown on the sites. I recall paying by credit card.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

finnandcork (12-09-2018), Hans.KK (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    Not all country's embassy/consulate will make this paper, you may have to "go home" to get it, and to get it Apostatised stamped.
    In some country's it is a standard formula that tells that NN and MM can marry each other (shame on me, I worked in an office where they issued these documents and we had them in many languages, but I simply can't remember the name of the ducument).
    Yeah, it's different for different countries, but the OP is from the U.S., as far as I know, Americans can just testify before an official at the embassy that you're not married, and they'll issue you a paper (so technically you don't even need to prove it, but of course if you lie and they find out some day, you'll be held responsible according to U.S. laws).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiancai For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (05-07-2018)

Thanks everyone for replying....

[QUOTE=xt-tsi;1481492]Don't let it get you down, it's only castles burning.

I was married in Oregon. We got our marriage certificate apostilled in no time flat. Arranged the whole thing while sitting on my duff here in Moscow. The State of Oregon is up to speed on apostilles, they even have a page in Russian.

Go to this site to order your divorce certificate:

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/birthd...ges/index.aspx

Then go to this site to get it apostilled:

https://sos.oregon.gov/business/Page...apostille.aspx

As far as I can recall, I had the department of vital records send the certificate to the department of apostilles at the Secretary of State. I have a PO box in the US that I use for mail. Always handy. I had it sent there, then FEDEXed on over to Russia.

If you have questions, call the numbers shown on the sites. I recall paying by credit card.[/QUOTE

Thanks!,,,]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to finnandcork For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (05-07-2018)

Hi, just did this....thanks....did you have to translate the apostille?

Quote Originally Posted by finnandcork View Post
    Hi, just did this....thanks....did you have to translate the apostille?
    no, an apostille, the big stamp at the back of a document, needs not to be translated.

By the way, and this is my honest opinion, - don't ask, don't tell - does not work in the long run. sometimes these things might come back and haunt you. At the most inconvenient time. Chair pushes and stamp pad protectors, a.k.a. burocrats can be a pain in the neck. EVERYWHERE!!!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Financork, Benedikt is right, you don't need to get the apostille translated in the US. Once you receive the apostille document here in Russia, you need to take it to a notary and get a translation of it, with the original to be accepted by the Russian authorities.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (14-09-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Financork, Benedikt is right, you don't need to get the apostille translated in the US. Once you receive the apostilled document here in Russia, you need to take it to a notary and get a translation of it, with the original to be accepted by the Russian authorities.

and always make color copies of any document. also from the back. and might it be a stamp only. one never know if-when it might come in handy.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....