littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: How to tell a cashier to swipe the magentic strip, and if that doesnt work, key in the number of a credit card?

How to tell a cashier to swipe the magentic strip, and if that doesnt work, key in the number of a credit card?

OK, here's my situation. I have an American credit card that is about to expire. The last time I was in the USA, I had asked them to give me a card with a further expiration date (which every other bank does without a problem), but they were so screwed up that it didn't happen. .

I was told that when the time comes, simple ask Visa to send me an "emergency card", which I did - and which forced me to go pick up at the UPS office by the St. Pete airport (1-1/2 hr by transit ), although now I understand that I can get stuff picked up at the central office, which is not a problem. Anyway, so I get the card - which doesn't have a chip, but only the stripe - and I try to use it at Okei, and of course it wouldn't go through. So when I tell my bank about this, they said that the "emergency" card issued to me could have a bad stripe, so I am getting sent another one , but they also said that the vendor could always "key in" the number, and it will work.

Now, I'm not even sure that cashiers here have been trained in how to "key in" a card. I don't even know if all card readers even still have a magnetic swipe, as it's been so long since I had used a swipe. But I wonder how to tell them (in Russian) that they need to do this "key in" procedure.

My Russian card only has a stripe, too, and I've never had a problem using it, all card readers are equipped with a stripe swiper. But not so sure about "keying it in", never heard about this option (they might not be willing to do it in fear of fraud, cause someone who found out another person's card number and pin might've made a fake card with the same number).

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    Now, I'm not even sure that cashiers here have been trained in how to "key in" a card.
    Don't expect that, and do not expect that you can make them even try something that there boss had not informed them to do, it will not happen.

OK, it appears that my replacement card is good, but that it won't actually start working until the current card expires at the end of June. As long as it works at Okei, City Burger & Telepizza, I'll be satisfied

Get some cans of тушёнка, add some Гречневая каша and you will survive well.