littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your Entertainment in Moscow?

What is your Entertainment in Moscow?

What is your Entertainment in Moscow or spb? top 5 ( No Sex Discussion )
    I got bored, any Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Liu.vix View Post
    What is your Entertainment in Moscow or spb? top 5 ( No Sex Discussion )
    I got bored, any Advice?
    being well past that age, nightclubs and discos have no more enticements for me.
    having worked in the - hospitality - industry all my life I am glad I do not have to get near a restaurant. daytime does not count, getting, when shopping, a quick bite to eat or a cup of coffee at a food court or coffeeshop.

So, for me, it will be walking the dog in our park ( you might wonder why I am up this time. just got back with the dog...)

Vernissage in Ismailove, regularly, is always fun for me. though only the real flea market at the bottom and the galleries. Not the tourist traps and their crappy matryoshkas and other rip-offs.

Walking around Tsaritsino or Kolomenskoye Estates and the museum, great on a nice sunny day. Peredelkino is also nice. (Boris Pasternak of Dr.Shivago fame lived there). Or when it is cold and WHITE snow in winter, put on the thick Fufeika Anorak and Valenki and walk through the snow....

Taking any suburban train (-elektritshka-) to the last stop and exploring the countryside.

On a rainy day mostly, visiting any of the big museums in town.

Or just taking an old book that I have read already, sitting on a bench in the park, watching the ships and boats go by, reading a book. ( when reading, I like to read print, not something electronically produced on a screen)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I like to get together with old friends in different parts of the city to talk and drink wine or coffee. Sometimes have a bite to eat. I end up doing this about twice a week. This time of year, with the long days and rare warm weather, I try to find places to sit outdoors. Lately, I've gone to Novokuznetskaya, nicely fixed up with a fountain, lots of cool places nearby, not too overrun. I'm always on the hunt for new interesting places. In winter I went to Danilovsky Rynok for tacos and Vietnamese food a few times. Last winter a friend of mine and I were searching for dry aged steak. We never found any truly dry aged meat but the steaks were pretty good. This took us around town to various eateries.

I like taking long walks in different parts of the city. Yesterday my wife and I took a walk from Novokuznetskaya metro up to red square and from there, through some back streets to Tverskaya metro station. To make it that far, I stopped for coffee and my wife had tea with a bulka. Another great walk is from Gorky Park to the center. The area around Kropotkinskaya metro is interesting. Also the chocolate factory converted to a cool shopping and restaurant area at Bolotnaya Naberezhnya.

These days, most parts of the old city are interesting because so much of it has been fixed up. Yesterday I walked past Tretyakovskaya museum and was astonished to find the entire area completely rebuilt. I had no idea.

Sometimes we go to a concert or a play somewhere. I've done less of this lately because my wife prefers Russian folk music and I've heard enough Russkaya Narodnaya Musika to last several lifetimes. So she goes without me. Thank God for small mercies.

Other than that, like Benedikt, I walk my dog every day. My dog never lets me off of the hook which is good because this is how I get my exercise. I live outside Moscow near Istra. We spend time in the Istra river in summer, swimming and canoeing. In winter we cross country ski.

I also try to get out to the countryside, at least two hours from the city, especially during the summer months where no trace of Moscow or Moscow oblast can be felt. Our dacha is out there, 2 hours from the MKAD. That's one of my all time favorite things to do except, of course, having shashlik on my deck at home with family and friends. With wine...seeing a pattern here...
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 04-06-2018 at 18:07.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Tiancai (06-06-2018), Uncle Wally (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Liu.vix View Post
    What is your Entertainment in Moscow or spb? top 5
    I like to go to https://www.chipdip.ru/, the zoo is always good for a trip, Крестовский остров is an other nice place too, from Канонерский парк there is a very good view on the sea, or look at people in IKEA always interesting to see how couples handle the "IKEA stress test".
    I may add that some of these places is St. Petersburg only.
    Last edited by Hans.KK; 04-06-2018 at 18:34. Reason: Add info.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Liu.vix (04-06-2018), xt-tsi (05-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Taking any suburban train (-elektritshka-) to the last stop and exploring the countryside.
    That is a good one too, I had done so a few times, the best was to Сосновый Бор west of St. Petersburg, the most interesting small city I had seen so far, it is the place for some atomic power station and it make a difference on the city in many ways.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (04-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    That is a good one too, I had done so a few times, the best was to Сосновый Бор west of St. Petersburg, the most interesting small city I had seen so far, it is the place for some atomic power station and it make a difference on the city in many ways.
    Sosnovy Bor is a closed city with no access for foreigners.

Restricted access
    Due to high concentration of classified research facilities, nuclear energy industries, and military installations, access to Sosnovy Bor is only by special permit (except for the inhabitants of the town).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sosnov...ningrad_Oblast

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post

Restricted access
    Due to high concentration of classified research facilities, nuclear energy industries, and military installations, access to Sosnovy Bor is only by special permit (except for the inhabitants of the town).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sosnov...ningrad_Oblast
    do not think these days a permit is to difficult to get?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Sorry I did not know that, but I just bought a ticket at the local train station and at the end of the trip I went out and walk to the city centre, I am 100% sure I can do it tomorrow if I want to.
    Last edited by Hans.KK; 04-06-2018 at 20:11.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (05-06-2018), Uncle Wally (04-06-2018)

Sorry I did not know that, but I just bought a ticket at the local train station and at the end of the trip I went out and walk to the city centre, I am 100% sure I can do it tomorrow if I want to.
    You know it's bad when you no longer look like a foreigner.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (05-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Some people spend much time and effort trying not to look like a foreigner!
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

natlee (05-06-2018), Uncle Wally (05-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yes, you know you had been in Russia to long...

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Some people spend much time and effort trying not to look like a foreigner!
    I do not look like a local unless I just sit quietly and do absolutely nothing, as soon as I do any kind of action it is clearly to everybody around (Russians) that this is a stranger, when sitting with a group of Russian coworkers they all drink kvas I drink the US licensed floor cleaner liqueur, I even eat my dinner in a different way, washing hands after toilet visit is done differently too, so all red flags is on alert.

But to get back on tropic, Sosnovy Bor is worth a visit, no matter how closed it may be to whom-ever. The only control of any kind was in the train and they want to see you ticket, there where police in the train too, I do not recall if they ask me for any ID, but they did arrest a few people and tog them to the police station at the final train station they were side by side, to see the power station you just walk to the main road and follow it into the city and some 5 km later you are standing less than 100 meters from what looks to be the main entrance, the walk to this place is interesting, at some place I did file like I was back in the 60's/70's cartoon Jetson, but the condition of the city, houses, cars, busses, lorry's, etc. was way better than Russian average, many lorry's was for some reason with benzin V8 engines with a wonderful sound.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (05-06-2018)

Yes, you know you had been in Russia to long...

I do not look like a local unless I just sit quietly and do absolutely nothing, as soon as I do any kind of action it is clearly to everybody around (Russians) that this is a stranger, when sitting with a group of Russian coworkers they all drink kvas I drink the US licensed floor cleaner liqueur, I even eat my dinner in a different way, washing hands after toilet visit is done differently too, so all red flags is on alert.

But to get back on tropic, Sosnovy Bor is worth a visit, no matter how closed it may be to whom-ever. The only control of any kind was in the train and they want to see you ticket, there where police in the train too, I do not recall if they ask me for any ID, but they did arrest a few people and tog them to the police station at the final train station they were side by side, to see the power station you just walk to the main road and follow it into the city and some 5 km later you are standing less than 100 meters from what looks to be the main entrance, the walk to this place is interesting, at some place I did file like I was back in the 60's/70's cartoon Jetson, but the condition of the city, houses, cars, busses, lorry's, etc. was way better than Russian average, many lorry's was for some reason with benzin V8 engines with a wonderful sound.
    I trust that you were not there in 1992 when the Sosnovy Bor reactor had a nuclear accident?
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

I can't remember the year, but between 2006 and 2012, so 1992: No, but I was not that far in December 1992, something like 50-60 km, which in nuclear accident context is not that much, so that must be the reason I can't stay away from Russia, I am a victim of a nuclear accident, that is cool, I had no idea about that.

When I was in Sosnovy Bor there were environmental (Read: radioactive level) measurement stations all over, so even if the plant just release a small fart I think they will register it and put it in there log books.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Sometimes we go to a concert or a play somewhere. I've done less of this lately because my wife prefers Russian folk music and I've heard enough Russkaya Narodnaya Musika to last several lifetimes.

Rules require more characters, but that is really all I wanted to 'say'!
    Go where you are celebrated not tolerated.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to natlee For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (05-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I live outside Moscow near Istra. We spend time in the Istra river in summer, swimming and canoeing. In winter we cross country ski.
    Is that river still ok to swim in nowadays? I spent a few years in my early childhood in the Istra area, we'd often go swimming in the river or take a stroll in the New Jerusalem monastery, but I haven't been there in ages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast