English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, bought computer, now how to change language to English?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i wonder what you use the MAC for? or how you use it? fair enough I use mine -only- for personal things. no big graphics, no games, no fancy downloads. though for work i have some 10 000 technical cards, menus,food photoes and other work related things. never any problem.
    the only thing i do not have is an accumulator back up. i did not buy one when they were available at Media Markt because they were so expensive, that time. In our building there is lots of construction going on, does happen frequently power goes off for a minute or so. so i set the -save- not every 3 minutes. but every minute. when typing menus or the likes. and a crash, where everything just drops and goes black, never happened to me. maybe the older Mac's,mine is a mid 2007 already, were constructed sturdier than the new ones?

If you can change your battery you have a very old Mac. Like back when they were good.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

I don't know but I had no problem resetting my wife very old HP she bought in Russia and setting English as the language. It's running Windows 10 now.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I also thought this, but a few months ago a project came up and I spent a lot of time on Macs. I was blown away by how much they crash. But they sure are pretty!
    Must have been something pretty stuffed with that. I run about four macs on an ongoing basis, system crashes extremely rare. Nothing is perfect but no complaints. When I do have crashes, usually I'm doing something weird (i.e. I know what the issue is likely caused by), or it's a specific piece of software (and doesn't affect the system) - mostly one I don't use.

But that's just my anecdata.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (23-05-2018)

the only thing i do not have is an accumulator back up. i did not buy one when they were available at Media Markt because they were so expensive, that time. In our building there is lots of construction going on, does happen frequently power goes off for a minute or so. so i set the -save- not every 3 minutes. but every minute. when typing menus or the likes. and a crash, where everything just drops and goes black, never happened to me. maybe the older Mac's,mine is a mid 2007 already, were constructed sturdier than the new ones?
    It sounds like you are using a desktop computer (iMac?).

If you live in a place where there are frequent black or brownouts, you may be better served by a laptop or notebook - it will run off battery if the power goes out. Or just buy a notebook when you upgrade your computer next.

With newer ones, you can easily hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse (through a hub if you like), and use it exactly as you are now, rarely or never turning it off if you want. I do this sometimes and when set up right, the difference between it and a desktop is unnoticeable - except that when the power goes out (infrequently where I am), only the monitor goes dark instead of the computer shutting down, and when the power comes up, the monitor does too.

Plus you can go sit on the balcony or wherever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    If you can change your battery you have a very old Mac. Like back when they were good.
    I worried about this when I got first notebook with no replaceable batteries.

Batteries are a lot better than they used to be - I haven't had a notebook battery die in seven or eight years. And never in one with a built-in nonreplaceable battery.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

i wonder what you use the MAC for? or how you use it? fair enough I use mine -only- for personal things. no big graphics, no games, no fancy downloads. though for work i have some 10 000 technical cards, menus,food photoes and other work related things. never any problem.
    Making/compiling/rendering large videos and graphic files....(in no order)

Making/compiling/rendering large videos and graphic files....(in no order)
    Were the problems/crashes with the programs or the system?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    Were the problems/crashes with the programs or the system?
    That is a great point - and distinction. Many times it was the adobe software we were using, although a few times it was imovie and a few times it was a system crash, maybe it was because of updates. Honestly I don't remember. I have had a MacAir for a couple years but hardly have pushed it to its full specs. I was super excited to have one of those gorgeous 30x monitors with all the bells and whistles and I couldnt believe it when I was finally pushed it hard, and crash.. Was it the software? The os? Dunno and didn't care, it was just a big let down but I just got used to it happening.

I guess I was just suprised that macs actually have problems as well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (29-05-2018)

Well... They originally have limited the number of possible HW configurations to run OS and application SW, so the idea itself was quite effective till the certain moment. Just later on the almighty and comprehensive external factor, entropy, took its power - they just gave up to the "cost down" and TTM mantras in the terms of code polishing/debugging.
    I've just passed through similar situation in early 200x with server equipment from Intel, and many of my colleagues with HP a bit later.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

That is a great point - and distinction. Many times it was the adobe software we were using, although a few times it was imovie and a few times it was a system crash, maybe it was because of updates. Honestly I don't remember. I have had a MacAir for a couple years but hardly have pushed it to its full specs. I was super excited to have one of those gorgeous 30x monitors with all the bells and whistles and I couldnt believe it when I was finally pushed it hard, and crash.. Was it the software? The os? Dunno and didn't care, it was just a big let down but I just got used to it happening.
    In my experience, sometimes installations get borked and one needs to start over from scratch (using backups). Rare, but it happens. (Mind I have two-three macs that have years of cruft going back for ages that haven't been problems - but I've had it happen).

Nothing is immune from some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Well... They originally have limited the number of possible HW configurations to run OS and application SW, so the idea itself was quite effective till the certain moment. Just later on the almighty and comprehensive external factor, entropy, took its power - they just gave up to the "cost down" and TTM mantras in the terms of code polishing/debugging.
    I've just passed through similar situation in early 200x with server equipment from Intel, and many of my colleagues with HP a bit later.
    All things made by man...

BTW, most of the times I've had problems with macs, more often than not it has been a disk problem - minor stuff but can steal lead to weird unexplained problems.

Several different ways to deal with it, reboot while holding the shift key (so-called safe boot) runs the disk repair program is easiest (only disadvantage is you get no information about what is being fixed or even if that was a problem). Also had hard drives fail (as can happen with any system that uses hard drives).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (23-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    In my experience, sometimes installations get borked and one needs to start over from scratch (using backups).
    Накатить с нуля in Russian.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

OK, after complaining enough to HP, I got a tech there to take over my system, and he was able to find a Window 10 download that is compatible with the single-language license, and I was able to install that (it allows any language to be chosen). The key thing to do - other than get this single-language installation - is to delete all the partitions and let the Windows installation create new partitions, that way the system won't recover back to the original language.

The hardest part of this whole experience is trying to get a rep from HP who will answer the phone. I was stuck not being to use my internet telephone (which someone could call) and relied on Skype.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swampwiz For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (28-05-2018), Uncle Wally (29-05-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12