Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, bought computer, now how to change language to English?

OK, bought computer, now how to change language to English?

For whatever reason, it seems that it a h3ll of a lot more PITA trying to change my computer (Windows 10) from the stock Russian to English than the last time (i.e., when my tablet in Windows 8 came back from the shop here, it was reloaded in Russian). Of course, the websites that tell you how to do this are for going from English to whatever. I tried following along, but it seems whatever I tried, the damn computer would boot up again in Russian.

I need to switch it over to English before I can start decrapifying it in earnest.

Oh, and the keyboard is not an issue; I've got that swapped over. I am talking about when Windows has a message, or going through the Start Menu.

I just reset my wife's computer. I wiped it clean and released Windows 10. It took about 3 hours, but when it started back up it asked which language I wanted and I just clicked English. Now everything is in English.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

If you have a "Windows 10 Single Language" then it is Russian only, you can only use one language in it, reinstall is only official option.
    Reinstall you may need drivers, start here: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/laptops

If it is a non SL version than look here: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/ins...es-windows-10/

Emancipated from MicroSlavery!

It seems to me that WindBlows has two places to switch the language, one from the basic boot-up, and another from the system after it is loaded up. You have to change it in both places to effect the change, otherwise the boot-up system will override anything you do while in the booted-up system. And it is probably impossible to change it in BIOS, so Hans KK is right.

There are lots of reasons why MicroSludge doesn't allow you the option to boot up in your choice of language. The root of the problem, I would compare to building a house with a bad foundation. No matter what enhancements you add to the upper layers - new carpet, new bathroom, pretty pink paint, steel doors, new wiring, new shingles on the roof - the house still has a faulty foundation.

I'm done with Windoze, I am new-enlistee in Linux (see my parallel post).

I haven't tried switching languages in Linux, will post when I do...

Just a note, there may be exceptions to obtaining the all-English or all-Russian interface, the programmer/web-site builder still has some power (even in MicroScam) over how (what language) to display error messages, menus, etc., although a good programmer will let the user set everything, in preferences. Your favorite website or program may never be entirely available, 100%, in the preferred tongue.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 16-05-2018 at 11:02.
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (16-05-2018), nicklcool (23-05-2018), swampwiz (22-05-2018)

send the Microsoft PC crap to the trash heap. Buy a MAC. you can do it and set it some 50 other languages with the click of the mouse in 2 minutes. ( sorry I am a Mac user and fan since some 25 odd years)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    send the Microsoft PC crap to the trash heap. Buy a MAC. you can do it and set it some 50 other languages with the click of the mouse in 2 minutes. ( sorry I am a Mac user and fan since some 25 odd years)
    The newer Macs are having a lot of problems. Very hard and next to impossible to fix.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    The newer Macs are having a lot of problems. Very hard and next to impossible to fix.
    You are talking about the keyboards? Used to be able to replace one key-cap, but now you have to change the whole keyboard...
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    You are talking about the keyboards? Used to be able to replace one key-cap, but now you have to change the whole keyboard...

Yes the keyboard thing is the latest but not the only thing. Add in way over priced too.

OK, time for an update. I have an HP "advocate" based in the USA who is handling my "situation", and so far it looks like HansKK is correct in that I only have a Russian license (I'm waiting to see if HP wants to somehow let me upgrade ...) That groovypost link is not applicable as English is already "installed", but that doesn't seem to mean that I can get all the menus, dialogs, etc. to be in English.

If worst comes to worst, I can use the license key on my current system, which will be deprecated, perhaps becoming an Ubuntu box. Or perhaps find a license from some Russian hacker site.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    so far it looks like HansKK is correct in that I only have a Russian license
    Unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    If worst comes to worst, I can use the license key on my current system
    Sometimes $h!t happens, and license keys of different languages don't fit.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

I bought a windows compy some years back. It was in Russian and had an official copy of Windows. I thought I could pay more for the upgrade and switch it to English. I got caught in an endless Microsoft webpage loop that always crashed. I never got it into English. I didn't care, it worked for what I needed it to but I was pretty surprised. I thought for sure since it was original and licensed, I was part of the Microsoft family. Hahahaha- the joke was on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I also thought this, but a few months ago a project came up and I spent a lot of time on Macs. I was blown away by how much they crash. But they sure are pretty!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (23-05-2018), Uncle Wally (23-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Sometimes $h!t happens, and license keys of different languages don't fit.
    Yes, that is life with MS.
    I would try to install Windows 7, but I am also old and out of fashion, but if W7 will install (there is something about BIOS settings here) and you can get drivers then the license, you can't find no matter how hard your search,will result in a desktop background that is black and some nag text box now and then "warning" you about the danger in life regarding using sw without the right license.

I am lazy, I do not bother to punch in that stupid license code, so I stay with black background at my desktop's, for some odd reason I am fine without a picture of a funny dog/cat/what-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I was blown away by how much they crash.
    Although MacOS is based on somewhat xBSD, contemporary tendencies of saving costs on code compilation in Bangalore and China lead... Yes, there.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (23-05-2018), Hans.KK (22-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I also thought this, but a few months ago a project came up and I spent a lot of time on Macs. I was blown away by how much they crash. But they sure are pretty!
    i wonder what you use the MAC for? or how you use it? fair enough I use mine -only- for personal things. no big graphics, no games, no fancy downloads. though for work i have some 10 000 technical cards, menus,food photoes and other work related things. never any problem.
    the only thing i do not have is an accumulator back up. i did not buy one when they were available at Media Markt because they were so expensive, that time. In our building there is lots of construction going on, does happen frequently power goes off for a minute or so. so i set the -save- not every 3 minutes. but every minute. when typing menus or the likes. and a crash, where everything just drops and goes black, never happened to me. maybe the older Mac's,mine is a mid 2007 already, were constructed sturdier than the new ones?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast