Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Lost Migration Card+Expired Registration+May 13th Visa border hop

Lost Migration Card+Expired Registration+May 13th Visa border hop

I am from the United States. I'm on a 3 year, multiple-entry tourist visa and I've recently lost my migration card. To further complicate the matter I sublet a room and I'm not on the contract so I didn't get registered to this address. And my visa allows me to be in Russia for 6 month periods of time. And my 6 months are up on May 13. But I can't leave Russia without a migration card. But I have to leave Russia because of my visa. And I can't get registration without a migration card.

So. I'm trying not to panic. But time is running out. And with the holidays being near it makes things even worse. I first went to an FMS office by царицыно. But my initial registration was by Кузнецкий Мост. So they had told me I need to go the the иммиграция служба of the area in which I was registered. So I searched Кузнецкий Мост for the nearest immigration office. And I had ended up at a private office with immigration lawyers who had suggested I go to the government office located at Большой Палашевский переулок 7/2.

So the main questions are:

1.Can this immigration office give me a replacement immigration card so I can exit Russia?
    2.Should I go to the police station? (Because if I do go to the police station and tell them I don't have the necessary documents, does that mean I just go to jail until I get them? Or is there some way they could just help me get them replaced?
    3. I didn't get registered at the place I am staying because I thought it would cause problems with the landlord and jeopardize my ability to stay there. My roommate told me they would wonder why I wasn't registered, so is it better for me to tell them about subletting an apartment, or should I just say I was staying at a friend's place? Thanks.

You forgot to use the search function on this forum?
    This matter had bed a subject many times before, so please use the time needed to read relevant post on this forum, it is not smart just posting "Help me" without doing just a minimum of research on your own first.

Actually I am speaking to my friend who is a local police officer who is speaking to a lawyer. I had my friend make a post in expat facebook forum while I wait to be accepted in the group. I have searched various websites including this forum. The situation with a lost migration card AND expired registration doesn't seem to come up as much.

Quote Originally Posted by ds0560 View Post
    Actually I am speaking to my friend who is a local police officer who is speaking to a lawyer. I had my friend make a post in expat facebook forum while I wait to be accepted in the group. I have searched various websites including this forum. The situation with a lost migration card AND expired registration doesn't seem to come up as much.

well, i suppose you are not a little kid anymore but a grown up person. and should know the laws of the country. American passport or not.
    worst thing that could happen to you, you get a nice stamp in your passport. - 5 years no return-.
    -no registration-, a protocol will be made. MBD will fingerprint you, make a nice photo. you get a fine between 5000 and 8000 Rubles. you also have to do quite some writing in Russian language. if you can not do that, they will get you a translator, which will cost you THEIR hourly rate. your situation might weigh more heavily because you -only- sublet. another thing will be for sure.
    they will get your landlord as well.
    because the receiver wants to have his tax back.
    and he/she will most probably will get a fine as well.
    for failing to register you. for declaring to rent the place.
    for failing to pay tax....

good luck to both of you.
    why and how do i know? because i am here a long time and got myself informed...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

The situation with a lost migration card AND expired registration doesn't seem to come up as much.
    Then take then as separated issues. Lost migration card is a no brainer, just go and ask for a new one, it may take more that one visit and it may cost both time and money, and if it was me I would just leave without migration card and take the hassle if it turns up, but we are all different. And it is not you that should do the registration it is your host.

So the main questions are:

1.Can this immigration office give me a replacement immigration card so I can exit Russia?
    2.Should I go to the police station? (Because if I do go to the police station and tell them I don't have the necessary documents, does that mean I just go to jail until I get them? Or is there some way they could just help me get them replaced?
    3. I didn't get registered at the place I am staying because I thought it would cause problems with the landlord and jeopardize my ability to stay there. My roommate told me they would wonder why I wasn't registered, so is it better for me to tell them about subletting an apartment, or should I just say I was staying at a friend's place? Thanks.
    You were supposed to register within 7 business days after arriving in Russia. If your landlord refuse to register you then you should stay at a hotel/hostel for one night and they will register you or the inviting party, host or agency that issued you the invitation for your visa. Never listen to your friends or landlords and that's why there are rules on Russian embassy website in regards to registration and migration card rules. Your friends won't get in trouble but you will if you don't follow the rules to the letter.

You will have to go to FMS to sort this out and pay fines, and don't try to leave Russia as passport control will block you from leaving Russia until this is resolved. Worst thing can happen is 5 year ban from Russia or visa renewal will be denied.
    Last edited by Remington; 29-04-2018 at 13:31.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (29-04-2018)

And it is not you that should do the registration it is your host.[/QUOTE]

of course it is not - you - who does the registration. the landlord has to do it. together with -you- at the post office. but that also means that the landlord will have to pay tax on his extra income. and many just do not want to do it. many a scrupulous landlord has also 5 or 10 people living at his palce. no registration will ever accept that.ALSO the registration will go to the housing estate. and the landlord will be charged for water, electricity, gas and so forth, for the number of people that are registered at his place. as long as there are no meters in your place, you also pay for these -illegals- living there. because the amount used will be , after deducting the metered readings, divided and paid for by the rest of the people who still might have no meters....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....