English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: first e Busses in Moscow this summer!

first e Busses in Moscow this summer!

got this in my email. just like to share the good news

http://micetimes.asia/first-buses-wi...in-the-summer/

most of the existing trolleys were indeed old clunkers. and have worked well over their useful life.
    and while it is nice to see that they are not being replaced by (still) smelly and smoking diesel busses, one should also think about where the electricity comes from. from power stations that are still of CCCP origin. and they also for sure need an upgrade or replacement for something more clean?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    one should also think about where the electricity comes from. from power stations that are still of CCCP origin. and they also for sure need an upgrade or replacement for something more clean?
    There should be more done, I agree, but there have been a lot of upgrades. From what I can tell, the last major power plant near Moscow running on coal is Kashirskaya and it will shut its only remaining coal 'blok' in Jan 2019, after Jan 2020 only the newest gas-fired blok will remain.

There is a small plant in Shatura which used to be peat-fired, some coal, but I believe uses mostly natural gas now, too.

The biggest and dirtiest generating plants are mostly out in Siberia/Far East, a big one near Ekaterinburg. Same thing with rebuilding existing plants, there are some older ones but there has also been a fair amount of renewal. COuntry-wide coal is less than 20% of total electricity generation.

Since many of the gas-fired plants are combined-cycle (electricity with 'excess' heat used for heat), they have a pretty good efficiency level. [Whoops I should have said combined heat and power for district heat - combined cycle is a bit different]

Still a lot to do but I'd say diesel trucks and buses and cars are a bigger problem pollution-wise in this part of the country than power generation.

[Upgrades of power plants are really important but for the gas-fired ones it's more about efficiency and economics than pollution, although that will improve too. People in Moscow see the white plumes from the power plants and cooling towers but the white stuff is mostly steam/water vapour.]

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (16-04-2018), Benedikt (16-04-2018), nicklcool (17-04-2018), TolkoRaz (16-04-2018)