Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Was planning St Pete in July - still possible with world cup going on?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0

    Was planning St Pete in July - still possible with world cup going on?

    Hello,

    I was planning on spending July in St Pete, first time in Russia, having a blast with my friend, but then I learnt about the world cup...

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...football-fans/

    Games in St Pete, in July are on 3rd/10th/14th. I don't know if football fans usually stick for the whole time or just come around game days...in any case, worst case scenario, is it thinkable to stay somewhere reachable by metro, even if a bit far? Are all hotels going to be taken and prices impossible? Should I change my plans?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Moscow/Russia
    Posts
    18,455
    Thanked: 3709
    yes,yes,yes!!!!!!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by petermcsage View Post
    Hello,

    I was planning on spending July in St Pete, first time in Russia, having a blast with my friend, but then I learnt about the world cup...

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...football-fans/

    Games in St Pete, in July are on 3rd/10th/14th. I don't know if football fans usually stick for the whole time or just come around game days...in any case, worst case scenario, is it thinkable to stay somewhere reachable by metro, even if a bit far? Are all hotels going to be taken and prices impossible? Should I change my plans?

    Thanks!
    World Cup is a blast. I've been to two and it's a great way to engage with cultures you'd otherwise might not encounter, particularly with African nations. My concern is that Russian police will overdo it, fearing a repeat of '16 Eurocup. As for accomodations, I've no idea. I've heard that some large groups are just flying in for the games and using places like Prague to setup base camp. Brazilian and Argentinian fans probably don't want to book a month in Moscow/St. Pete.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:

    petermcsage (15-04-2018)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0
    And the British?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ALWAYS in trouble.....
    Posts
    18,370
    Thanked: 5322
    Just a taster....................

    https://www.youtube.com/embed/4EoUz39nPMM
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!


  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Just a taster....................

    https://www.youtube.com/embed/4EoUz39nPMM
    Soooooo nice....

    Plus...I'll be able to kite surf!

    Do you guys think that even places far away by metro will be taken because of fooball?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TPE
    Posts
    20,958
    Thanked: 2704
    Quote Originally Posted by petermcsage View Post
    Do you guys think that even places far away by metro will be taken because of fooball?
    No ideas, to be honest. In general, SPb is much more tourist- and visitor-oriented, than Moscow (and yet since USSR times). When Moscow's Mayor was picking nose, thinking about how to build circle roads and restore Christ-the-Saviour temple, ppl in SPb started to organize mini-hotels and fully succeeded.
    The same with eating places - 3-5 times more points, than in Moscow, for any wallet thickness.

    I'd recommend you to dig Booking.com for yor selected dates and book somewhere they allow late cancelation. You won't loose anything this way.

    Last year I booked an apartment in quiet place, 10 min walk from Technolozhka (subway station of red and blue lines cross), and it costed me > 2 times cheaper than any hotel (but more expensive, than doubledeck bed in a hostel/dorm , one night card-to-card prepayment, and the rest in cash).

    They have public transport ticketing, similar to Moscow's one (plastic card with 5-10-20+ trips) and rather cheap taxis -
    I used https://taxovichkof.ru - though no ideas if they speak English. But you can also use Gett, Uber and Yandex.Taxi instead.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,455
    Thanked: 381
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    ... though no ideas if they speak English.
    Some do, just Google "English speaking taxi, St. Petersburg, Russia", and they will turn up, those with prices on there web site looks ..... like they will make a good deal for the taxi company and the driver, but they exist and there phone operators should also speak English, but as long one moves inside the inner KAD I see no reason to use taxi, Metro and bus/trolleybus/tram/shoes will do fine.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

    FatAndy (17-04-2018), Uncle Wally (16-04-2018)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0
    Thanks for the great info!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    161
    Thanked: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by petermcsage View Post
    And the British?
    I lived 10 years in a major European capitol and never once had a problem with British football fans. The British government tries to restrict their movement and many are prohibitted from leaving the country during international matches. I know of no such measures on the part of the Russian government. In fact, after the Russian/English riot in Marseille 2016, the British government and media expressed outrage about English behavior. The Russian media and politicans on the other hand were quite proud that their fans fought with hammers and crowbars, leaving two British fans in a coma. Draw what conclusions you may.

  13. #11
    Judge's Avatar
    Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    19,320
    Thanked: 3390
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    I lived 10 years in a major European capitol and never once had a problem with British football fans. The British government tries to restrict their movement and many are prohibitted from leaving the country during international matches. I know of no such measures on the part of the Russian government. In fact, after the Russian/English riot in Marseille 2016, the British government and media expressed outrage about English behavior. The Russian media and politicans on the other hand were quite proud that their fans fought with hammers and crowbars, leaving two British fans in a coma. Draw what conclusions you may.
    The Russian government is cracking down on hooligans.

    Russian football ultras complain of pressure and harassment by security agencies ahead of Russia 2018.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...083901797.html

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TPE
    Posts
    20,958
    Thanked: 2704
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    The Russian government is cracking down on hooligans.


    https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...083901797.html
    Damned rotten regime has even issued the special security law on the Championship dates: http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Docu...=0&rangeSize=1
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    22
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Damned rotten regime has even issued the special security law on the Championship dates: http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Docu...=0&rangeSize=1
    What does it mean concretely?

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    TPE
    Posts
    20,958
    Thanked: 2704
    Quote Originally Posted by petermcsage View Post
    What does it mean concretely?
    Just increased security measures - forbidding to load/unload dangerous substances in ports and railway stations near cities where the championship will go, closing/restricting air space and water spaces access nearby, restricting private transportations (especially buses/trucks), forbidding public meetings (non-related to sporting thematics), increased police/security personnel presence everywhere etc. etc.
    So everything to suffocate "freedom", "democracy" and "values" Get you in horror with Google translate or how it is called...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

    Hans.KK (19-04-2018)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •