Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Russian 3 Year Multi Entry "Private" (частная) Visa for US Citizens

Russian 3 Year Multi Entry "Private" (частная) Visa for US Citizens

I'm considering getting a Russian 3 year multi entry "private" (частная) visa.

As I understand my wife who is a Russian citizen should write an invitation letter for me.

Does anyone know the format of this letter (i.e. content and form of the invitation letter she should write) ?

Thanks in advance for your help

What is your citizenship?

The regulations showing how to issue such an invitation are on MVD's site. Suggest your Russian wife read the following:

https://мвд.рф/Deljatelnost/emvd/guv...рф

Here is a site showing all the kinds of Russian visas you can get. I looked at having my wife issue a personal invitation to me about two years ago but it turned out to be too much of a hassle. As far as I know, it still is. This was written in October 2017 and I've copied and pasted the relevant bits. You need to check that the content of what is shown below is still true. My bet is your decision will be to get a tourist or business visa.

https://waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Types.html

Personal / Private Russian Visa

This type of visa is given to the foreigners who come to Russia for a personal visit (friends, relatives etc.) It can be valid for up to 3 months and is single entry only. This is the worst kind of visa you can apply for.

To obtain this visa, you need a personal invitation certificate (or visa entitlement certificate - "izveshchenie") from a person living in Russia. Sorry, but it will be a real pain in the ass for your friend to make this invitation certificate for you. This person should go to a local OVIR office (something like immigration officials), stand in a long queue, get an application form, fill it in, pay a processing fee (about $30 US - always changing), and wait for about 45 (!) days until the immigration officials will check him (the person who's inviting you) and you. I don't know what they check, but I guess they're looking for some serious stuff like terrorism or spying -- there's no other reason for it to take 30 days. I even think they'll quiz Interpol and the FBI about you too...

So, after all this is finished (hopefully with success), the UVIR officials will give your friend an invitation (after he stands in a long queue again). This invitation can only be sent to you by post, because consulates accept originals only. It can't be faxed or e-mailed or telexed. So, all in all, it'll take about 14 days for it to arrive by post (or 1 day if it's sent by express post, but then it'll cost $50 or so). Then you can take it along with other documents needed to the consulate, and apply for your private visa. It'll cost you the same as the other ones.
    So, I think you understand why most of the people prefer getting a tourist or a business visa instead...
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 10-03-2018 at 23:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Moskvazayets View Post
    I'm considering getting a Russian 3 year multi entry "private" (частная) visa.

As I understand my wife who is a Russian citizen should write an invitation letter for me.

Does anyone know the format of this letter (i.e. content and form of the invitation letter she should write) ?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Don't have the format but an Invitation letter from your wife on your behalf should include,

- full names
    - date of birth
    - citizenship
    - passport number
    - address of registration
    - address of the actual residence of the hosting individual,
    - purpose of travel
    - requested period of entry,
    - location of intended residence of the visa applicant; and the cities to be visited

I find Russian embassies quite friendly, you can request the invitation letter format directly from them through email.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    What is your citizenship?
    He wrote in the thread title that he wants the 3 year visa for US citizens, so there aren't that many options when guessing his citizenship...

Which in turn means that everything you wrote about doing the invitation through OVIR doesn't apply to his case, for the 3 year visa a Russian citizen only needs to go to a notary and make a notarized invitation.

Tiancai, right you are. Moskvazayets is a US citizen. Missed that, thanks.

However, I understand that an invitation from a Russian citizen has to be submitted at office of ГУВМ МВД РФ where the person is registered. There is a special form involved. It takes some time for the invitation to be accepted, during which time all the person receiving the visa can do is wait. It's a bit of a cumbersome process. That's my understanding.

I'm now interested because I'd like to invite an American relative to visit us this summer. I have Russian citizenship. If the process is easy, I'll invite him personally. So far, it seems like it's not so simple...

However, I understand that an invitation from a Russian citizen has to be submitted at office of ГУВМ МВД РФ where the person is registered. There is a special form involved. It takes some time for the invitation to be accepted, during which time all the person receiving the visa can do is wait. It's a bit of a cumbersome process. That's my understanding.

I'm now interested because I'd like to invite an American relative to visit us this summer. I have Russian citizenship. If the process is easy, I'll invite him personally. So far, it seems like it's not so simple...
    For U.S. citizens (and ONLY for U.S. citizens) Russia allows for a notarized invitation instead of the FMS/ГУВМ МВД РФ one, which makes the process heck of a lot simpler. If you were told by ГУВМ МВД РФ that you need to do an invitation like for all other foreigners, it is because the person who told you doesn't know about the special rules for Americans.

Here's a sample of what the invitation should look like, you can do it at any Russian notary, or at a Russian consulate if you're not in Russia.
    NYC Russian consulate website sample

Tiancai, thanks! That's great to know.

Does it only work for relatives? Or can a non-relative American citizen be invited by a Russian citizen?

Does it only work for relatives? Or can a non-relative American citizen be invited by a Russian citizen?
    Any Russian citizen can invite any American citizen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiancai For This Useful Post:

xt-tsi (13-03-2018)

instructions for private visa

Quote Originally Posted by Tiancai View Post
    Any Russian citizen can invite any American citizen.
    This web site shows the instructions and forms for a RU citizen to invite a US citizen for issuance of either a 90 day or 3 year private visa.

http://ils-usa.com/page/73?domain=5&language=10

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (15-03-2018)

Ive done it twice in 5 years...

anyone can invite.....try using LIga

Quote Originally Posted by finnandcork View Post
    anyone can invite.....try using LIga
    I second this. I've used Liga and Vadim before and found him to be a really fair guy. But question - is there a cheaper option than using his invite + the Lithuanian run? Can you use his invite and get a passport at any RU embassy in say, Prague or Kiev?