Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changed Router to МГТС from AKADO, and now can't print

Quote Originally Posted by BelindaG View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand 100% because if I take the printer-router cable out of the printer and try to plug it into my Mac, there is no port on the Mac that will take this cable. It looks a little like a plug-in for a telephone, and my Mac has no such port
    The cable plugs looks like this:
    rj45.jpg, I do not know that much about Mac's but there may be a port for this plug on your Mac, it may be a small lid/door you have to slide/open, but it all depend on you model, Mac appears not to be one specific "thing", I even see that one can get an "USB3-to-gigabit" external adaptors, that could indicate that some Mac are without an option to connect to a cabled network, if that is what you got then we are out of luck that way.

The reason for trying to use only the cabled network is that here can be some routing (maybe even firewall in you router) issues from your WiFi to the cable side on your router, different brands and models of routers implement this in different ways, some times one have to tick a box somewhere in the routers web admin interface to make access between these two network.
    You may not know but you may have 3 networks on your router, one from your ISP, and your WiFi network, and you cabled network, but you can also have two networks, one from your ISP, and your combined WiFi and cabled network, it just differ from router to router, in short it may be a problem with internal routing inside your router, or it could be something else, right now it is a bit tricky to investigate if we can't connect you Mac to your printer with a cable, sorry.

The goal was to eliminate the router from the setup, and if printer-connected-directly-to-Mac was working, then it must be a router issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

BelindaG (02-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    I do not know that much about Mac's but there may be a port for this plug on your Mac
    Macbook Airs don't have ethernet ports (need an adapter like USB to ethernet), I think more recent Macbook Pros don't have them either. So basically if Belinda's mac laptop is fairly new, probably doesn't have ethernet.

(I have a macbook air and this annoyed me at first; but reality is, I've never, ever needed it)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

BelindaG (02-03-2018), Hans.KK (01-03-2018)

Yes I can print now that I have the cable, but this doesn't help me as the printer is very inconveniently located, near the front door, on the floor in a cupboard, under a shelf, and it's heavy and cumbersome. (HP Laserjet CM1415fn)

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    Apologies; didn't see you had a cable to connect direclty from computer to the printer.

Now: using that cable - can you print now?

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
    It has no Ethernet ports.

Macbook Airs don't have ethernet ports (need an adapter like USB to ethernet), I think more recent Macbook Pros don't have them either. So basically if Belinda's mac laptop is fairly new, probably doesn't have ethernet.

(I have a macbook air and this annoyed me at first; but reality is, I've never, ever needed it)

Thanks Hans.
    So it's a router issue then, because I do have a cable connecting Mac to Printer, and it works.
    Now I just need to convince MGTS that it's a router problem.
    (I can access the MGTS router by logging in, but it's all gibberish to me. I see all the firewall stuff that you speak of, and boxes checked or not checked.... but don't want to touch anything, as I don't have a clue what I'm doing.)

The cable plugs looks like this:
    rj45.jpg, I do not know that much about Mac's but there may be a port for this plug on your Mac, it may be a small lid/door you have to slide/open, but it all depend on you model, Mac appears not to be one specific "thing", I even see that one can get an "USB3-to-gigabit" external adaptors, that could indicate that some Mac are without an option to connect to a cabled network, if that is what you got then we are out of luck that way.

The reason for trying to use only the cabled network is that here can be some routing (maybe even firewall in you router) issues from your WiFi to the cable side on your router, different brands and models of routers implement this in different ways, some times one have to tick a box somewhere in the routers web admin interface to make access between these two network.
    You may not know but you may have 3 networks on your router, one from your ISP, and your WiFi network, and you cabled network, but you can also have two networks, one from your ISP, and your combined WiFi and cabled network, it just differ from router to router, in short it may be a problem with internal routing inside your router, or it could be something else, right now it is a bit tricky to investigate if we can't connect you Mac to your printer with a cable, sorry.

The goal was to eliminate the router from the setup, and if printer-connected-directly-to-Mac was working, then it must be a router issue.

So it's a router issue then,
    From what we know now it looks to be the case, something with the router one way or an other.

because I do have a cable connecting Mac to Printer, and it works.
    And this cable is a USB cable.
    If the router has an USB port you may be able to connect the printer to the router that way, and then you router will be a printer-server too, and for you to use the printer that way you need to know that the IP for printing will be the routers IP, but this demand that the router can act as a printer-server (go search in the routers setup), and there is a USB port on the router. You may not be able to use scanning function on the printer this way.

Now I just need to convince MGTS that it's a router problem.
    And here we have to wish you luck, it is not that they can't help, but they only escalate the case to a qualified person when they are confident that the problem is on there side, and first line support often sucks, sorry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

BelindaG (02-03-2018)

Yes I can print now that I have the cable, but this doesn't help me as the printer is very inconveniently located, near the front door, on the floor in a cupboard, under a shelf, and it's heavy and cumbersome. (HP Laserjet CM1415fn)
    Glad you can at least print when urgently needed, even if inconvenient.

Have you tried the various HP helpdesk instructions, e.g.
    https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c04249334

Yes, I see there is a USB port on the router. So I could use this cable that I have to connect the printer to the router, but then, from what I can understand I'll have to change the IP for the printer again, manually, so it's the same as the router.

I'm going to try and call MGTS again first though and hope to get through to someone who can help me(?)

Have a great day! And thanks.

From what we know now it looks to be the case, something with the router one way or an other.

And this cable is a USB cable.
    If the router has an USB port you may be able to connect the printer to the router that way, and then you router will be a printer-server too, and for you to use the printer that way you need to know that the IP for printing will be the routers IP, but this demand that the router can act as a printer-server (go search in the routers setup), and there is a USB port on the router. You may not be able to use scanning function on the printer this way.

And here we have to wish you luck, it is not that they can't help, but they only escalate the case to a qualified person when they are confident that the problem is on there side, and first line support often sucks, sorry.

Yes, the support document was my first port of call. I've also spoken to a HP techi. He was really helpful and at least seemed to understand the issue. I gave him remote access to the machine, and he spent a lot of time with me. He confirmed that it definitely a router problem. I just keep getting some devushka who is insistent that if I have WIFI working, then there's nothing wrong with the router.

Glad you can at least print when urgently needed, even if inconvenient.

Have you tried the various HP helpdesk instructions, e.g.
    https://support.hp.com/hk-en/document/c04249334

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BelindaG For This Useful Post:

Armoured (02-03-2018)

Yes, the support document was my first port of call. I've also spoken to a HP techi. He was really helpful and at least seemed to understand the issue. I gave him remote access to the machine, and he spent a lot of time with me. He confirmed that it definitely a router problem. I just keep getting some devushka who is insistent that if I have WIFI working, then there's nothing wrong with the router.
    I don't really want to speculate as the things I can think of don't make much sense to me.

1) Did the HP guy give any information or hint as to what kind of setting on router could be causing this problem? Would help in getting better assistance from MGTS.
    2) You might want to think about Hans' suggestion of attaching your own router to the MGTS router. The apple extreme or express routers (12k and 6k roubles respectively) are very simple to use and in my experience incredibly reliable. THere are more advanced and cheaper routers out there, but for simple bulletproof operation in a flat, I haven't found anything better. (Basically you would plug your router into MGTS' and then make all your gear log in to that router, not MGTS). This shouldn't be necessary but personally I think all the internet providers do weird things with their routers and bad service to resolve the issues (that they create). YMMV.

I don't really want to speculate as the things I can think of don't make much sense to me.

1) Did the HP guy give any information or hint as to what kind of setting on router could be causing this problem? Would help in getting better assistance from MGTS.
    No, when I asked him to, he said, he doesn't know the settings of the router, but something is interfering or stopping it from connecting. MGTS ask "What something?"
    2) You might want to think about Hans' suggestion of attaching your own router to the MGTS router. The apple extreme or express routers (12k and 6k roubles respectively) are very simple to use and in my experience incredibly reliable. Thanks, I'll look at this. THere are more advanced and cheaper routers out there, but for simple bulletproof operation in a flat, I haven't found anything better. (Basically you would plug your router into MGTS' and then make all your gear log in to that router, not MGTS). This shouldn't be necessary but personally I think all the internet providers do weird things with their routers and bad service to resolve the issues (that they create). YMMV.

Just spoken to MGTS again. The switched everything off on their end. Asked me to wait 5 minutes and then try again. Of course the problem still persisted.
    I called back and a different devushka investigated further and I was told that the IP address of my printer should be the same as that of my router, and that's why it doesn't work.(?!?!?!) This is contrary to everything I've heard from everyone here, and I told her that it didn't sound right. She promised to send me a link explaining this. www.wifika.ru What a load of rubbish. I give up with MGTS.
    Last edited by BelindaG; 02-03-2018 at 13:21.

I called back and a different devushka investigated further and I was told that the IP address of my printer should be the same as that of my router, and that's why it doesn't work.(?!?!?!) This is contrary to everything I've heard from everyone here, and I told her that it didn't sound right. She promised to send me a link explaining this. www.wifika.ru What a load of rubbish. I give up with MGTS.
    It does sound like rubbish. The printer should be showing in some field that it knows the IP address of the router, but that's usually in a field called 'router', and since your printer has properly asked for and received an IP number (from the router), that part clearly working.

Sorry, out of ideas.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

BelindaG (02-03-2018)

I have called MGTS about 15 times trying to convince them that that the problem lies with their router. Somebody told me that it there was info on a certain techi forum (www.4pda.ru - check it out) that mentions that my particular model router is problematic. The problem was trying to get this message across to MGTS, and getting past the devushkas at gate-control who kept telling me to turn everything off and turn it back on again!!

EVENTUALLY, on Sunday, I got hold of a techi there who admitted that they are having a problem with my particular model router (ZTE F670) and that this is why it is not "seeing" my printer. They said that they are working on the problem from their side and that it should be resolved by 21 March.

Thanks all for your time and for trying to help me! I learnt a great deal!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BelindaG For This Useful Post:

Armoured (13-03-2018), Hans.KK (13-03-2018)

Hi BelindaG,

Did you fix the printing problem?

Hi there digit!
    No. Sadly the problem remains the same. A few weeks ago MGTS told me that it should work ok after the 21st of March, but I got back to Moscow yesterday and I tried to get it sorted out today, without success. I now need to call MGTS and try to explain the whole story again.

Quote Originally Posted by digit View Post
    Hi BelindaG,

Did you fix the printing problem?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast