English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Spare Ribs!!

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........

Spare Ribs!!

Seems that there is more and more choice of ribs in shops these days, Miratorg leading the way, other names too, what surprised me was the price, relatively cheap, just bought 500g Miratorg ribs 179ru, their marinated ones go for double or more, obviously it's best to marinate yourself.

With Shashliki season in full swing soon, I'm working on my dry rub,so far pepper,salt, paprika (for colour), then with 30mins or so to go, BBQ sauce all over and cook some more..Tried with honey other day, came out good,also, in shops you can buy proper American Smokey BBQ sauce for about 250ru, bargain!!

Just bought 500g of Miratorg ribs for 140ru, they are basically giving it away...
    This was at Perekrestok, places like Auchan might be even cheaper..

I've also noticed Miratorg is moving in on the pelmeni market, will have to try one day...
    Last edited by Judge; 20-02-2018 at 12:06.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (20-02-2018)

Yeah I've been eyeing those ribs but I'll wait until the season opens. Got some cheap but good pork steaks yesterday.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yeah I've been eyeing those ribs but I'll wait until the season opens. Got some cheap but good pork steaks yesterday.
    Sure, best on a outside grill, but can be done in the oven, wrap well in foil, for a good hour, see when meat is pulling away from the bone , a good sign for when they are done, unwrap ,smoother with BBQ sauce back in oven unwrapped for 15 mins.
    Get working on your dry rub..

You never know, when it's closer to the season they might put up prices..

Funny you mentioned pork steaks, got a couple all rubbed up ready to go in oven, bought from Magnet, 170 Ru for two decent size,throw some veg in with that, not bad meal for two for under 300ru..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (20-02-2018)

I got mine for 149, 400g at Perekrestok. Two thin steaks, were pretty good too.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Judge (20-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Just bought 500g of Miratorg ribs for 140ru, they are basically giving it away...
    This was at Perekrestok, places like Auchan might be even cheaper..

I've also noticed Miratorg is moving in on the pelmeni market, will have to try one day...

pelmeni shaped like these are no pelmeni . also the dough to meat ratio is far to big. Pelmeni must have less dough and more meat. 60 meat and 40 dough is the proper proportion.
    cheap ribs? sure. russia cuts the pork loin with short ribs. not with long ones like the -Germans do. therefore lots of belly left over. to make Bacon. and the ribs have to be flogged. for -cheap- check out also the ingredients list on the Pelmeni. just because it says -pork- does not mean it has to be MEAT... can and is anything. I will check on ROSKONTROL if i find something...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkllmK-uSnU these are Tortellini
    https://yandex.ru/images/search?text...=simage&lr=213
    russian style cut pork loin. lots of belly,lots of ribs. no nice porkchop...https://yandex.ru/images/search?text...=simage&lr=213
    German style cut of porkloin-chops. lots of meat, long bone. NICE spare ribs will be only one -stripe- out of the belly.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Judge (20-02-2018), Uncle Wally (20-02-2018)

Hey, now that you mention bacon, it was 99 rubles for 400g. Uncooked of course. But I like that!

Hey, now that you mention bacon, it was 99 rubles for 400g. Uncooked of course. But I like that!
    cook it. if it splatters when it is being fried, it was injected with a saline solution to make it bigger. if it does NOT change shape, that is the size of a rasher is more or less the same size after grilling, a -thickening- agent was added, so the saline solution does not get -lost- during cooking. 99 rubles for 400 grams is technically impossible. either it was a -loss leader-. or made artificially double the size. i do not want a spoilsport, but this sounds to good to be true...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (20-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    cook it. if it splatters when it is being fried, it was injected with a saline solution to make it bigger. if it does NOT change shape, that is the size of a rasher is more or less the same size after grilling, a -thickening- agent was added, so the saline solution does not get -lost- during cooking. 99 rubles for 400 grams is technically impossible. either it was a -loss leader-. or made artificially double the size. i do not want a spoilsport, but this sounds to good to be true...

I will check but when I cook it, it doesn't get smaller. This is the on sale price, it is usually 149. I think they are just try to get rid of it before it goes bad. It's pretty good bacon and could be only 300g but I don't really look that close. I just look at 99

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (20-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    They also sell "bacon", it is labelled as such, that is uncured and IS not bacon! Just fatty pieces of pork.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (21-02-2018), Uncle Wally (21-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    They also sell "bacon", it is labelled as such, that is uncured and IS not bacon! Just fatty pieces of pork.

Maybe that's what I'm buying don't know. It's just sliced like bacon and I cook it it looks like bacon.

Maybe that's what I'm buying don't know. It's just sliced like bacon and I cook it it looks like bacon.

Pork belly cured and smoked is considered in the culinaria as BACON. sliced and pre packed or as a whole slab, does not matter. if it is raw, or only cured it is not bacon. it is just pork belly.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (21-02-2018)