Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Catastrophically Fatal Plane Crash out of Domodedovo Airport Today :'(

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!

Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Catastrophically Fatal Plane Crash out of Domodedovo Airport Today :'(

It happened today, 71 killed, so sad, on it's way to Orsk, a city near the Kazahstan border, out of Domodedovo Airport:
    https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...moscow-reports

The article says the plane was onlyseven years old, that seems quite young, maybe the Russian jets are just built less durably?

Anyways, being raised a Roman Catholic, the answers my religion had for the age old question "why do bad things happen to good people?" (And vice versa) always felt lacking.

Advaita Vedanta, a branch of Hinduism, takes a pretty good stab at this, with my favorite response possibly being "[relax]. Nothing happens." :P

If you're curious about this, there's an excellent Swami at the Vedanta temple in DC, he was raised Catholic, too, more fundamentalist Catholic, actually, so his perspective on many of these topics is fascinating.

His name is Swami Chidbrahmananda; I find so many of his lectures fascinating, but here's his talk on the topic at hand: http://vedantadc.org/wisdom-perspect...hidbrahmananda

We cannot ease the family members' anguish, but Advaita Vedanta's perspective that we are all sent here to learn our lessons and work out our karma can give them understanding and maybe hope that their close ones worked out some of their lessons in this life, and can move on to the next set of lessons in their next one
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

mr krinkle (22-02-2018), Suuryaa (16-02-2018)

how often did we ask ourselves WHY does HE let children die ( of cancer, of injuries, of many other things that are not supposed to be). why does HE let things happen to good people while some scumbags will get away with anything and everything. HE is testing us, is very often the -standard- answer of some people who seem to mean good. and they start quoting of Hiob who was affected with all kinds of illnesses and plagues. or of Jonah who was swallowed by the whale and spit out 7 days later... Something for sure i can not accept...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

natlee (12-02-2018), Uncle Wally (12-02-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    .. HE is testing us, is very often the -standard- answer of some people who seem to mean good.
    But the real answer is that HE do not exist. Things, what vhat it may be, human, animals, etc. are random in all aspect, so random things do happen, it is very simple but often difficult to accept.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (12-02-2018), mr krinkle (22-02-2018)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    But the real answer is that HE do not exist. Things, what vhat it may be, human, animals, etc. are random in all aspect, so random things do happen, it is very simple but often difficult to accept.
    Well it could go either way, the universe might be G0D and His making, or it might be a bunch of random atoms that have conglomersted together
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

The article says the plane was only seven years old, that seems quite young, maybe the Russian jets are just built less durably?

according to the latest news on TV the cause of the crash has been established. Pilot error. he /forgot/ to switch on the heating /element/ on 3 valves that showed the real speed of the plane. these valves had iced up and could not work. result is known.unfortunately these valves are only working when a plane flies. so, no way to check beforehand, if these thing are working or not...

there was another accident like this. it is on /30 seconds to disaster/ or something like that. it shows accidents of planes but aso trains... a plane was standing on an airfield in /Africa/ for a few days. and wasps flew into these valves and started to build nests there. the consequences were horrible. hat off to the investigators who did not give up. and were not happy with /pilot error/ as the airlines and plane manufacturers liked it to be.

Okay, so the Agnostic, the Atheist and the Scientist are all in a bar, see, and...
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

These questions are as old as Christianity, for it was the Christians who first insisted on God (Who is Jesus Christ as God the Son) being the essence of love.

The question, "How can God allow evil to happen?" is relatively simple for me. It's NOT merely about "testing us", which, yeah, is a simple and stupid answer.

God made us beings with free will. Either we are free, or we are not. If we are not free, then God is responsible. If we ARE, then we have to look to ourselves. The stance of all traditional Christianity is that we are free to choose, to make choices, including bad and evil ones. A murderer then, must be free to choose murder, if he can manage to do it and not be stopped. That's not God's fault. If you want to be free, you have to be free to make bad, stupid, wrong and evil choices.

Most events happen because of natural processes. God rarely intervenes. When He does, we call it "a miracle", because we KNOW it defies natural law. But He usually doesn't. He sees that what matters most of all is our eternal fate, not our temporal one here. Things go wrong because of natural processes, or human error or sin (a broken relationship with God, resulting in wanting wrong things). He set everything up to go right. But our ancestors chose sin, what they wanted over what their Father wanted, just like our own kids do. And there were real consequences - aging, illness, death. In the fullness of time, right smack dab in the middle of the highest civilization of the ancient world, in a time with plenty of recording and reporting going on, He came down Himself to take on our form and limitations, and resist sin, and die, and in dying, trampled down death by death in order to make it possible to reverse the error, sin and death, and ultimately restore us as we were originally meant to be. Unlike the pantheistic religions of the East, we do not become subsumed into some whole with the loss of our individual personality; the Christian hope is in the affirmation and restoration of our selves as they were always meant to be... but the catch is, we have to learn to recognize and hate our own sins (aka "repent") and call on His name to save us.

Evil things will continue to happen, because of sin, especially our own. The trouble is, it is so easy to see others' faults, and so hard to see our own. The person who is worst off is the one who thinks he or she is perfectly good, just fine, and in no need of either that "metanoia", change of heart and mind that leads us to see and hate our own selfishness.

"What goes around, comes around." If only we had the gift of seeing how evils we have done, even small ones, snowball and come back in the form of the sins of others to hurt and ruin our lives and the lives of those we love!

the third one downed yesterday. an army plane with 39 soldiers and crew on board. apparently no survivors.
    http://www.interaksyon.com/39-russia...shes-in-syria/
    another Antonov. i thought all the planes were grounded?

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People? Catastrophically Fatal Plane Crash out of Domodedovo Airport Today :'(
    Simply put,
    In Russia, health and safety is often overlooked.
    The next question is, Why?

Because in Russia there's rampant corruption and no rule of law. Frankly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Because in Russia there's rampant corruption and no rule of law. Frankly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
    If you follow the news, it happen often enough.
    I agree with the corruption part, much more needed to be done.
    We have seen improvement in many sectors, the airline industry needs an overall.

And corruption happens because of what...? (It helps to define a word clearly)

You can talk "corruption" all you want. But do you think the West will remain "uncorrupted"? Unless you know that corruption is caused by human sin and selfishness, you will always be flailing against it in vain. Goodness, virtue, and a belief in obedience to the law founded on a tradition that strives to pass only good laws doesn't flourish all by itself.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (07-03-2018)

There are no "bad things" that happen. Everything that happens in this life is good.

Try me on it.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    And corruption happens because of what...? (It helps to define a word clearly)

You can talk "corruption" all you want. But do you think the West will remain "uncorrupted"? Unless you know that corruption is caused by human sin and selfishness, you will always be flailing against it in vain. Goodness, virtue, and a belief in obedience to the law founded on a tradition that strives to pass only good laws doesn't flourish all by itself.
    Happens because of greed, which the system we have in place promotes.

With health and safety, what is the problem, insufficient training, lack of experts , care free attitude, regulations overlooked, where is the control?
    Could it be lack of competition,say if foreign airlines could fly domestically, they would give the local airlines stiff competition.

Of course there is corruption in the West, lots of it,but not that much when it comes to health and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

There is massive corruption in America. It is now a necessary part of how America works. It is inherent in a capitalist society but doesn't go over well in democracy. In Russia the corruption is just more basic but if you know how to play the game everything is there for the taking.

Take a good look at Amazon. It may not be all corruption but it is taking advantage of flaws in the system. It will ultimately (Amazon) destroy all competition.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast