Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looks like the site is slowly dying !

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Disqus is handy, many news media's use it, saves time having different logins for different sites. From the many articles, it always seems anything about Russia gets the most comments..

Another that many people use nowadays besides FB ,VK, Snapchat is Instagram, I've been using for business purposes for the last few months, posting same pics on FB and VK, and Instagram is where the actions is, all this # thingy is a very clever way of being seen.

Let's not forget, none of the above were around when expat.ru started, it's harder to attract and keep new members, however the site is still ticking along.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judge For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (07-03-2018), Uncle Wally (07-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I joined a very active forum discussion site called Disqus (disqus.com) and got addicted to bickering with people on it. Like others on the site, I use an assumed name. In a few rare instances I had some very insightful and fascinating discussions with folks whose views I disagreed with. It didn't happen very often. Mostly folks on Disqus trade similar (or exactly the same) insults over and over. Many in discussions would redirect discussions to attacking people based on who they are (liberal or conservative) without talking about facts, logic or backing up their points of view. Many of the arguments used are different kinds of tricks like deflection, whataboutism, personal attacks and all kinds of false logic. Often points of view are not defended but simply stated, over and over. Arguments would flare up using sources from the media. After some kind of an event, people on each side of the political divide would simply take the position provided to them by right or left wing media sources, depending on their political leanings. There was no real need for a discussion. All anyone needed to do was go to the media to find out what arguments people would soon be using in discussion forums like Disqus. Most of it is repeated almost verbatim. These days I simply read the news. If I make any comments, I do it under my own name.

A few of the folks on Disqus clearly had a prepared message that they would repeat over and over. Some of these people were amazingly active. I got into a discussion with someone who had made 30,000 comments over a two year period. That's about 80 per day. They were all listed on the site. The person commenting would simply copy and re-paste the same arguments over and over.

I convinced myself I was learning something and practicing my writing skills. Perhaps I did become well acquainted with some issues. On the other hand, I could have done the same thing by reading. These days, if I do comment on Disqus, I make one statement and never get into an argument. I try to put in facts. Mostly, though, I avoid it. In the past month I have made one comment but didn't read the answer from the person I responded to. I'm still itching to do it but am taking a few days off in Isreal with my family for the long weekend. They get irritated when I get going on Disqus. Like I say, it is addictive.

Ah, ha, ha, I use Diqusing for a couple of tech sites I follow. They suggested some more I might like to take part in. I lasted three days on a Ukrainian site (I think it was sponsored by Ukraine Today) it was at about my second post that I started to be called a "Russian Troll".

I am a 100% sure that the American government hires trolls and they are expected to make so many post per day, hence the same thing over and over again. It used to be that when someone started losing an argument on the internet they just called you a Nazi. Now Russia Troll is all the rage. Hey now that I just sit with me baby it's a great way to kill time. Wish I had a dollar for every time I've been called a Russian troll though.

Some may say this site is dying or dead but there are actually a lot of people peeping many do not post and are here only to find the info they need. This site could be modernise though. There are a few very valuable members that could turn this site around. It would take investment though. Don't thing that is going to happen.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Judge (07-03-2018), nicklcool (07-03-2018)

Trolls, they never sleep!

trol.jpg
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (07-03-2018)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Hey now that I just sit with me baby it's a great way to kill time. Wish I had a dollar for every time I've been called a Russian troll though.
    Careful Wally these little hellions of ours repeat EVERYTHING they hear or see us do. The wifey and I are really trying to limit our smartphone time so our daughter doesn't end up becoming a gadget-staring zombie like all the other kids.

Step one was turning off the notifications. We're like pavlov's dogs with the damn lights telling us if there's a new email or message (does anyone know a good Android app to do this? Still haven't gotten all the huzzes and notifications turned off).

But our laptop's broken and the iPad isn't turning out to be the PC replacement that Santa Claus (me) thought it would be, so we're using our smartphones like computers, lol.

Anyway, just a little friendly advice from a father of a toddler to a newborn dad, take it or leave it: careful how much she sees you with the phone. But I find it interesting the Steve jobs and all the other tech Titans refuse to give their children gadgets.
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (07-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by nicklcool View Post
    Careful Wally these little hellions of ours repeat EVERYTHING they hear or see us do. The wifey and I are really trying to limit our smartphone time so our daughter doesn't end up becoming a gadget-staring zombie like all the other kids.

Step one was turning off the notifications. We're like pavlov's dogs with the damn lights telling us if there's a new email or message (does anyone know a good Android app to do this? Still haven't gotten all the huzzes and notifications turned off).

But our laptop's broken and the iPad isn't turning out to be the PC replacement that Santa Claus (me) thought it would be, so we're using our smartphones like computers, lol.

Anyway, just a little friendly advice from a father of a toddler to a newborn dad, take it or leave it: careful how much she sees you with the phone. But I find it interesting the Steve jobs and all the other tech Titans refuse to give their children gadgets.

Ha, she's only 10 month old. I sing poopy bum bum songs to her all day and she just loves them! They go like,

Poopy bum bum

Poopy bum bum

Poopy bum bum bum

Or, my friends favorite.

No poo poo for papa

Oh No poo poo today

No poo poo for papa, mama threw my poo poo away!

No poo for papa

Oh no poo poo today!

No poo poo for papa, if you like poo poo you're gay!

No poo for papa,

I have a whole alBUM's worth!

But she doesn't get to see the phone much. I try to keep her occupied with other things. I'm tickling her with one hand and reading the news with the other. If I write she is not around. My friend took her 12 year old sons computer away 3 weeks ago. He is still going through withdrawal. She also took his iPad away and deletes games off his phone every day. It's really bad.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Oh and on a side note,

An iPad is not a computer and never was or will be. It's a big phone.

Now a tablet running Windows 10 is as close as you'll get, unless you buy a Microsoft Surface Book. It has the full power of a PC, has touch screen and works like a tablet. Yeah Apple is great but once you get to work you will be using Windows.

Have you ever heard of a Chromebook? No? I ask people here all the time and they don't know what I'm talking about. They are popular in the states though. Why? Because they're cheap and you can Google stuff but it ain't a computer.

Forget Apple man, they are just trying to get you stuck to only being able to buy Apple or lose all that time and money if you switch.

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Trolls, they never sleep!

trol.jpg

There ain't no rest for the wicked

Money don't grow on trees

We got bills to pay

We got mouths to feed

Noting in this world's for free

they got me

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Oh and on a side note,

An iPad is not a computer and never was or will be. It's a big phone.

Now a tablet running Windows 10 is as close as you'll get, unless you buy a Microsoft Surface Book. It has the full power of a PC, has touch screen and works like a tablet. Yeah Apple is great but once you get to work you will be using Windows.

Have you ever heard of a Chromebook? No? I ask people here all the time and they don't know what I'm talking about. They are popular in the states though. Why? Because they're cheap and you can Google stuff but it ain't a computer.

Forget Apple man, they are just trying to get you stuck to only being able to buy Apple or lose all that time and money if you switch.
    I agree Apple is a trap. However, they got me with their laptops. The MacBooks are simply much more reliable than any laptop I've ever used. I wouldn't have any other laptop than a MacBook. But for a phone I stick with an android.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (10-03-2018)

It has been 10 years, but I am back : - )

Quote Originally Posted by lonely_guy View Post
    It has been 10 years, but I am back : - )

Good to see ya, back where? Russia or forum or Russia and forum?

Some may say the site is dying but don't look now, there are 80 peeps, peeping the current affairs threads and 22 in the cafe.

Perhaps we need another form of Novichok!
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (16-03-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123