Brookes School        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Domestic connecting flights in Moscow

Domestic connecting flights in Moscow

I've flown into Moscow from the US many times in the past, and have flown domestically within Russia many times.

What I haven't done is fly to Moscow from the US and then take a connecting flight to another Russian airport (NYC-Moscow-Spb or NYC-Moscow-Ufa, for example)

Question is - where is the migration process done? In Moscow or the final destination airport? Where will my migration card be issued, passport stamped, etc.

Will my flight to the next airport be the same procedure as when I flew domestically from Moscow? (No new stamps or migration process, since no borders crossed)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom2623 View Post
    I've flown into Moscow from the US many times in the past, and have flown domestically within Russia many times.

What I haven't done is fly to Moscow from the US and then take a connecting flight to another Russian airport (NYC-Moscow-Spb or NYC-Moscow-Ufa, for example)

Question is - where is the migration process done? In Moscow or the final destination airport? Where will my migration card be issued, passport stamped, etc.

Will my flight to the next airport be the same procedure as when I flew domestically from Moscow? (No new stamps or migration process, since no borders crossed)

Thanks!
    I assume that you realise that Moscow is served by several different airports which means transiting out of one airport and perhaps spending a couple of hours travelling to another Moscow airport from one side of Moscow to the other side?

What is your intended flight route?

Map showing airports is below................ I suspect that you are most likely to use SVO, DME and VKO.......

map-moscow-airports.gif
    Last edited by TolkoRaz; 03-02-2018 at 22:33.
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

Tom2623 (03-02-2018)

You will go through passport control (migration) at the first Russian city you land in.

For example, let's say you fly NY - Moscow - Spb. You will go through migration in Moscow, pick up your luggage, take it through customs and check it back in for your flight to Spb.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Tom2623 (03-02-2018)

xt-tsi is correct.

I've done it, Chicago to Moscow to SPB and migration was done at Moscow and similarly on the way out. It's same as the USA, for international flights, you go through passport control and for domestic you don't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoverLearn For This Useful Post:

Tom2623 (03-02-2018)

Yes, arrival to Moscow, border and customs, baggage claim, lift up to departure zone (or to another airport) and check-in for domestic flight.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoverLearn View Post
    for international flights, you go through passport control and for domestic you don't.
    Depends. No border-crossing passport control, but your passport is checked at security checkpoint.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

FatAndy is right, a passport is shown as ID during the security check on internal flights but there is no passport control or customs in the RU before or after domestic flights.

As a side note, I just flew to Kiev via Minsk and back. This time we went through passport control. That's something new; in the past the flight to Minsk was the same as boarding a domestic flight. Not sure why. I used my RU passport for the first time. Felt strange.

We again went through passport control upon arrival at Domodedovo from Minsk.. This time I and my fellow RU citizens went through a separate line. We were all cleared through passport control in not time flat. Felt good.

Probably Belarus allowing visa free entry to many nationalities didn't go well with RF ..! ( Rightly so, as it undermines Russian rules )....Don't see any other reason ..!

This time I and my fellow RU citizens went through a separate line. We were all cleared through passport control in not time flat. Felt good.[/QUOTE]

It is the same when i fly to Vienna EU citizens go through a seperate line. And AUSTRIANS just open their passport, where the photo is. say guten Morgen, and off we go... 1 Minute or so, and we are out....also feels great.and now they are trying even something better and even more easy. just put the passport down on a /scanner/ and look into a /camera/. technic checks automatically if face and passport match. and of course if you're wanted by someone. IF you're in the system that is.... than the bells and whistles are coming on. and off you go with the law...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

That has to be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Indorus View Post
    Probably Belarus allowing visa free entry to many nationalities didn't go well with RF ..! ( Rightly so, as it undermines Russian rules )....Don't see any other reason ..!