English Nanny        British Lyceum in Moscow

Thread: Writing Circle

Writing Circle

Are there any other people out in Moscow that write and are looking for a group? I am. Whatever you writeónovels, poetry, short stories, scripts, anythingóitís good to have a group to share it with, to discuss, and to get feedback. Let me know if youíre interested! The format of the group can be really flexible, I know everyone probably has busy lives, so meet ups could be even once a month.

Groups are great not only for the feedback but also to keep a writer honest with themselves and stick to a deadline.

I know I canít be the only one looking for fellow writers! Comment below and letís get something started!

What kind of stuff do you write?
    Government is like Fertilizer. A little is good, too much is a pile of crap.

Im interested. I have never been part of a writers circle, but i do have two published books and am almost done with my third.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Im interested. I have never been part of a writers circle, but i do have two published books and am almost done with my third.
    Have you ever used fiverr.com?

Sure. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Sure. Why?
    Just interested in your opinion. What you used it for, review, proofread, finding an agent,...? Some of the "pros" out there denigrate the website.

I had someone review my book on fiverr.com, and she was great. Many people applied, but they were not native American speakers, and my book has a ton of cliches, illiterate expressions and idioms. The slightly awkward word usage or the implied attitude in their replies gives them away.

The reviewer told me one "character" (it was more like a ghost than a person) which I had kind of wondered about, did not work. She was honest, and told me why it did not work, rather than attempting to please and appease, and even suggested a workaround. To top that off, she was salivating to read a copy of another unpublished gem in a different genre, and she would do it for free.

A nice, rather flattering experience.

One thing stopping me. Proofrreading (sic) . At 10c a word, 118,000 words, that's $12,000.

Wonder if I should just wing it... spellchecker will catch most of it, but not stuff like "form" for "from" or "fro" instead of "for"...

Wait a minute, maybe there's a list of commonly overlooked words by auto-spellcheckers...of course...

Some cringeworthy goof-ups:

Last edited by TheInterocitor; 25-02-2018 at 13:19.